House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

Story Of Jesus Christ Was 'fabricated To Pacify The Poor',

Story of Jesus Christ was 'fabricated to pacify the poor', claims controversial Biblical scholar

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/story-of-jesus-christ-was-fabricated-to-pacify-the-poor-claims-controversial-biblical-scholar-8870879.html

Joseph Atwill, who is the author of a book entitled 'Caesar's Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus', asserts that Christianity did not begin as a religion, but was actually a sophisticated government propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.

At the 'Covert Messiah' conference, to be held at the Conway Hall in Holborn a week on Saturday, Mr Atwill will present his theory that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they entirely fabricated the story of Jesus Christ.

Outlining his ideas in a blog posting on his website Mr Atwill writes: "Christianity may be considered a religion, but it was actually developed and used as a system of mind control to produce slaves that believed God decreed their slavery."

Mr Atwill says that acts of insurrection by Jewish sects, who were awaiting the arrival of a so-called 'warrior Messiah' in Palestine, were a perpetual problem for the Roman Empire and that after the Empire had exhausted all traditional means of dealing with the problem they resorted to psychological warfare.

"They surmised that the way to stop the spread of zealous Jewish missionary activity was to create a competing belief system,"

I think the ever popular 'technology will save us' meme could have a similar source. I have been told by a veteran technology teacher, that the history of technology & it's ultimately unpredictable hidden consequences mean that technology will not 'save us'.

Technologys' increasing use of finite energy & resources will lead to a crunch & collapse

EDIT: (forgot to add this point)

To me, it appears that technology has now been used to 'pacify the poor'.

Story of Jesus Christ was 'fabricated to pacify the poor', claims controversial Biblical scholar

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/story-of-jesus-christ-was-fabricated-to-pacify-the-poor-claims-controversial-biblical-scholar-8870879.html

I think the ever popular 'technology will save us' meme could have a similar source. I have been told by a veteran technology teacher, that the history of technology & it's ultimately unpredictable hidden consequences mean that technology will not 'save us'.

Technologys' increasing use of finite energy & resources will lead to a crunch & collapse

depends what you mean by save, modern antiobiotics cost nothing to produce and have added 10-20 years to everyones life expectancy,

depends what you mean by save, modern antiobiotics cost nothing to produce and have added 10-20 years to everyones life expectancy,

I assume the meme means 'save us from extinction / or socities collapse', via the usual suspects of war/ famine / resources running out / overpopulation.

Although comparatively few resources may be used in antibiotic production, I would argue that nothing costs nothing to produce.

Theories of life extension technology creating overpopulation & using up finite resources more quickly , so hastening extinction are probably a thread on their own.

Christians should burn down the venue with the Heretics inside.

Its only fair...if Muslims can be insulted, so can Christians.

The "big discovery" is that there is nothing new under the Sun.

everyones life will have parallels with others, indeed, there are only 7 original stories that make up all films and books today.

Controversy to sell a book? Quite possibly.

But there is a good body of work that critically examines the rise of the Abrahamic monotheistic religions over an older shamanic or gnostic tradition that taught against these rising theosophies but was ultimately suppressed/extinguished (see nag hammadi codices etc). The world would be a much better place had the Gnostic spiritual worldview not been suppressed by these paternalistic monotheistic repressive ideologies, imo (see current clusterfu*k in the ME).

My favourite passage is from Exodus 22:25:

"...and Jesus did go forth to the money lenders and procure a self-cert 95% mortgage, for he was a hard working man, from a hard working family, and deserved shelter of his own, lest face the embarrasment of being an eternal renter"

This 'story' was discussed on OT a couple of weeks ago

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=193858&st=0&p=909407806&hl

The book in question is seven or eight years old, and the film of the book a year or so old. The claim is being picked up in the corporate press right now because Richard Dawkins posted a tweet that the claim might be worth looking into a few weeks ago .

The claim doesn't even pass a rudimentary sniff test. Christians, for example, are on record being persecuted by Nero years before their religion was allegedly invented. The claim is worth looking into in the same way that the possibility that angels exist is worth looking into. Though I doubt Dickie will be tweeting in support of that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnV0cJgTRiM

Theories of life extension technology creating overpopulation & using up finite resources more quickly , so hastening extinction are probably a thread on their own.

Anything claiming extinction due to that isn't to be taken seriously so doesn't deserve its own thread. Massive, unpleasant losses possibly but not every single person on Earth dead.

But there is a good body of work that critically examines the rise of the Abrahamic monotheistic religions over an older shamanic or gnostic tradition that taught against these rising theosophies but was ultimately suppressed/extinguished (see nag hammadi codices etc). The world would be a much better place had the Gnostic spiritual worldview not been suppressed by these paternalistic monotheistic repressive ideologies, imo (see current clusterfu*k in the ME).

The same guy who produced the debunking video I posted above has also gone to town on some of the ropey 'scholarship' that characters like Acharya S. and the Zeitgeist movement have been putting out in recent years.

There's a good dollop of truth to what you're saying impo. However, there's also a fair bit of embracing of misleading narratives about the origins and true nature of Christianity as it exists today. Personally, I've got no problem with putting the boot into contemporary Christianity. I do have issues with 'noble' lies.

I suspect many faiths have been used as a convenient propaganda tool by the powers that be for centuries. Even as an atheist, I'd be doubtful they were invented for that purpose. Some read more like informal guides to living which gradually become codified into formal belief systems.

Technology both causes problems as well as solving them - and like capitalism has proved a surprisingly robust and popular way to do so despite some major missteps along the way. China's a very good example; massive environmental problems due to industrialisation and poor controls - yet also one of the world leaders in green tech.

