House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Fgm: 'it's Like Neutering Animals' – The Film That Is Changing Kurdistan

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/female-genital-mutilation-film-changing-kurdistan-law

The story of the 10-year fight against female genital mutilation by two film-makers has been made into a hour long documentary by the Guardian and BBC Arabic and will go out across the Arab world from Friday, reaching a combined global audience of 30 million viewers. This is the Guardian's web version of that film

It started out as a film about a practice that has afflicted tens of millions of women worldwide. It culminated in a change in the law.

Ten years after they embarked on a documentary to investigate the extent of female genital mutilation in Kurdistan, two film-makers have found their work changing more than just opinions in a fiercely conservative part of the world. Partly as a result of the film, the numbers of girls being genitally mutilated in the villages and towns of Iraqi Kurdistan has fallen by more than half in the last five years.

Shara Amin and Nabaz Ahmed spent 10 years on the roads of Kurdistan speaking to women and men about the impact of female genital mutilation (FGM) on their lives, their children and their marriages. "It took a lot of time to convince them to speak to us. This was a very taboo subject. Speaking about it on camera was a very brave thing to do.

Just horrific, although reading this it appears it's women doing the mutilation on other women obviously for religious regions.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/female-genital-mutilation-film-changing-kurdistan-law

Just horrific, although reading this it appears it's women doing the mutilation on other women obviously for religious regions.

Its more cultural (its common in many non muslim african tribes) than religious and these people in the 'turkic regions' really are in the stone age.

A more amusing anecdote - my GF was telling me about her Aunt who is a Midwife and did some work on the Iranian side of Kurdistan promoting family planning. She did a demo of how to use condoms to a group of Kurd / turkic farmers. Lacking props she used her thumb to demonstrate putting on a condom. A couple of months later this farmer comes into her office shouting and complaining his wife is pregant despitye putting a condom on his thumb everytime they had sex. :D

No less moronic than those christian 'missionaries' of a couple hundred years ago.

Its their culture. Let them get on with it. Nothing to do with us. I dont want to be blown up by some bearded twit because these idiots go and feel the need to invade and westernize every corner of the globe.

Why, when infant males are genitally mutilated, it's considered just fine?

Totally different thing! About 70% of men in America are circumsized, apparently, I read somewhere. Not so popular in Europe!

Although I agree, the kid has little say in it! Doesn't seem to do much harm, but probably doesn't do much good either.

Cutting women's parts is a bad thing in Pin World! Basically, removing the fun button. For those of you of a religious persuasion, it's a part that God gave ladies, and now mere men think it's OK to take it away. No Heaven for you guys! :o

Its more cultural (its common in many non muslim african tribes) than religious and these people in the 'turkic regions' really are in the stone age.

A more amusing anecdote - my GF was telling me about her Aunt who is a Midwife and did some work on the Iranian side of Kurdistan promoting family planning. She did a demo of how to use condoms to a group of Kurd / turkic farmers. Lacking props she used her thumb to demonstrate putting on a condom. A couple of months later this farmer comes into her office shouting and complaining his wife is pregant despitye putting a condom on his thumb everytime they had sex. :D

Some people need very explicit instructions, Mr Barlow. :P , as they won't get the analogy! I've met people like that.

Totally different thing! About 70% of men in America are circumsized.

South Korea too, it's in the 90% and not for any religious reasons.

The female variety is pretty much unheard of in large parts of the Muslim world: Pakistan, India, Saudi, Gulf, Iran etc etc. It exists in a handful of countries, a Pre - Islamic custom, not mentioned in the Quran (Bible or Torah). It's not fundamental to any doctrine so should be easy to stamp out - just needs education.

The male variety would be more difficult to tackle, I understand that theologically Muslims could abandon this also if it was shown to be medically harmful, not so easy for Jews.

South Korea too, it's in the 90% and not for any religious reasons.

The female variety is pretty much unheard of in large parts of the Muslim world: Pakistan, India, Saudi, Gulf, Iran etc etc. It exists in a handful of countries, a Pre - Islamic custom, not mentioned in the Quran (Bible or Torah). It's not fundamental to any doctrine so should be easy to stamp out - just needs education.

The male variety would be more difficult to tackle, I understand that theologically Muslims could abandon this also if it was shown to be medically harmful, not so easy for Jews.

Both Islamic and Jewish boys get the circumcision done. I have not looked up enough Arabic fannies to give any evidence! The only one I saw looked pretty in-tact, and un damaged! I'm not sure I would say this in the pub! :o

Both Islamic and Jewish boys get the circumcision done. I have not looked up enough Arabic fannies to give any evidence! The only one I saw looked pretty in-tact, and un damaged! I'm not sure I would say this in the pub! :o

Persian ones are as Allah intended ;)

Persian ones are as Allah intended ;)

Basically, you don't fiddle with your body, until something goes horribly wrong (like cars really!), and you DON'T do anything to somebody else's, when nothing is wrong! This is the Word of Pin! It is Truth! :blink:

I have no idea whether this practise is widespread in Iran.Certainly a North African thing! :huh:

Basically, you don't fiddle with your body, until something goes horribly wrong (like cars really!), and you DON'T do anything to somebody else's, when nothing is wrong! This is the Word of Pin! It is Truth! :blink:

I have no idea whether this practise is widespread in Iran.Certainly a North African thing! :huh:

Its more common in Kurdish communities. Iranians proper generally don't do such things to the ladies.

I was surprised to see how prevalent it is in Eygpt given that I tend to thing of Egyptians as having been civillised to some extent by European contact.

Its more common in Kurdish communities. Iranians proper generally don't do such things to the ladies.

I was surprised to see how prevalent it is in Eygpt given that I tend to thing of Egyptians as having been civillised to some extent by European contact.

That's good to know!

I was surprised too! I always think of Egypt as as being "civilised. But it is essentially, Egypt is in North Africa! Been there a few times!

Don't do whoring BTW! :blink:

"

Guest eight

Totally different thing! About 70% of men in America are circumsized, apparently, I read somewhere. Not so popular in Europe!

Although I agree, the kid has little say in it! Doesn't seem to do much harm, but probably doesn't do much good either.

I don't get it. Surely the foreskin is the best bit? I certainly wouldn't want to be without mine.

I don't get it. Surely the foreskin is the best bit? I certainly wouldn't want to be without mine.

I'm not without mine! I'm not sure what good it is, but you have to keep it hygienic! Women like clean, so please have a shower beforehand! And that applies to women too! :huh:

Can anyone make a genuine case in favour of male genital mutilation? I'm obviously opposed myself but I'm keen to hear the views of people who disagree with me.