House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Third Of Tenants Evicted Or Threatened With Eviction For Complaining

Its those highly professional 'pillars of the local community' at it again.

http://pelican.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/index.php/ttv-news/a-third-of-tenants-have-been-evicted-or-threatened-with-eviction-after-complaining-to-their-landlords/

This means that a growing number of tenants are falling victim to a practice called ‘Retaliatory Evictions’, where landlords employ their power to evict a tenant after their statutory minimum tenancy period (under section 21 of the Housing Act), rather than undertake repairs requested by them, often in the hope that a new tenant won't complain.

It may exist, but I'm of the opinion that a renters web site 'trip advisor' style, where properties and landlords were rated by tenants, and where rents were discussed along with problems with propertie etc.,, would help somewhat.

Just re-read it and it seems a huge plug for ARLA who err perhaps won't do anything, given they are the landlords agent. Which begs the question whether we should change model. Have a tenants agency with a pool of qualified tenants, which landlords come to.

Edited by aSecureTenant

It may exist, but I'm of the opinion that a renters web site 'trip advisor' style, where properties and landlords were rated by tenants, and where rents were discussed along with problems with propertie etc.,, would help somewhat.

http://comparethelandlord.co.uk/landlord-reviews/546-2/?city=newport

Rj & Am Preseton

Review #68

6 Bowdens Mead Close, PO305GZ

I rented this property from the Prestons from November 2010 until February 2012. I needed the temporary rental as I was in the throes of relocating having changed my job. Relations with the landlords were fine right up until the moment I told them that I had changed jobs and would be moving. From this point I was subject to drunken abuse from Mrs Preston at all hours of the day and night and bombarded with racially offensive emails. They refused to accept my notice (so that I could move out in December 2011) and used some very small print within the lease to ensure that I kept the tenancy (and paid the full rental) on an empty house until the end of February 2012. As I moved out I paid for a professional cleaner to deep clean the (already immaculate) property and engaged a professional decorator to repair and restore all wall coverings where I had hung pictures etc. The Prestons now realised that I had done absolutely everything correctly and there was no possibility of them not returning my deposit ( 2012-05-16

And such like reviews.

This is a major problem in renting - making legitimate requests about repairs gets, in my experience, either delays, refusals, rent increases (evictions by any other name). Of course, I'm bloody minded enough to get the repairs done and then move somewhere else if they play silly buggers, but most people are not.

The way to cure it is longer tenancy agreements by right, limitations on rent increases, and a forum for rent reductions if repairs are not done in a certain amount of time.

We were threatened with two months' notice because we wouldn't put up with an endless stream of work, intended to last all winter including roof, central heating system replacement, two bathrooms being done up and some painting and decorating, only (we found out from her exasperated handyman) for the property to be put on the market for sale come the spring. :angry:

All with no rent reduction for intrusion,lack of privacy, dust etc (in fact she screwed up our vacuum cleaner cleaning up after some plaster work).

What the grasping bi*ch didn't reckon on was that we had gone periodic so we waited till December (when NOBODY is looking to move) and gave her one month's notice. We then moved in in early January to another house in the road 2 doors up that we knew was coming up for rent - cheapest move ever (we did it all ourselves over a weekend). New LL (a decent bloke, renting himself in Scotland afer a job change) was so delighted to have no void he dropped the rent too.

So she had to have the work done with no rent coming in .... took about 3-4 months as tradespeople messed her around (as they do), she then moved in herself and took 9 months to sell, dropping £100k in asking price as the months progressed (joy to watch that was) - over the whole of 2009.

She wouldn't make eye contact with us as we drove past (well, in her eyes by messing up the timing etc we'd cost her £100,000 at least :rolleyes: ) ... though interestingly the new owners spent a good six months getting roof work done as it was obviously a bodge job first time round.

