House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rantnrave

Internal Job Application Advice

Hi all,

Would appreciate some objective views about some upcoming opportunities I'm facing at work. This is complicated though! Kind of chicken and egg.

My current role is changing, which I'm not wild about. Like the company, just not what is happening to my position. A better paid role came up in probably the only other department I could work in, which I went for. Got an interview, but not the job. The feedback given to me about why I didn't get it was vague. The panel felt I wasn't warm enough for a job that involved meeting new clients and trying to create a positive first impression. I take that on board, but since these are people I work with every day, it was hard to somehow imagine I was meeting them for the first time...

That was earlier this year. That department is now creating an additional identical post to the one I didn't get. I asked the team leader if there was still a chance for me to apply. She offered to meet and let me in on yet another job that was in the pipeline, a different role which she said was a better match based on my career and skills to date. (She can't offer that to me directly since all vacancies get advertised). She never answered whether it was worth me reapplying for the role I didn't get, so I pushed for an answer. The surprisingly positive atmosphere then soured somewhat, leaving me the impression that she would prefer if I didn't and only focus on this upcoming completely new role.

That's all fine, but neither she nor I know who will apply for that second role. I can hold off applying for the first one, which she all but told me to do, only to find a very strong candidate takes the second one. I'm then left kicking myself for not applying for the first one. Applying for the first one could jeopardise my chances for the second one (hope this all making sense). I would rather have the second job (it is a better fit) and I don't feel like moving company. Getting either of these jobs would be a boost in pay and responsibilities.

So, should I maximise my chances and apply for both, even though that seems to go against what the team leader (who makes the decision) wants and this may jeopardise my chance of getting the second by proving myself to be an unco-operative pain in the backside? Or do I just apply for the latter and hope a stronger candidate doesn't come along?

Appreciate any thoughts...

Tell the Team Leader you appreciate the heads up about the 2nd job in the pipeline and that you would be definitely applying. Also say that if they think the applications for the first job aren't very good, you would be prepared to help out by applying for that as well, if they ask you.

Tell the Team Leader you appreciate the heads up about the 2nd job in the pipeline and that you would be definitely applying. Also say that if they think the applications for the first job aren't very good, you would be prepared to help out by applying for that as well, if they ask you.

^This.

Sounds like they've already got you pencilled in as a strong candidate for the second job, so in any interviews for the first one they'd mentally be filing you away for later. Unlikely you'd do well interviewing for the first job then, particularly as you've been given strong hints twice that they don't think you're right for it.

Got an interview, but not the job. The feedback given to me about why I didn't get it was vague. The panel felt I wasn't warm enough for a job that involved meeting new clients and trying to create a positive first impression. I take that on board, but since these are people I work with every day, it was hard to somehow imagine I was meeting them for the first time...

Sounds like you work for a big corporate like I do. The policy here is that all internal roles must be advertised and posted on a website for all staff to see and to apply for. While that's fair, it's also extremely unfair when in a lot of cases a job is ear-marked for a particular person but the company has to be seen to advertise fairly. It's a waste of everyones time and often dents the confidence of other applicants when they're given a vague un-true account of why they didn't get an interview or the job.

I applied for a job here and was told I didn't have enough relevant experience, so thanks but no thanks to an interview. I've been working in a similar role for 20 years with tonnes of relevant experience. It really knocked my confidence.

The role I work in now, my Boss specifically asked for me, the job was mine, but we had to go through all the pretence of advertising and interviewing other people.

All I'm saying is if people are vague with reasons, there's probably something more going on which has nothing to do with you or your interview.

Back on track, apply for both and good luck!

Sounds like you work for a big corporate like I do. The policy here is that all internal roles must be advertised and posted on a website for all staff to see and to apply for. While that's fair, it's also extremely unfair when in a lot of cases a job is ear-marked for a particular person but the company has to be seen to advertise fairly. It's a waste of everyones time and often dents the confidence of other applicants when they're given a vague un-true account of why they didn't get an interview or the job.

I'm not so sure it's such a bad thing, as I've seen the "golden boy" who was earmarked for the job being blown out of the water by the other candidate that came in better prepared.