I suspect many faiths have been used as a convenient propaganda tool by the powers that be for centuries. Even as an atheist, I'd be doubtful they were invented for that purpose. Some read more like informal guides to living which gradually become codified into formal belief systems.

In the case of Christianity, that charge has been laid at the feet of Constantine...

wiki: Constantinian shift/ Constantine the Great and Christianity

But, as you say, he didn't invent it he co-opted it.

Personally, I'd cast my net wider than religious faith systems and include other causes as being a tempting target for co-option and corruption; political ideologies, environmentalism, all sorts. They rarely work out so well in practice as they do in theory.

Interesting that you make the connection with technology. Earlier on, I referred to the Zeigeist movies which were heavily plugged in certain corners of the Internet.

The gist of Zeitgeist was that Christianity is a fraud, the money system is a fraud, everything's going to hell, the world is ****ed...

setting the stage for Zeitgeist's proposed solution of a scientifically managed, computer driven, resource-based system of global government. Mention is made of the Dan Dare-esque Venus Project

oian48.jpg

This stuff goes back a long way; the technocratic movement of the early 20th century, communist utopias, eugenics, all sorts.

The moral of the tale being people who are trying to put the boot into one religion are sometimes merely trying to clear the way for a new, equally potty, one of their own.

Personally, I've got no problem with putting the boot into contemporary Christianity. I do have issues with 'noble' lies.

Fair point, and thanks for the links.

My own view, just as a thought experiment and without getting overly philosophical, is that either one is a die-hard agnostic of the Dawkins variety, or one reserves space in one's worldview for some element of divinity, or spirituality (although I dislike that word somewhat). If the latter, then does one ascribe to the belief that one of the major world religions is the 'truth', or is it possible that one can have a more direct and unmediated (hence more 'true') interface with the divine? If the latter, what motivations might there be for the pre-packaged proscriptive religions to oppress such independent practices and mindsets by pushing their particular brand of immutable truths about the world and associated reaffirming rituals down people's throats? Mind control of servile populations in support of established social hierarchies would be quite high up the list I would imagine...

Fair point, and thanks for the links.

My own view, just as a thought experiment and without getting overly philosophical, is that either one is a die-hard agnostic of the Dawkins variety, or one reserves space in one's worldview for some element of divinity, or spirituality (although I dislike that word somewhat). If the latter, then does one ascribe to the belief that one of the major world religions is the 'truth', or is it possible that one can have a more direct and unmediated (hence more 'true') interface with the divine? If the latter, what motivations might there be for the pre-packaged proscriptive religions to oppress such independent practices and mindsets by pushing their particular brand of immutable truths about the world and associated reaffirming rituals down people's throats? Mind control of servile populations in support of established social hierarchies would be quite high up the list I would imagine...

I quite enjoy the idea that Judaism/ Christianity started off as a mushroom cult. Burning bushes... that talk. Sounds pretty trippy to me and not something you'd make up out of the blue. St Paul ... dramatic conversion as the result of a vision. Constantine ... claimed a dramatic visionary conversion experience also.

A shroomy genesis wouldn't necessarily invalidate Christianity. It's possible that hallucinogens help tap directly into a genuine spiritual realm, free of that mediation you refer to. There are a couple of nominally Christian churches which happily fuse Jesus, shamanism and trippiness e.g. Santo Daime

I agree that pre-scriptive religion can be a handy tool for mass control. The reason why I'm a little contrary is that I suspect that the underlying psychology is not unique to Christianity, or theism, as some seem to think. You could endure equally sh1tty, brain-washed outcomes under nominally secular humanist systems.

I think that is the first time I have ever seen an OP immediately take his own thread off-topic.

Guest eight

You could endure equally sh1tty, brain-washed outcomes under nominally secular humanist systems.

I just got back from a humanist funeral. The "preacher" seemed to have much more conviction about what he was saying than any CofE vicar that I've encountered.

I just got back from a humanist funeral. The "preacher" seemed to have much more conviction about what he was saying than any CofE vicar that I've encountered.

My grandfather had a humanist funeral recently. I felt much better after the ceremony and found it much more fitting to him as a person than the standard Christian service.

My grandfather had a humanist funeral recently. I felt much better after the ceremony and found it much more fitting to him as a person than the standard Christian service.

More people should do that!

Guest eight

I felt like much less of a hypocrite, not having to go through the motions.

Just recently I was at my daughter's harvest festival. The vicar told the story of Boaz, or something. I was suddenly overcome with a strong desire to stand up and shout "Does anybody - including YOU (points at vicar) believe a single word of this palpable horseshit?" Fortunately I managed to restrain myself, which is a pity as I suspect I would have become an instant legend in all the kid's eyes.

I couldn't work out how to put it but it's exactly that. No ******** or religious nonsense just the recognition of a life lived and the person who has now passed on.

Just recently I was at my daughter's harvest festival. The vicar told the story of Boaz, or something. I was suddenly overcome with a strong desire to stand up and shout "Does anybody - including YOU (points at vicar) believe a single word of this palpable horseshit?" Fortunately I managed to restrain myself, which is a pity as I suspect I would have become an instant legend in all the kid's eyes.

I've seen some priests who have had the sense to realise that not everyone in the room is entirely on board with the Jehovah thing and not lay it on too thick, aside from the scripted bits.

I've also seen some d1ck-heads lay it on with a trowel.

Boaz? Isn't that the story of Ruth, a non-Jew, standing by her mother in law, when they were both widowed? There's no mention of God, so what upset you, the compassion or the re-marriage?