House Price Crash Forum

Young Drivers Are Being Tricked By Fake Car Insurance

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24624720

The UK's only police insurance fraud unit says it is seeing increasing reports of fake car insurance policies being sold to young drivers.

Known as ghost broking, victims are targeted through websites, on social media and on university campuses.

They are offered a policy at a greatly reduced rate, often paying a large sum of money up front.

In most cases the driver doesn't realise they aren't insured until they are in a crash or stopped by police.

They are then liable for six points on their licence and have to pay any damage costs out of their own pocket.

It happened to Pete Townsend when he was 19.

"I went online. I was just having a browse about and a website came up where you fill in a form and they call you back," he said.

"This company called me back with quite a good quote, just short of £1,600, where the others were about £2,000."

No surprise that the insurance industry is attracting fraudsters like this considering the price of premiums, the money makes running scam sites very profitable.

HOLA442

I just dont see how in this day and age, google and the internet to read reviews into such things, anyone with a few brain cells to rub together can fall for this kind of scam.

Its just greed, like those brits in spain who wanted 'compensation' for buying houses without planning permission. Really they know its too good to be true, they just bank on the taxpayer paying out to them.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I just dont see how in this day and age, google and the internet to read reviews into such things, anyone with a few brain cells to rub together can fall for this kind of scam.

I've worked with many 17 year olds, you would be amazed by how naive most of them are.

It's the youth equivalent of the old lady who gets tricked into paying £15k to have the gutters cleaned - their brains are just at an age at which they don't make good decisions.

HOLA445

^^ This

It's a legal requirement to ensure that you're insured to drive the vehicle. Part of this is paying for valid insurance. If you're too stupid to buy a valid policy then quite frankly you deserve what you get....

Why so harsh? It was a 25% discount, not 95%, so fairly plausible IMHO. And until this thread was posted, I'd never heard of scammers selling fake insurance.

HOLA446

Follow the money - £1600 quid - how was it collected?

Credit Card - liable - are they also liable for consequent losses?

If by Direct Debit - is that covered by the guarantee? Is the destination bank liable for allowing a scammer to use it? After all, why the identity checks - if they can't be used?

Surely this is easy to investigate?

Edited by NorthamptonBear

HOLA447
HOLA448

Its just greed, like those brits in spain who wanted 'compensation' for buying houses without planning permission. Really they know its too good to be true, they just bank on the taxpayer paying out to them.

It's greedy not to get ripped off?! WTF?

Naive (as I'm sure you weren't at 19) yes but greedy for having the audacity for not wanting to spend over £2000 a year to insure their 1.0 Corsa?! Feck me.

HOLA449

It's greedy not to get ripped off?! WTF?

Naive (as I'm sure you weren't at 19) yes but greedy for having the audacity for not wanting to spend over £2000 a year to insure their 1.0 Corsa?! Feck me.

Its pretty easy to find out whether a brokerage or insurer is registered with the FSA/FCA, just as it is with a bank or other financial service provider. It takes a few seconds. If you cant even do that before you hand over £1600, £1600 obviously isn't very important to you.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4410

Its pretty easy to find out whether a brokerage or insurer is registered with the FSA/FCA, just as it is with a bank or other financial service provider. It takes a few seconds. If you cant even do that before you hand over £1600, £1600 obviously isn't very important to you.

I've never checked either my insurance or my bank. Are you accusing these people of being stupid or greedy? If they hadn't realised that this was an area where scammers operate, why should they be suspicious? The scammers were clever enough to go for 25% off, rather than anything higher.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

well, with 100% of internet traffic intercepted by NSA and GHQ, if even they are fooled and allow this shite to continue, is it any wonder innocents are caught out...and then theres the banks who continue to honour the accounts...when opening an account in the UK requires ID, passport, blood sample and pledge of your eldest born.

HOLA4414

When I did an insurance price comparison I hadn't heard of any of the companies behind the first 10 or so results.

Yes the person being ripped off was a little naive but it isn't an area of fraud I'd heard of before and I think I could have easily fallen for it at his age.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The state should be providing insurance, if it is a legal requirement.

I don't bother driving because it is prohibitively expensive. To be honest I don't bother doing much anymore because it is prohibitively expensive.

The only things that are financially rational nowadays, are to produce things that are highly taxed to avoid tax (beer, baccy), and to walk instead of use public transport or drive a car.

Insurance really gets me wound up, having had family members killed by drivers, I know all to well that some lives are near worthless, and that insurance is a big con.

If somebody survives an accident, it is the NHS and welfare state that bares the cost. Car insurance is nothing but a license for a select few to tax others.

HOLA4417

I've never checked either my insurance or my bank. Are you accusing these people of being stupid or greedy? If they hadn't realised that this was an area where scammers operate, why should they be suspicious? The scammers were clever enough to go for 25% off, rather than anything higher.

You've never bothered to check whether your bank is FSA/FSCS registered?

HOLA4418

When you were 17 had you ever heard of the FSA/FCA?

HOLA4419