House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

15 minutes ago, petetong said:

Any recommendations on a secure (as can be) crypto currency exchange or point in the direction of such info ? A lot of trust pilot reviews for them are full of people complaining they've been ripped off which doesn't engender confidence.

I only use Kraken and have used them for years. Never had any issues. 

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markyh

• MonsieurCopperCrutch

• goldbug9999

• jiltedjen

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot me down, but a few members seems a bit obsessed with this thread.  There are a lot of threads on HOUSEpricecrash and other things to do in general than aggressively defend Bitcoin (e.g. see fami

They could certainly put various things in place to try and stop but I just don't seem them doing it. Obviously they could make dealing, trading, holding or using bitcoin punishable with 10 years

Bitcoin Cash can and will scale on chain. The technology advance within the next decade will allow it to happen with ease and always remain ahead of demand. What Core have done to Bitcoin is criminal

Posted Images

3 hours ago, petetong said:

Any recommendations on a secure (as can be) crypto currency exchange or point in the direction of such info ? A lot of trust pilot reviews for them are full of people complaining they've been ripped off which doesn't engender confidence.

I've used both Coinbase and Blockchain and both are really good. In fact I cashed out 10% in the last couple of days for a house deposit and it was all very easy and straightforward. 

There's a lot of money for the exchanges in fees so I don't think all the reviews are legit. Probably paid for negatives reviews that you can buy from a site. Then there's the users who have been ripped of thinking they're dealing with legit companies when really it's a scammer. 

3 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

@petetongMe too based on positive feedback on here having considered e-toro and Coinbase along with others.  I find Kraken easy enough to use and its resources were useful when starting out.  

Tip:  when transferring money within 72 hours, make sure it's a different figure or it will be put on 'hold' e.g. If you transfer £2,000 make the next one £2001.  I've been caught out a couple of times with this especially when I've been in a rush to catch a dip.  I now hold a bit on the exchange when I can but for some reason, it doesn't stay there for long!

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/what-happens-when-walmart-buys-1-billion-of-bitcoin

Let me make this clear: Walmart has not announced a purchase of $1 billion worth of bitcoin. But it will and let me tell you what's going to happen when it does.

Speculation or is there more to it? Hmm...

😂🤣

Edited by Buffer Bear
35 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/business/what-happens-when-walmart-buys-1-billion-of-bitcoin

Let me make this clear: Walmart has not announced a purchase of $1 billion worth of bitcoin. But it will and let me tell you what's going to happen when it does.

Speculation or is there more to it? Hmm...

😂🤣

Massive news if true BB. We’ll find out in May. 

12 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Kraken was a right pain to sign up. Wanted selfies for verification but kept rejecting them. 

Binance was far easier.

Depends how much you are putting in, maybe be worth spreading the deposits for security.

2 minutes ago, wighty said:

Kraken was a right pain to sign up. Wanted selfies for verification but kept rejecting them. 

Binance was far easier.

Depends how much you are putting in, maybe be worth spreading the deposits for security.

Binance have a fairly dodgy history in China back in bitcoin history days.

13 minutes ago, yelims said:

Ok, hopefully they have improved things.

I also use coinfloor to monthly buy. Easy to set up.

Anything on coinfloor I need to be aware of?.

I'm totally new to crypto and don't have enough spare hours to read 850+ pages.

I'm interested in solo mining using my desktop games PC.

Bitcoin seems saturated now (or nearly fully extracted).

Any tips on what coins to look at mining? I think I saw one called Grid that was newish, could have been Grin not sure.

2 hours ago, wighty said:

Binance was far easier.

Strange. What level of verification? Just 2 weeks ago I walked through someone signing up on Kraken and no selfies were asked for. Just a copy of their drivers license. 

2 hours ago, Tin Foil Hat said:

I'm totally new to crypto and don't have enough spare hours to read 850+ pages.

I'm interested in solo mining using my desktop games PC.

Bitcoin seems saturated now (or nearly fully extracted).

Any tips on what coins to look at mining? I think I saw one called Grid that was newish, could have been Grin not sure.

Just download nicehash, as you can’t really mine bitcoin directly but you can mine shitty alts via nicehash and get paid in bitcoin 

17 hours ago, fatspanner said:

I've used both Coinbase and Blockchain and both are really good. In fact I cashed out 10% in the last couple of days for a house deposit and it was all very easy and straightforward. 

There's a lot of money for the exchanges in fees so I don't think all the reviews are legit. Probably paid for negatives reviews that you can buy from a site. Then there's the users who have been ripped of thinking they're dealing with legit companies when really it's a scammer. 

Thanks, I did wonder about some of the reviews as language used etc was erm suspect.  

7 hours ago, yelims said:

Yeah I've been doing some background reading and Binance seem to have a bit of chequered history which put me off them. Anyone used bitpanda ? Based in the the Austria/EU, seems to have very good reviews on trustpilot, for what that's worth.

16 hours ago, Buffer Bear said:

@petetongMe too based on positive feedback on here having considered e-toro and Coinbase along with others.  I find Kraken easy enough to use and its resources were useful when starting out.  

Tip:  when transferring money within 72 hours, make sure it's a different figure or it will be put on 'hold' e.g. If you transfer £2,000 make the next one £2001.  I've been caught out a couple of times with this especially when I've been in a rush to catch a dip.  I now hold a bit on the exchange when I can but for some reason, it doesn't stay there for long!

Thanks for the tip, do you know why it is put on hold if it is the same deposit amount ? 

Anyone have views on algorand, seems to be the next hot crypto and at current price it seems worth a punt.

Edited by petetong
31 minutes ago, petetong said:

Thanks for the tip, do you know why it is put on hold if it is the same deposit amount ? 

Anyone have views on algorand, seems to be the next hot crypto and at current price it seems worth a punt.

To avoid duplicate payments.  When I made this mistake, I simply emailed Kraken and they process the deposit as requested but you could lose 24-48 hours - in December the issue was sorted in hours. If put on 'hold' it is for 72 hours.  

Re: Algorand, there's no better established asset with plenty of upside still available than Bitcoin. See the most recent Saylor performance, above! :)

Edited by Buffer Bear
41 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

I love when Saylor uses the fulcrum analogy.  End point. You can literally move the world.

"Can you borrow a billion dollars of leverage and buy Bitcion?  Yah!  I did that.  You can do that..." 

18 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

To avoid duplicate payments.  When I made this mistake, I simply emailed Kraken and they process the deposit as requested but you could lose 24-48 hours - in December the issue was sorted in hours. If put on 'hold' it is for 72 hours.  

Re: Algorand, there's no better established asset with plenty of upside still available than Bitcoin. See the most recent Saylor performance, above! :)

Thanks 🙂

4 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Just download nicehash, as you can’t really mine bitcoin directly but you can mine shitty alts via nicehash and get paid in bitcoin 

Thanks that's what I'm doing, it seems to vary as to my efficiency and looks like I'll generate about 50 quid a month, which I hope is more than the leccy required to keep the PC running!

36 minutes ago, Tin Foil Hat said:

Thanks that's what I'm doing, it seems to vary as to my efficiency and looks like I'll generate about 50 quid a month, which I hope is more than the leccy required to keep the PC running!

An alternative is to just set up automatic monthly buys with less wear and tear on your computer.