House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
samtheman

Royal Docks

Yes the joke is that there's nothing "Royal" about them and that they're still a dump but does anyone on here live there?

I don't particularly need the insight of someone who once went through Canning Town and made up their opinion there since I've spent many weekends there (I do dragonboat racing on Royal Albert Dock) and already have a good (positive and negative) feel for the place but can't quite tell what it would be like to actually live there.

The obvious attraction to many people are the modern buildings (if that's your thing) and the seemingly affordable prices.

I've had a few friends who had a quick look at the area when looking to buy and immediately switched their focus on "nicer", "leafier" areas quite often in South East London. However the places they've considered would simply be out of the question for me as transport access is particularly important to me, probably more than the average Londoner. Both my partner and I can currently walk to work (although I tend to take the DLR into Canary Wharf anyway) and it's something we value quite highly.

Yes the joke is that there's nothing "Royal" about them and that they're still a dump but does anyone on here live there?

I don't particularly need the insight of someone who once went through Canning Town and made up their opinion there since I've spent many weekends there (I do dragonboat racing on Royal Albert Dock) and already have a good (positive and negative) feel for the place but can't quite tell what it would be like to actually live there.

The obvious attraction to many people are the modern buildings (if that's your thing) and the seemingly affordable prices.

I've had a few friends who had a quick look at the area when looking to buy and immediately switched their focus on "nicer", "leafier" areas quite often in South East London. However the places they've considered would simply be out of the question for me as transport access is particularly important to me, probably more than the average Londoner. Both my partner and I can currently walk to work (although I tend to take the DLR into Canary Wharf anyway) and it's something we value quite highly.

Used to live at the end of the Royal Docks (Galleons Reach E16) a few years back and quite liked, especially walking/cycling some of the more remote Thames shoreline. This was before the new DLR stations went in. Seemed to be a bit cheaper that the Royal Docks.

Not quite within walking distance of Canary Wharf but certainly within cycling distance. The prices (rental and to buy) only seem to have risen modestly in the past ten years. When I moved there the prices were a bit depressed due to the scale of the new building. Galleons Reach and Becton are nearby for shopping. I quite liked Barrier Park too.

I think the only real problem is that a lot were bought for investment so a dominance of BTL, so might find a bit soulless and never quite knowing who your neighbours are, but as a tenant myself that didn't really bother me.

Edited by aSecureTenant

A friend used to live in Royal Victoria overlooking the docks and the crane. Her flat was OK I think compared to some of the newer build around Canary Wharf but it was really quiet. There's not much there and transport over the weekend can be very slow on the DLR. This was back in 2006 - 2007 but don't think much has changed since.

Everything is priced in though so therefore the cheaper price.

Have you considered Woolwich? With Crossrail makes it easier to go to the West End.

Pros and cons?

Pros:

Cheap

Doesn't look rough

Nice by the dock

Cable car!

Crossrail in 5 years at custom house

Cons

Nothing there

Under flightpath

Anyone know any more????