House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Techie Question Re: My Smart Phone

Have joined the 21st century and bought my first ever (android) smartphone.

typing text messages is such a joy now (and vastly faster!) via the on-screen keyboard.

BUT....I notice that when trying to bypass my stubby fingertips and using something more 'pointed', like the plastic top of a biro or such like, there is no response at all.

The screen only responds to fingertip action, whether sizing photos taken with the camera, 'turning' a screen page, etc.

Just curious what the 'physics' behind these displays is, that distinguishes between fingertip and inanimate object.

Anyone?

Just curious what the 'physics' behind these displays is, that distinguishes between fingertip and inanimate object.

Anyone?

I assume someones finger conducts electricity and the inanimate object doesn't.

I assume someones finger conducts electricity and the inanimate object doesn't.

There's 2 different technologies, "resistive" and "capacitive".

"capacitive" is more expensive and so is considered "must have". It uses the capacitance of your finger tip to detect a press. So, no use with a pen end, or when wearing gloves, or fingernails, or anything else really.

"Resistive" uses pressure-sensitive layers to detect pressure, so anything can press on the screen to register a press. So you can use the phone with gloves on, or using a pen lid or anything at all. I like to type on the onscreen keybord with the corner of a fingernail for extra accuracy.

Of course Resistive is "obsolete" so good luck getting one these days. I have a low-grade Chinese import but even those are going over to capacitive now.

"capacitive" is more expensive and so is considered "must have". It uses the capacitance of your finger tip to detect a press. So, no use with a pen end, or when wearing gloves, or fingernails, or anything else really.

"Resistive" uses pressure-sensitive layers to detect pressure, so anything can press on the screen to register a press. So you can use the phone with gloves on, or using a pen lid or anything at all. I like to type on the onscreen keybord with the corner of a fingernail for extra accuracy.

Of course Resistive is "obsolete" so good luck getting one these days. I have a low-grade Chinese import but even those are going over to capacitive now.

Ah Centurion Forte, I still have a dumb phone! It does talk and text! :blink:

Ah Centurion Forte, I still have a dumb phone! It does talk and text! :blink:

not so dumb if it talks and texts.

..."capacitive" is more expensive and so is considered "must have". It uses the capacitance of your finger tip to detect a press. So, no use with a pen end, or when wearing gloves, or fingernails, or anything else really...

The term 'capacitive' seems to imply that a persons finger doesn't create a continuous circuit as such. So you touch the screen, your finger stores electricity (tiny amounts obviously), when you lift your finger away, then your finger somehow discharges?

The term 'capacitive' seems to imply that a persons finger doesn't create a continuous circuit as such. So you touch the screen, your finger stores electricity (tiny amounts obviously), when you lift your finger away, then your finger somehow discharges?

Could be due to the electrical activity in your nerves.

Try google :- Capacitive stylus

There's always an altrusitic SMART A**E. I am reasonably au fait with Google and could have done this myself IF I knew what keyword (i.e capacitive) to type in. The alternative would have been loads of time wasted surfing around the web researching screen technologies, when all I wanted was a simple intellectual 'itch' scratched - hence my asking about the 'physics' first. Duh!

Thanks to everyone else for your kind input (pun intended).

Wot he said.

You can buy gloves now which have special finger-tips which allow you to use a capacitive screen whilst wearing the gloves. Not sure whether sure pointers exist - I suspect so.