House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Allergic To Shoes

It seems a totally genuine condition so I can see that she would have trouble working.

I don't however see why she then gets £110 a week when somebody else unemployed gets £70.

It seems a totally genuine condition so I can see that she would have trouble working.

I don't however see why she then gets £110 a week when somebody else unemployed gets £70.

I don't either. Baffling.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I've often wondered why the rate for "sickness benefit" (long term rate anyway) is higher than "unemployment benefit".

Is there an implicit assumption that, on average, people who are ill might need extra to live on e.g. more heating, taxis etc?

I would say that it'd be impossible for her to work outside her home, given all the things that she could come into contact with at a work-place that would set off a reaction.

However I do wonder if she could work from home. But that then brings up the problem of general flare ups of her condition, if they occur frequently enough and in enough severity then that would be impossible too. No employer, even if the work is home-based, is going to want an employee that randomly cannot work one week out of every six. There was the mention in the article of a flare-up that left her unable to see.

On this I would leave the decision to her doctors since they will know better than anyone else her personal medical circumstances, and ATOS certainly should not be making such calls. It's completely unqualified to make them.

I've often wondered why the rate for "sickness benefit" (long term rate anyway) is higher than "unemployment benefit".

Is there an implicit assumption that, on average, people who are ill might need extra to live on e.g. more heating, taxis etc?

The extra for being sick was used to keep the unemployment figures down

On the point about taxis, rumour has it a lot of taxi drivers also claim sickness benefits

it's about motivation.

£110 a week because its proven & accepted that you can't work.

£70 a week because you can work and need motivating to go find work. (if you got £110 you might be too comfortable)

that's without broaching the all the various tax credit scams

that could net you a salary to rival a company director but that's a whole other thread ;-)

It sounds a bit far fetched! What woman is allergic to shoes? :blink: