House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Selling A Number Plate

Hi All,

I've got an old motorbike that came with a private plate which is supposedly worth about £400.

The bike isn't worth a lot of money and it's just failed it's MOT with a blowing exhaust which due to the design of the bike is a major pain in the hole to get sorted.

Also, if once in bits I wasn't able to fix it, we're looking at about £400 to replace the exhaust.

So I'm thinking, cut my losses and sell off the private plate and flog the bike for "spares or repair".

However, one thing i'm not sure about from looking at the DVLA website is if the bike is on SORN can you actually do this?

If I can sell my plate, another one needs to be assigned to the bike and they'll want to sell me a taxdisc at the same time too which can't be done if I don't have a valid MOT. Or can it just remain SORN'd ?

Can someone clarify?

Cheers!

Hi All,

I've got an old motorbike that came with a private plate which is supposedly worth about £400.

The bike isn't worth a lot of money and it's just failed it's MOT with a blowing exhaust which due to the design of the bike is a major pain in the hole to get sorted.

Also, if once in bits I wasn't able to fix it, we're looking at about £400 to replace the exhaust.

So I'm thinking, cut my losses and sell off the private plate and flog the bike for "spares or repair".

However, one thing i'm not sure about from looking at the DVLA website is if the bike is on SORN can you actually do this?

If I can sell my plate, another one needs to be assigned to the bike and they'll want to sell me a taxdisc at the same time too which can't be done if I don't have a valid MOT. Or can it just remain SORN'd ?

Can someone clarify?

Cheers!

Sorry i don't know the answer to your question, but i do know that selling them is difficult (my partner has been trying to sell hers). Basically they have zero intrinsic value and you rely on someone wanting your particular one so badly they will part with the money. These businesses that sell them, basically list thousands they bought for a few quid and then make a living because one particular "5Haron" is stupid enough to part with thousands of pounds. My partners number plate is very similar to "M1ked" that is on sale for £15000, the same company offered her £100 for hers!

Can someone clarify?

Personalised vehicle registration numbers

Unless the bike was registered before 1960 then there appears to be no need to have a valid MOT.

It can be done with the bike "SORN" so long as the tax disc ran out within the last 12 months.

The problem would be if the tax disc ran out > 12 months ago in which case one would presumably need a valid MOT to get a new one.

If the vehicle is old enough to need an MOT certificate, then a valid MOT certificate, or a recently (within 12 months) expired MOT certificate, is required to transfer the plate.

This is deliberate policy to prevent plates being transferred from old vehicles that have sat rusting or being parted out in a shed for years.

You also need a current tax disc, or a recently expired (witihn 12 months) tax disc AND a valid SORN that started on the day the tax disc expired. If there is any gap between the SORN and the tax expiring, the vehicle must be retaxed.

If the vehicle is old enough to need an MOT certificate, then a valid MOT certificate, or a recently (within 12 months) expired MOT certificate, is required to transfer the plate.

This is deliberate policy to prevent plates being transferred from old vehicles that have sat rusting or being parted out in a shed for years.

You also need a current tax disc, or a recently expired (witihn 12 months) tax disc AND a valid SORN that started on the day the tax disc expired. If there is any gap between the SORN and the tax expiring, the vehicle must be retaxed.

Thanks Chumps! I don't think anyone will buy my number plates. Just a random sequence of letters and numbers, that I can't remember! :blink:

Hi All,

Can someone clarify?

Cheers!

When you say "old motorbike", is it a random old Honda, or a 1934 Whitley-Sprogworth "Flying Whippet" ? :blink:

When you say "old motorbike", is it a random old Honda, or a 1934 Whitley-Sprogworth "Flying Whippet" ? :blink:

Unfortunately just a random Honda.

A '92 Pacific Coast.....

Honda_PC800_01.jpg

Sorry i don't know the answer to your question...

Neither do I, but I do know that Private Number Plates scream NAFF. (Spot I know you didn't go out and buy it, I salute you wanting to get shot of it).

I've often tried to deconstruct what it is that I dislike about them so much? I understand there are different reasons for them, some people want to hide the age of their car, which strikes me as desperate, all it does is highlight to me that it's an... old(er) car. It's the initials or the names that are the worse, I mean you wouldn't put a sign in your rear view window saying "Hi everyone my name is Barry", that would be really weird, so why put it on your number plate? I guess at least I can put a name to the vain t*sser I'm driving behind. Saying that they do give me enjoyment with crimes of spacing and spelling in an effort to get the result they're after. As for Italics...

I wonder if anyone has the number plate "PEN 1 S". It's you Spot, isn't it? ;)

Actually if you sold on your funny number plate I reckon you would be re-issued with whatever it was originally registered with.

Guest unfunded_liability

+1

Did this a few years ago, bought an old car that had by chance a fancy registration, applied to the DVLA to get the fancy number put on a retention doc and at the same time got another plain number for my car. Put the retention doc up for sale on ebay, ended up getting twice the value of the car it had come off for it.

The vehicle does need a valid MOT and tax disc to get the number off it.

http://www.ftreg.com/blog/put-a-car-registration-onto-certificate-help/