House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
anonguest

Turning Land Into 'agricultural' Land

Much has been written on this board by many with regards trying to use nominally 'empty' countryside plots of land, labelled loosely as 'agricultural', to build a home on - with long lists of resulting explanations listing the many hurdles vis a vis planning regulations.

BUT.....a converse question comes to mind.

What IF, hypothetically, one buys a plot of land that officially is designated as 'amenity' land or such like and deliberately wishes to immediately put it to use to 'grow stuff' on it - either arable or livestock. In other words want to turn it into active agricultural 'smallholding'.

Someone please tell me that the draconian planning laws we live don't require permission to do this as well!!? Would I really need to fill out paperwork and involve some civil servant somewhere? Or would i just be able to get on with it?

Edited by anonguest

You wouldn't want to change it to agri. if you ever wanted to have it as residential again.

What amenity land? You'd need to apply for change of use and it might have deed restrictions on it to overcome.

Talking to someone on allotment today about smallholdings.

Lots of sites - this one has 300+ on for sale.

http://www.greenshifters.co.uk/for_sale

You wouldn't want to change it to agri. if you ever wanted to have it as residential again.

What amenity land? You'd need to apply for change of use and it might have deed restrictions on it to overcome.

Talking to someone on allotment today about smallholdings.

Lots of sites - this one has 300+ on for sale.

http://www.greenshifters.co.uk/for_sale

Thanks. Interesting link in its own right but.....these all seem to relate to plots with buildings.

I am referring to just empty land.

The use of the word 'amenity' may have been inappropriate. I was merely quoting the sort of oft seen EA descriptions, such as 'amenity land' or 'meadow', etc.

Very simply I am talking about land which may well be in nominally rural (and hence largely agricultural rather than industrial) locations. That is not being farmed and which may have nothing more than, say, horses on it - and then putting it to use to grow stuff.

An oversized purely private and personal allotment if you will.

Does such change of use of such land really need to be notified to anyone?

Edited by anonguest

Depends on who lives next to it and who will ring the planning department. And what you do of course.

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/10414-what-is-amenity-land/

Hmmmmm.....Interesting. Thanks.

So...IF I were to indulge myself and buy an acre+ sized gated plot by the side of some country road and start growing spuds and beans and the like, where previously there was nowt, then I could technically get into 'trouble' for not notifying the some relevant body somewhere?

The reason for not notifying anyone is, apart from the fact that in my mind its none of their business if I casually become a weekend/hobby 'farmer', to deliberately not risk the land being formally designated agricultural - and so restrict its future use for other purposes.

Presumably IF whatever is grown on the land, be it spuds or chickens, is done purely for private end-use and not openly and clearly for commercial gain then there would be no risk of it being designated 'agricultural' by some member of TPTB ?

Hmmmmm.....Interesting. Thanks.

So...IF I were to indulge myself and buy an acre+ sized gated plot by the side of some country road and start growing spuds and beans and the like, where previously there was nowt, then I could technically get into 'trouble' for not notifying the some relevant body somewhere?

The reason for not notifying anyone is, apart from the fact that in my mind its none of their business if I casually become a weekend/hobby 'farmer', to deliberately not risk the land being formally designated agricultural - and so restrict its future use for other purposes.

Presumably IF whatever is grown on the land, be it spuds or chickens, is done purely for private end-use and not openly and clearly for commercial gain then there would be no risk of it being designated 'agricultural' by some member of TPTB ?

Allotments are amenity I think. Although there's debate on whether they're agricultural if planning decide they want you to have shed permission>

Don't sell anything and you're not commercial.