House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rave

Leveson

Funny how one can go in the space of a few short months from really hating the likes of the Mail and the Sun, to hating the anti-free-press brigade who'd neuter them even more. Hacked Off, I'm looking at you, you traitorous scumbags.

Basically I am utterly aghast at proposals that the popular press must join a state approved regulator, or be liable for the complainant's costs in any libel case, even if they win- the legal framework for which has already been passed by parliament:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/22/contents/enacted

...see clauses 34-42.

Private Eye put me on to this; and reported on a meeting of, I think, the Parliamentary Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport, where Hacked Off supporters turned up mob handed and were apparently even reserved seats. That makes me indescribably furious.

I am a drunk and disorganised man, but if I have to get up at 4am to get in the proper queue early enough to see the next meeting where this is discussed I will set my alarm, and print up a suitably antagonistic T-Shirt. Thing is I can't figure out the (IMO deliberately obfuscatory) parliament website:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/committees/select/

If anyone can figure out when the next Leveson related hearing is so that I can turn up to register my disgust at this travesty in the making, your help would be much appreciated.

#censorship

I don't approve of any censorship, Mr Rave! The word of Pin is truth! There is only one higher authority, and I don't believe! :blink:

Oh well they've gone and shafted us all anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24746137

So now with my thinking hat on, I couldn't help but notice that:

Under the royal charter' date=' the Press Complaints Commission will be replaced by a new regulator with greater powers, and a watchdog - the recognition panel - which will check the regulator remains independent.

The regulator, set up by the press but without any editors on the board, will draw up a standards code and will be able to impose fines of up to £1m.

It will also provide a speedy arbitration service to deal with complaints.

The recognition panel will be made up of between four and eight members, none of whom can be journalists, civil servants or MPs.[/quote']

No mention of who actually will make up the panel, so I guess in that case it's a free for all...so I'll be submitting my CV! :) My qualifications: well informed member of the public who cares about the freedom of the press. I'll type the CV up tomorrow and start a blog to track my progress or lack of it, in the meantime if anyone can figure out who I send that CV to please help me out and keep me motivated to make an important difference! :)

Apparently nobody gives a shit. Alright then, please do one thing to help me, tell me how to record phone calls spent applying for the job, got a Motorola D811 here that ought to be capable of it. Please! :)

Apparently nobody gives a shit.

Not at 1.07AM and 4.43AM on a Thursday they don't!

TBH I think most people are resigned to the politicians going ahead of with this and interfering with press freedom. Not that any of the papers are actually going to sign up to it anyway.....

My guess is the papers simply set up online versions of their papers offshore beyond the reach of the UK government and then simply print the stories the UK authorities do not like in those jurisdictions.

Providing it is done through a separate network of companies run at arms length I am not sure what options the UK government would have apart from trying to block the relevant sites at ISP level

The Guardian is already using that approach for their Snowden revelations

The red tops and tabloids will find it even easier to do with the sort of stuff they publish since most of it has no security implications and in places such as the US they would be protected by the 1st Amendment of the US constitution. Somehow I don't see HMG going down the road of blocking mainsteam US web sites

In the end all the government will succeed in doing is exporting UK media jobs offshore

My guess is the papers simply set up online versions of their papers offshore beyond the reach of the UK government and then simply print the stories the UK authorities do not like in those jurisdictions.

Providing it is done through a separate network of companies run at arms length I am not sure what options the UK government would have apart from trying to block the relevant sites at ISP level

The Guardian is already using that approach for their Snowden revelations

The red tops and tabloids will find it even easier to do with the sort of stuff they publish since most of it has no security implications and in places such as the US they would be protected by the 1st Amendment of the US constitution. Somehow I don't see HMG going down the road of blocking mainsteam US web sites

In the end all the government will succeed in doing is exporting UK media jobs offshore

Lets hope so. Last thing we need is more Journalists.