House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Apple Gives Away Mac Software, Unveils Ipad Air

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/10/22/uk-apple-ipad-idUKBRE99L0ZO20131022

Apple Inc on Tuesday took the wraps off a slimmer faster tablet called the iPad Air and said it will give away Macintosh operating and work software free to its users, challenging Microsoft Corp's near-stranglehold on personal computing.

Apple announced the surprise offer, which will be available to all users of Apple MacBooks and Mac computers, at a product event on Tuesday at which it also unveiled a new line of Mac notebooks and computers.

Its Mac OS and iWork software suite, which compete with Microsoft's Excel, Word and other applications, will now be offered free to all users.

"We are turning the industry on its ear, but this is not why we're doing it," Apple CEO Cook told media and technology executives at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Centre.

"We want our customers to have our latest software."

So will you be able to download and run this on virtual box? Anyone think Apple may try and port this to be used on a PC?

Will MS respond to this?

http://uk.reuters.co...E99L0ZO20131022

So will you be able to download and run this on virtual box? Anyone think Apple may try and port this to be used on a PC?

Will MS respond to this?

Given Apple's killing off of XServe, they should look at a version of MacOS that can be used in VDI implementations - all the creative firms that need to protect assets would love it.

http://uk.reuters.co...E99L0ZO20131022

Will MS respond to this?

They can "afford" to give away free software when they charge double and triple for their kit.

They can "afford" to give away free software when they charge double and triple for their kit.

Yes however that premium could easily be recovered from hardware resale values 18month-2years down the line. My old iMac would still command 2/3rds of RRP if I were to sell it today, try doing that with a PC.

Yes however that premium could easily be recovered from hardware resale values 18month-2years down the line. My old iMac would still command 2/3rds of RRP if I were to sell it today, try doing that with a PC.

Aaaaand we're off!! :D

Apple have basically been charging their fanboys sorry, customers, for what are effectively the equivalent of point releases.

Good to see that the gobs of money that they make from charging astronomical prices have enabled them to stop this particular gouging.

Aaaaand we're off!! :D

Don't tar me with the Apple fan boy brush :D

I moved from an iphone 4s to a Galaxy S3 in August and have an S4 on order (briefly dropped this one in the pond on Monday and it's been playing up ever since).

I had too many battery issues with the iPhone and got fed up of having to trek into town. Why they don't make the battery compartment user accessible baffles me (ok obsolescence).

I was simply stating a fact in the first reply, completely unjustifiable IMO but there you go.