House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House ACA

Red Tape

Just venting a bit here. I've heard people talk before about the Red Tape that holds people back, and I've just come across some.

The other half enjoys being crafty, sewing etc so thought it would be good to try make some pocket money making and selling simple stuffed toys. She was very enthusiastic until reading that because she'd be earning an income that she would have to register as self employed with HMRC, keep detailed receipts of costs, complete self assessments etc.

And because she'd be selling toys, they would need to be CE marked to comply with trading standards, which involves various ways of stress testing the toys, obtaining certificates from suppliers of the materials, everything from fabrics to the thread, of their compliance. No CE cert risks up to £5k fine, or prison- for making sock toys? So then should obtain product liability insurance in case any toy spontaneously combusts.

She's gone off the idea now. Dont need the hassle.

Just venting a bit here. I've heard people talk before about the Red Tape that holds people back, and I've just come across some.

The other half enjoys being crafty, sewing etc so thought it would be good to try make some pocket money making and selling simple stuffed toys. She was very enthusiastic until reading that because she'd be earning an income that she would have to register as self employed with HMRC, keep detailed receipts of costs, complete self assessments etc.

And because she'd be selling toys, they would need to be CE marked to comply with trading standards, which involves various ways of stress testing the toys, obtaining certificates from suppliers of the materials, everything from fabrics to the thread, of their compliance. No CE cert risks up to £5k fine, or prison- for making sock toys? So then should obtain product liability insurance in case any toy spontaneously combusts.

The upside being that with the taxes raised and the regulations in place we're all better safeguarded and cared for than we would be in a stateless region such as Somalia.

edit: added link to Benjamin Franklin quote to better communicate my ambivalence to the above assertion.

She doesn't have to sell them as toys. If she sells them as collectible 'suitable for adults only' then she'll be fine. Hawkins Bazaar have been doing that for years with their wind-up metal retro toys without being prosecuted.

She doesn't have to sell them as toys. If she sells them as collectible 'suitable for adults only' then she'll be fine. Hawkins Bazaar have been doing that for years with their wind-up metal retro toys without being prosecuted.

Yes this is the only way to do it.

There's other stuff to watch for though - I think there was a lady making Doctor Who stuff who was stamped on by the BBC a bit as she was infringing their copyright... Avoid anything that looks like anything they've ever made.

Yes this is the only way to do it.

There's other stuff to watch for though - I think there was a lady making Doctor Who stuff who was stamped on by the BBC a bit as she was infringing their copyright... Avoid anything that looks like anything they've ever made.

Jeremy Clarkson's mum made a fortune pirating Paddington bears. She did such a good job that in the end she became the official maker of them.

Couldn't happen nowadays, I'm sure.

Jeremy Clarkson's mum made a fortune pirating Paddington bears. She did such a good job that in the end she became the official maker of them.

Couldn't happen nowadays, I'm sure.

Shame she didn't spend the time bringing up her kids properly.