House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Making A Website With Wordpress

A quick IT question for those in the know.....

I have a registered web domain, used solely till now for personalised email.

The service provider also, as is common, also offers webhosting services.

I fancy, just for the fun/hell of it, putting together a relatively simple personal/family/etc website. Only once, many many years ago, came remotely this close to doing this - when it was barely into the WYSIWYG era and it was all writing lines of HTML code. Very daunting!

Ideally want to first create said website on my own PC at home - and then upload relevant files to webhoster.

Have been advised to use Wordpress for the job.

BUT...although webhost company offers use of Wordpress I don't just yet want to fork out money for monthly hosting fees.

Hence first create website 'at home' locally on my PC.

So that I don't waste time adopting the wrong approach.......

QUESTION: I am safe in assuming that this can be done? I can create a Wordpress based website 'locally' and then upload....?

OR....will there be 'incompatibilities' and so much tweaking/changing of settings/etc that it will be more time effective to create the site from the outset 'online'?

Thanks.

Installing Wordpress on your own hosting is easy enough - they give very straightforward instructions on how to do it.

You'll need to create a database, then install and configure WP to run on it, which is a lot easier than it might sound. To be honest, if you're looking at initially doing it on your local PC, then you might decide that you don't even need WP, depending on what you want to use your site for (ie do you really need the blogging / dynamic features or will a static site suffice).

The only thing that can be a little tricky is to integrate WP into your existing site design, so I'd advise googling "free Wordpress templates" and designing your site using one of those - not only because they're easier to integrate WP into but because they generally look a lot more professional that anything the likes of us can produce ;)

I used Instant Wordpress to do exactly what you're asking. Trouble is, you have to spend quite a bit of effort and working out time transferring the finished site up to your hosting. Plug-ins such as 'Search & Replace' make the transfer possible, but you'll need to learn about using phpmyadmin and setting up the database etc. All very do-able if you have the brain for it though, if you've dabbled in the past you will manage it with plenty of googling, as I did.

If I was doing it again, although Instant Word press was great, I think for the price of hosting I would just get hosting straight away and save myself the bother of having to transfer. The same process applies to any transferring any local version of Wordpress I think. The plus side I guess is you learn an awful lot more about how it actually works than if you just did the one-click install on a hosting site and went from there.

Assuming you have a PC you can download from Microsoft a Wordpress development kit which is basically your full Wordpress web site, DB, etc, and tools which allow you to author your own Wordpress website. You can then, at a click, author on your local site and upload the new content to your live web space.

Download the wizard, run it, follow the rules. Simples.

Invoice in the post.

Assuming you have a PC you can download from Microsoft a Wordpress development kit which is basically your full Wordpress web site, DB, etc, and tools which allow you to author your own Wordpress website. You can then, at a click, author on your local site and upload the new content to your live web space.

Download the wizard, run it, follow the rules. Simples.

Invoice in the post.

I assume you are referring to the Microsoft Webmatrix ??

I have downloaded that and installed Wordpress, and just now fired it up......

My earlier question was to just be sure that I don't 'waste' hours of time creating a website on my PC and find that there is no easy way to upload the resulting 'project' to my webhosting company (when I sign up for webhosting, to add to my email service)

Thanks though

If your main concern is not to waste money on hosting while your site is in development yet not to waste time developing something which later turns out to be incompatible with your host, I'd suggest you look at setting up your own virtual server with a cloud provider who bills by the hour. If you know or could learn a bit of linux, the highly regarded DigitalOcean will rent you a more than capable cloud server for $5 a month pro rata for an hour at a time. You could launch a new server, install Wordpress on it, deploy a test version of your site, and when you're happy to continue developing offline for a while you can create a snapshot image of your server and destroy the instance, you'll then not pay anything further until you want to spin up your server again using the snapshot. Windows based options are available elsewhere though not usually as cheaply, but the main player in this field Amazon AWS have a free tier including a Windows option, which you can use for one year for nothing.