House Price Crash Forum
Dorkins

60+ London Oyster Photocard

I was checking out public transport fares in London and happened across the 60+ London Oyster photocard:

You can get a 60+ London Oyster photocard if:

You are aged 60 or over

You live in a London borough

How much do I save?

You can travel free using your 60+ London Oyster photocard on:

Bus

Travel free at any time on buses in London showing this symbol [TfL symbol]

Tube, tram, DLR and London Overground

Travel free at any time

National Rail services in London

Travel free from 09.30 weekdays, any time on weekends and public holidays on most National Rail services in London, including services to Dartford and Swanley.

You can travel free at any time on:

Chiltern Railway services between:

- Amersham - Marylebone

- West Ruislip - South Ruislip

First Capital Connect services between:

- Finsbury Park - King's Cross or Moorgate

- West Hampstead - Moorgate, Elephant & Castle and London Bridge

London Midland services between:

- Harrow & Wealdstone - Euston

Greater Anglia services between:

- Stratford - Liverpool Street

c2c services between:

- Upminster - Fenchurch Street

In terms of where you can travel the 60+ Oyster photocard is pretty close to being an adult Zone 1-9 travelcard, which would cost somebody under 60 £3,168 per year!

I find it completely amazing that my London landlady who is easily a multimillionaire on paper gets free travel worth £3k per year paid for out of everybody else's taxes.

Over 60s bus pass does trams and buses here

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200786/transport/1110/bus_passes_for_people_over_60

If you are an eligible person aged over 60 and live in Greater Manchester you can apply for a national travel pass from Transport for Greater Manchester.

The pass allows you to travel free on any local bus in England between 9.30am and 11.00pm, Monday to Friday.

You will also be able to travel for free throughout Greater Manchester between 11.00pm and midnight, Monday to Friday.

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Tickets/Pages/tickets_low_fares_over60.aspx

*From 6 April 2010 the eligibility age for the National Concessionary Travel Pass changed to mirror the state pension age. This means the earliest date on which you can get your Pass will depend on when you were born and, if you were born on or after 6 April 1950, this date will be later than your 60th birthday. For men the eligible age is the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. Find out when you will be eligible using the Direct Gov website State Age Calculator here

I'll be able to get mine in 2036.

Edited by SarahBell

It's not just over 60s...

I know someone who is disabled, earns £27k in London and receives middle & lower rate DLA and the freedom pass too... The benefits/freedom pass must add up to £6.5k or so. And yet public sector organisation he works for pays all the disabled related costs.

Overtime his colleagues have found this out, and resentment has built up. These sorts of issues give people a vector to attack welfare.

We have had these for years in Wales.

I see my neighbours, all with expensive cars, houses, yachts etc. taking the bus to town, just because it is free.

I don't know about now, but not so long ago, sixty year old men were using the passes to go to work.

I know some people who use their winter fuel allowance to pay for sailing etc. One bought a surf board!

This lefty nonsense has to come to an end, but as with the liar labelled bedroom tax, the usual hand wringers and sob sisters will be out in force.

this is why the free bus pass should be abolished. If you don't live in London or a big city it is next to useless. It incurs resentment amongst those who have to pay.

I still remember seeing Jon Snow on ch4 news brandishing his freedom pass (or whatever it was called) and saying how great it was to have free travel and it should not be taken away from the over 60s. :o - as if he needs it.

I was not aware that 'disabled' entitled you to a free bus pass - is that not what DLA mobility payment or a mobility car is for.

just to set the record straight I do have a bus pass which I use if the car is in for it's MOT/servicing so I can pick it up, or when I am on holiday in some far-flung corner of England. I cannot use it in the metrop of course (or Wales) - have to pay like everyone under 60 and not disabled..

So far as I know the cost to the council tax/tax[payer of which I am one is only for any journeys taken not the fact of having the card - those that don't need them would not apply for them.(unless they live in London of course. )

just to clarify - my winter fuel allowance (£200 per household) is used to help pay about a sixth of my heating costs! I do not know anyone with yachts, large houses or twice-yearly cruises so obviously move in the wrong circles.

Edited by olliegog

TPTB have to spend all that student loan revenue somewhere.

Won't be long before we'll see free health care limited to 60+ only, tolls on all the roads over 60s don't use and zero rate VAT for cruises.

I see my neighbours, all with expensive cars, houses, yachts etc. taking the bus to town, just because it is free.

My dad doesn't use either of his brand new cars to go in to town, he uses his free pass as parking is too expensive. I s**t you not.

Up in North Scotland where my mum lives, the busses are basically full of pensioners travelling up and down to Inverness for free. That's a 20 quid return journey for you and me. The economic logic is "market segmentation", in general. pensioners simply wouldn't use the service if they had to pay for them, so they may as well let them have it for free, and it shouldn't affect the commercial viability of the business. No losers, unless they do actually hog all the seats.