Edited by montesquieu

This is a major problem in renting - making legitimate requests about repairs gets, in my experience, either delays, refusals, rent increases (evictions by any other name). Of course, I'm bloody minded enough to get the repairs done and then move somewhere else if they play silly buggers, but most people are not.

The way to cure it is longer tenancy agreements by right, limitations on rent increases, and a forum for rent reductions if repairs are not done in a certain amount of time.

Not just a problem in the UK. We have been without hot water now for two months and the cold water that comes from a well is intermittent because the well pump is faulty. Sometimes we go for several hours with no cold water which can be quite inconvenient.

It's not just a case of packing up and moving on as we have cats, chickens and a giant tortoise to take care of.

Not just a problem in the UK. We have been without hot water now for two months and the cold water that comes from a well is intermittent because the well pump is faulty. Sometimes we go for several hours with no cold water which can be quite inconvenient.

It's not just a case of packing up and moving on as we have cats, chickens and a giant tortoise to take care of.

Euthanise. They taste yummy apparently....

I can't quite work out if your serious... giant tortoise?????

I though St Pat drove them all out?

I was worried whether the shed might not be be enough to hibernate in! :blink:

Serious, I have a Sulcata similar to this one:

6169602-giant-sulcata-tortoise-walking-on-green-grass.jpg

Anyway, strangely enough we saw the elusive plumber tonight who fixed the pressure switch on the well and promised to install a new immersion heater tomorrow. Fingers crossed. B)

Anyway, strangely enough we saw the elusive plumber tonight who fixed the pressure switch on the well and promised to install a new immersion heater tomorrow. Fingers crossed. B)

Ireland ideal for him/her.

The shell shape indicates evolving on a wet island and didn't need to reach up for vegetation as a dry island one would need to.

Ireland ideal for him/her.

The shell shape indicates evolving on a wet island and didn't need to reach up for vegetation as a dry island one would need to.

Nicely observed, Sherlock. Normally I have to go to the XKCD science forums for this kind of stuff. Is this your area of expertise or just a hobby?

It's not fully functioning yet but this is the site that was mentioned in the Guardian as a tenant "trip advisor" http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/

It's not fully functioning yet but this is the site that was mentioned in the Guardian as a tenant "trip advisor" http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/

That and the This Site that Gone to Ireland mentioned

I would have thought that sites like that could be a very powerful force and regulator of rents - bad landlords would struggle to get tenants for starters

Ha those things spend their lives trying to escape and usually succeeding! Put Steve McQueen to shame would a tortoise. :lol:

Nicely observed, Sherlock. Normally I have to go to the XKCD science forums for this kind of stuff. Is this your area of expertise or just a hobby?

David Attenborough a few minutes before....

When Darwin arrived at the Galapagos, the British Resident remarked that he could tell what kind of island the tortoise came from.....

Did the British Resident kick start the thinking about evolution?

Probably not because I think earlier Darwins had considered it (Erasmus?).

Well, I guessed it and Wikipedia agrees...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Darwin

I'll take that as a win and up my smug level.

David Attenborough a few minutes before....

When Darwin arrived at the Galapagos, the British Resident remarked that he could tell what kind of island the tortoise came from.....

For a fictional account of the voyage, I can highly recommend "This Thing of Darkness" by Harry Thompson. It covers events before, during and after the voyage, and, apart from anything else, it does a wonderful job of rehabilitating Captain Robert Fitzroy, whom history has largely consigned, very unfairly, to the roll of reactionary dunderhead...

Bit OT here... err, wonder what houses cost in the Galapagos?

For a fictional account of the voyage, I can highly recommend "This Thing of Darkness" by Harry Thompson. It covers events before, during and after the voyage, and, apart from anything else, it does a wonderful job of rehabilitating Captain Robert Fitzroy, whom history has largely consigned, very unfairly, to the roll of reactionary dunderhead...

Bit OT here... err, wonder what houses cost in the Galapagos?

The housing part is on topic 'cos George is wearing his.

(All tortoises are called George, even if girls).