House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

London Rents Are So High It Is Now Cheaper To Commute From Barcelona...

There are quite a few people who commute from Morzine. There is a special Monday morning/Friday night taxi service for them.

Yes - this analysis is fine but its based on weekday flights in November which is the cheapest month of the year and least busy as no one is travelling in the lead up to Christmas.

Try doing the analysis for July and August when you would be lucky to get a return flight for less than £150.

So its a nice concept - but only works probably in November and February!

The London job market is still quite anemic, it beggars belief that they have still managed to pump up another property bubble with wage claims under so much pressure.

The London job market is still quite anemic, it beggars belief that they have still managed to pump up another property bubble with wage claims under so much pressure.

A lot of it is still from housing benefit. In my area (London suburb) not cheap, a family on benefits would still be able to get approx 70%+ of their rent paid by the state (using the area average rent). I did a FOI request recently asking how many households in the PRS in my area get housing benefit (LHA) and it was a staggering amount, at least 33%, so even people in work are getting it. So, all the talk about free markets and supply and demand is ********. The PRS is basically being heavily subsidised by benefits.

There is an alternative - move to near Stansted airport and cut out the flight. You can get houses in the centre of Stansted Mountfitchet village which has a station for less than £200k!

A lot of it is still from housing benefit...

I used to think that but now I'm not so certain. The LHA rates in my area of London are well below what seems to be average rents charged, so I wonder how much of a contribution housing benefit is really making.

There is a 3 bedroom house near ish to me that has 11 people living in it. All single, unrelated EE people. Now how can a couple earning average money complete with the combined earning power of 11 people?

We all know how high London rents are without subjection to this silly genre of journalistic pap. Much of the anomolies have been pointed out above, and adding to them would give the article credence which it ill deserves.

There is a 3 bedroom house near ish to me that has 11 people living in it. All single, unrelated EE people. Now how can a couple earning average money complete with the combined earning power of 11 people?

This is the exact reason the Poll Tax was introduced in the early 90s.

Edited by bomberbrown

Except it was not the Poll Tax, it was the "Community Charge". a lot of people I knew moved around a bit to avoid it! :blink:

Care to elaborate what was so funny? In the 90s this was the sole reason that the Poll Tax was touted (rightly or wrongly) by the government at the time as the fairest rates/tax system.

Except it was not the Poll Tax, it was the "Community Charge". a lot of people I knew moved around a bit to avoid it! :blink:

Seriously, have I confused two separate things? In my defence I was in the army abroad in Germany and only 23 at the time so only had scant information.

Care to elaborate what was so funny? In the 90s this was the sole reason that the Poll Tax was touted (rightly or wrongly) by the government at the time as the fairest rates/tax system.

You implied that the poll tax was introduced to keep rents and house-prices under control. That's not just funny, it's hysterical.

I used to think that but now I'm not so certain. The LHA rates in my area of London are well below what seems to be average rents charged, so I wonder how much of a contribution housing benefit is really making.

Do a FOI request. Ask how many households in private rented property are receiving Local Housing Allowance (partially or in full) in a specific postcode area that your council covers. I was also surprised but note that people can get all the LHA amount of some of it. The figure I quoted above was all households receiving SOME LHA in my postcode district.

Also, you might want to check with your council that the property you mentioned has permission to use as a HMO. I doubt that 11 people in a 3 bed is legal.

Edited by fru-gal

Seriously, have I confused two separate things? In my defence I was in the army abroad in Germany and only 23 at the time so only had scant information.

Sorry Mr Bomber! Not everything I say is "funny"! Sometimes I have a serious face. :blink:

Also, you might want to check with your council that the property you mentioned has permission to use as a HMO. I doubt that 11 people in a 3 bed is legal.

Agreed and then inform the fire officer, and environmental health

As others have stated, it's probably illegal to have 11 people in a 3 bedroom terraced house. The council are most likely unaware of the number of people living there.

As others have stated, it's probably illegal to have 11 people in a 3 bedroom terraced house. The council are most likely unaware of the number of people living there.

So report it already!

1382795523[/url]' post='909418945']

You implied that the poll tax was introduced to keep rents and house-prices under control. That's not just funny, it's hysterical.

No I did not. You arrived at that conclusion all by yourself. huh.gif

Let me spell it out, what I was getting at was that under the poll tax/community charge system, the local council/government would have had 11 x the amount of tax against the house (per person) rather than 1 x amount of tax (against the property itself). Whether this was a fairer system than the rates system before it is another debate.

No I did not. You arrived at that conclusion all by yourself. huh.gif

How else am I meant to interpret that?

<br />How else am I meant to interpret that?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ahh, OK, I was posting succinctly on mobile and had to be fast to get off at my train stop. I knew what I meant but couldn't for the life of me understand your emoticon only response either. I think we both got wrong ends of the stick.

In further response about the over crowded house situation, this was what the poll tax was brought into to avoid. At a time of high house costs in the early nineties, it would deter many young people living 8 or 9 to a house as they all would have to pay the charge, rather than the rates on the house like before.

In further response about the over crowded house situation, this was what the poll tax was brought into to avoid. At a time of high house costs in the early nineties, it would deter many young people living 8 or 9 to a house as they all would have to pay the charge, rather than the rates on the house like before.

This may have been a consequence, but I don't believe for a moment that it was the intent. If you can point to any tory statement from the time that contradicts that, I'd be fascinated.

To clarify, it was claimed that it was about fairness - that it was individuals that consumed local services, not houses - but in reality it was about giving the rich a tax-break.

Edited by tomandlu

This may have been a consequence, but I don't believe for a moment that it was the intent. If you can point to any tory statement from the time that contradicts that, I'd be fascinated.

To clarify, it was claimed that it was about fairness - that it was individuals that consumed local services, not houses - but in reality it was about giving the rich a tax-break.

I thought it was meant to make local councils accountable to the population they served(?). Yeah OK i know local authorities think the population are meant to be the servants but that isn't the official line.

I must confess I find your statement a bit paranoid.