I was checking out public transport fares in London and happened across the 60+ London Oyster photocard:

In terms of where you can travel the 60+ Oyster photocard is pretty close to being an adult Zone 1-9 travelcard, which would cost somebody under 60 £3,168 per year!

I find it completely amazing that my London landlady who is easily a multimillionaire on paper gets free travel worth £3k per year paid for out of everybody else's taxes.

It's not automatically dished out at 60 any more - eligible age is going up in stages.

They do at least keep quite a number of cars off the roads, esp. those dithery little old men who always wear hats.

Up in North Scotland where my mum lives, the busses are basically full of pensioners travelling up and down to Inverness for free. That's a 20 quid return journey for you and me. The economic logic is "market segmentation", in general. pensioners simply wouldn't use the service if they had to pay for them, so they may as well let them have it for free, and it shouldn't affect the commercial viability of the business. No losers, unless they do actually hog all the seats.

Actually yes, losers. It's £2.40 for a single from where I live to the city centre, a distance of 4 miles. The bus company can afford to shaft fare payers because they can run profitably on the Government bus pass subsidy alone.

Its a bit of a disgrace really because the income profile of the average fare payer is probably well below the national average.

But hey we have a cougar economy whereby wealthy elderly widows are shafting the young in all areas.

Edited by crashmonitor

They are too busy online gaming etc... to be bothered with that :ph34r:

Wry comments aside, one of the main reasons that the younger generation get reamed so badly is the apathy towards politics.

For all the pious tosh that 'big party' politicians spout about the sad state of voter turnout, they love it that way... Less people bothering to show up to vote means that they can rely upon their political party apparatus to get their core vote out and thus there is less need to actually come up with policies acceptable and fair to the community as a whole. Politicians just love power without accountability.

People (of all ages) need to make sure they turn out at the polls, if only to spoil their votes and send a shot across the bows of the political parasite class.

You do realise that the 60+ age group out number the 18-25 age group. Guess who wins.

Its not so much the majority imo. Its who are in far more positions of power to actually implement these things.

Your 55+ are just doing things that will benefit themselves in the near future.

Not exactly a surprise - but a situation that really should not be allowed to exist.

Surely there is a way to stop all the Christmas decisions being made by the turkeys. . .

Really it should be people travelling to work who get free travel. That would make more sense.

But if we encouraged work then the Bank of England might have to follow through and raise interest rates which would be a disaster for the economy. Far better to subsidise idleness and tax work so that capitalism can survive.

It's not automatically dished out at 60 any more - eligible age is going up in stages.

They do at least keep quite a number of cars off the roads, esp. those dithery little old men who always wear hats.

The 60+ London Oyster Photocard appears to be a different freebie from the Freedom Pass. The eligible age for the 60+ London Oyster Photocard is not going up.

Basically, the age you need to be to get free transport is being slowly cranked up outside of London but not in London. So now we have both age and geographical inequality.

Can't remember who or give you a reference, but I recently read that only 27% of tube passengers actually pay for their journey, a situation which allegedly goes a long way to explaining why the fares are so high for those who do. The retired, low/no-income people on benefit-related free travel and fare dodgers account for the rest.

While I suspect that free off-peak travel for the retired probably brings overall net benefits, the current arrangement clearly allows the use of these passes for free commuting by older workers (my father did precisely that with his freedom pass, taking a bus from New Malden to Morden and then the tube into central London to his job between aged 60 and when he retired at 65 last year), and this does seem to me very unfair, especially as these people are no longer paying NI either. If their use was restricted to, say, 1000-1600 and then 2000-last train/bus on weekdays then fine, but I can't see an economic or a social fairness argument for older workers to be allowed to commute for free; especially as London has close to the (if not actually the) highest underground railway fares in the world for everyone else, thereby deterring potential contributors to the economy from living and working there.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

Can't remember who or give you a reference, but I recently read that only 27% of tube passengers actually pay for their journey, a situation which allegedly goes a long way to explaining why the fares are so high for those who do. The retired, low/no-income people on benefit-related free travel and fare dodgers account for the rest.

While I suspect that free off-peak travel for the retired probably brings overall net benefits, the current arrangement clearly allows the use of these passes for free commuting by older workers (my father did precisely that with his freedom pass, taking a bus from New Malden to Morden and then the tube into central London to his job between aged 60 and when he retired at 65 last year), and this does seem to me very unfair, especially as these people are no longer paying NI either. If their use was restricted to, say, 1000-1600 and then 2000-last train/bus on weekdays then fine, but I can't see an economic or a social fairness argument for older workers to be allowed to commute for free; especially as London has close to the (if not actually the) highest underground railway fares in the world for everyone else, thereby deterring potential contributors to the economy from living and working there.

NI is paid till state pension age regardless of free travel entitlement, males under 65yo at the moment have to pay.

Don't paste me for this but isn't giving free travel to the over 60's a bit like saying free travel for the blacks, jews and gays. That's just how it seems to me anyway, perhaps I have zero respect for the older population who have spent years screwing us.