House Price Crash Forum

Big Cat Found In Shed

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24674106

Always liked these.

The number plate on the front always looks like an afterthought, which is probably how a car should be designed.

Brakes were pretty shocking though alllefgdly.

They were! Mine was a 1964 3.8 drop-head. Sold it, almost eaten away by rust, for £250 in 1970. I still remember it fondly, though.

HOLA443

They were! Mine was a 1964 3.8 drop-head. Sold it, almost eaten away by rust, for £250 in 1970. I still remember it fondly, though.

Good Bruce! They did rust though! :o

HOLA444
HOLA445

I count myself lucky in a way.

Old enough to see the shocking effect of rust on a car, young enough never to have bought one that did.

Jag must have been a blast. Hard to park I guess with the long bonnet.

HOLA446

You must be older than I had assumed.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The number plate on the front always looks like an afterthought, which is probably how a car should be designed.

I wonder how much longer it will be until we get electronic identification of cars, just think if every car no longer had a number plate slapped on front, how much more aerodynamic they would be saving petrol and the environment.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I wonder how much longer it will be until we get electronic identification of cars, just think if every car no longer had a number plate slapped on front, how much more aerodynamic they would be saving petrol and the environment.

I don't think number plates have a huge impact on aerodynamics to be honest. But you are right. I suspect that the number plate will not go away. But maybe it will have some sort of rf ID embedded in it. I read somewhere about a new type of cop car that automatically reads the plates, sends em back to dvlc and then buzzes the cop if no insurance etc.

HOLA4411

I don't think number plates have a huge impact on aerodynamics to be honest. But you are right. I suspect that the number plate will not go away. But maybe it will have some sort of rf ID embedded in it. I read somewhere about a new type of cop car that automatically reads the plates, sends em back to dvlc and then buzzes the cop if no insurance etc.

Automatic Number Plate Readers. Been around for at least a decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_plate_recognition

The increasing use of ANPR is one reason why the rate of number plate theft and cloning has gone through the roof.

HOLA4412

I read somewhere that Jaguar had to use a stick on plate to hit the magic 150MPH.

You must be older than I had assumed.

I was still in my teens when I sold it, I started work at 15. Not too many years before I get my state pension though.

HOLA4413

As StuG says, ANPR has been around for a fair while now. 6-7 years ago when I was a proper banger enthusiast I thought nothing of nipping the half a mile to my local MOT station uninsured to see if it was worth renewing the insurance on one or other of my fleet. And yes I know it was naughty, but at the time I made my living as a driver, so I was capable of incredibly defensive driving, and I could have covered the costs of anything other than a freakish accident out of my pocket.

Now I see more than my fair share of cop cars, as the local met vehicle depot is at the end of my road. And a fair percentage of them - mainly Skoda Octavia VRS-es- have a black wrap on the front bonnet with 'ANPR Interceptor' overlaid in very bold lettering! :ph34r: I've seen plenty of quite respectable looking cars at the roadside with massive stickers on the back along the lines of 'seized 'cos it was uninsured'. 6 points and a £500 fine- I sort my MOTs out in good time now :rolleyes: .

As for E-Types - meh. I'd much rather have a manual V12 XJ-S!

HOLA4414

As StuG says, ANPR has been around for a fair while now. 6-7 years ago when I was a proper banger enthusiast I thought nothing of nipping the half a mile to my local MOT station uninsured to see if it was worth renewing the insurance on one or other of my fleet. And yes I know it was naughty, but at the time I made my living as a driver, so I was capable of incredibly defensive driving, and I could have covered the costs of anything other than a freakish accident out of my pocket.

Now I see more than my fair share of cop cars, as the local met vehicle depot is at the end of my road. And a fair percentage of them - mainly Skoda Octavia VRS-es- have a black wrap on the front bonnet with 'ANPR Interceptor' overlaid in very bold lettering! :ph34r: I've seen plenty of quite respectable looking cars at the roadside with massive stickers on the back along the lines of 'seized 'cos it was uninsured'. 6 points and a £500 fine- I sort my MOTs out in good time now :rolleyes: .

As for E-Types - meh. I'd much rather have a manual V12 XJ-S!

My brother in law had one! Frankly, the auto-box was better! ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

3-speed GM? You may well be right, but I still can't be doing with only three forward gears on principle!

Later ones had a different transmission! I don't think you need to worry about gears with an engine that size.

I only have driven one XJS, and it was not owned by me! Twas indeed a 6 cylinder one! Nice to drive, bugger to maintain, I think! :blink:

We went to the Jaguar do, in 2001, at Donnington, 25 years of XJS, and I had never seen so many in my life! :blink:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Or a 427 Shelby Cobra. A guy gave me a go in one when I had the "E", most brutal car I've ever driven :D.

That sounds nice! I still have a Ford Mustang, but a 302, from 1990! The engine is far better than the brakes. :huh:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Of course, it's American :lol:.

I dunno how they live with it! The lights are crap too! If you have ever driven a Capri, it's like one of those, but with a bucket load of torque!

Mechanically, it is excellent! It needs an MOT soon! It will pass! Those Shelby Cobras must be quite something! I do love motors me! :huh:

But not expensive ones! ;) I'm a tightwad.

HOLA4421

I dunno how they live with it! The lights are crap too! If you have ever driven a Capri, it's like one of those, but with a bucket load of torque!

Mechanically, it is excellent! It needs an MOT soon! It will pass! Those Shelby Cobras must be quite something! I do love motors me! :huh:

But not expensive ones! ;) I'm a tightwad.

I had a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger 289, now that was interesting :rolleyes:.

The Cobra was awesome, but Carroll Shelby was not your average American car designer.

HOLA4422

I had a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger 289, now that was interesting :rolleyes:.

The Cobra was awesome, but Carroll Shelby was not your average American car designer.

The Sunbeam company (Rootes Group) was unfortunately bought by Chrysler! No place for a Ford engine was there?

One of my friend's dad had one of those!

Bloody good engine! :blink:

I confess, i am an unrepentant petrolhead! :blink:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

That would explain why you don't have a proper 1965 Fastback... :P;)

I don't pay "stupid amounts of money" Mr chronyx"!

I just like fun cars! And I get cheap insurance!! £140 last year. I'm on the wrong thread! :blink:

HOLA4425

I don't pay "stupid amounts of money" Mr chronyx"!

I just like fun cars! And I get cheap insurance!! £140 last year. I'm on the wrong thread! :blink:

It's only £25,000! Do a quick MEW and have enough left for a cruise, or two tanks of 'gas' ;)

Archived