House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
54 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

I'm guessing that the data is stored in an encrypted state and decrypted in the fly while reading it using the password in which case its unlikely the password can be bypassed unless it was coded completely incompetently . However they might conceivable be able to reset the attempt counter, or at least make copies of it so that each copy can be tried separately.

All IronKey devices (S100, S200, D200, S250, D250, S1000, H300, and H350) permanently self-destruct after 10 consecutive incorrect password attempts. The Enterprise versions have the option to have a different count set by your IronKey System Administrator. The Basic versions have the option to be configured to perform a reset rather than self-destruct. The Personal versions have no options. 

Self-destruct means the flash memory is erased, the AES encryption keys are erased, and the IronKey is permanently unusable; there is no way to reset the device or use it again once the self-destruct has been performed. 

Displayed are ample warnings about incorrect passwords and device self-destruction. Each incorrect password attempt will display a warning indicating the remaining number of password attempts. Additionally, after every 3 consecutive bad password attempts you must remove the device and re-insert it. 

The last password attempt displays at least 2 very distinct warning messages stating this self-destruction is permanent and there is no way to recover an IronKey once it has self-destructed, and the action will void the hardware warranty.  The IronKey limited hardware warranty covers hardware manufacturing defects only.  Devices that have self-destructed are not eligible for replacement. 

If you have no means to recover the lost password there are only two recommendations:

1. Hold onto the IronKey in the hopes the password will be remembered.
  2. Let the self-destruct run and dispose of the IronKey.

If you've used the Secure Backup utility included with every S100, S200, D200, S250, D250 IronKey device, then you can restore your backup to a new IronKey of any of these models. Please review this procedure in the appropriate User Guide for your specific IronKey model and version.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
13 minutes ago, Money Frugality said:

Nice looking head and shoulders forming..

Saw that as well. I reckon slightly more towards Pantene Pro V, but certainly the right area.

Chart2.jpg

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

I'm guessing that the data is stored in an encrypted state and decrypted in the fly while reading it using the password in which case its unlikely the password can be bypassed unless it was coded completely incompetently . However they might conceivable be able to reset the attempt counter, or at least make copies of it so that each copy can be tried separately.

It all sounds pretty improbable. 

If true he would have paid an expert company to produce a bit level clone of the drive. Once this is done the password routines can be isolated and unlimited attempts made. If he then still could not remember the exact password a brute force attack guided by what he can remember should be possible. 

Even if it was a modern flash drive, if you have physical possession of the device and enough money nothing is secure 50% of $220m would be more than enough to get the job done.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
8 hours ago, dugsbody said:

If you could read plain English I'd have more hope for you but clearly you're just a loud mouthed post-hoc braggart.

Another one i initially missed or forgot about.  British Investment firm Ruffers Investment change 2.5% of their gold reserves in Bitcoin in November, about £550m / $745m. 

Bitcoin is an emerging store of value, challenger to gold: Ruffer Investment’s Chairman - AMBCrypto

Wow, another smart move. Bitcoin was $13k to $19k in November. 

But, apparently,  "The institutions" are not buying Bitcoin.  Strange because all the news i read, says they are? 

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Buffer Bear said:

For the salty no-coiners including @Peter Hun @longgone, do have a listen at least from 1:09 - 1:12.  Michael Saylor - MicroStrategy.  As you will know, he has lots of skin in the game. 

This is a great stream. Hearing Michael here he encapsulates everything that I first discovered reading the bitcoin whitepaper. With all the resources to learn these days it's sad that some on here still dismiss their route to financial freedom. I'm reminded that you can take the horse to water but cannot make it drink. Let's revisit this thread in 5 years. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Buffer Bear said:

Not heard this before but that is actually pretty significant. He'll be sharing his Bitcoin playbook with all attendees. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
8 hours ago, Warlord said:

As long as people don't realize or don't care that Gold has little actual value (as a % of its spot price), and continue to buy it anyway, its price can continue to rise.

Schiffs ability to double think is hilarious.

I mean, if we believe the Schiff Fallacy (that golds spot price is somehow dependent on its utility value) then what happens if someone finds a better alternative for the industrial use ? - does gold suddenly go to zero ?? totally absurd concept. 

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

As long as people don't realize or don't care that Gold has little actual value (as a % of its spot price), and continue to buy it anyway, its price can continue to rise.

Schiffs ability to double think is hilarious.

I mean, if we believe the Schiff Fallacy (that golds spot price is somehow dependent on its utility value) then what happens if someone finds a better alternative for the industrial use ? - does gold suddenly go to zero ?? totally absurd concept. 

Gold had value before industrial use and will continue to have it without it. The reason is simple. Its shiny and people are like magpies. Same goes for diamonds.

Is that future potential value lower? Almost certainly.

Is it zero? Nope.

Gold has been the go to shiny for thousands of years and will remain so for thousands more.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Diversity is the key. I bought into gold last week even though BTC was on a strong upward trajectory. Just needed to rebalance a bit.

Schiff has been spectacularly wrong about BTC for as long as I can remember though. At £1m per coin, he'll be screaming and shaking his fist as they forcibly take him for treatment around the same time as I take delivery of my first supercar.

HOLA4421
45 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Gold had value before industrial use and will continue to have it without it. The reason is simple. Its shiny and people are like magpies. Same goes for diamonds.

Is that future potential value lower? Almost certainly.

Is it zero? Nope.

Gold has been the go to shiny for thousands of years and will remain so for thousands more.

If gold crashed to 10% of its value i.e. lost all speculative premium, I dont think it would be much consolation to people using gold to preserve wealth (which includes me BTW) that it went down "only" 90% vs 100%.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Schiff has been spectacularly wrong about BTC for as long as I can remember though. At £1m per coin, he'll be screaming and shaking his fist as they forcibly take him for treatment around the same time as I take delivery of my first supercar.

He is NOT wrong. You're the one in the wrong. Bitcoin does nothing it is pure speculation and one day you will wake up and see it heavily crashing then the likes of Schiff and me will be right.

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, Warlord said:

He is NOT wrong. You're the one in the wrong. Bitcoin does nothing it is pure speculation and one day you will wake up and see it heavily crashing then the likes of Schiff and me will be right.

I'm only commenting on what has happened in the past. The future is unknown to all and if you and Schiff guess right in the coin toss, you can smile as you sleep knowing you guessed right.

If I guess right, I will smile as I sleep in a massive bed with lots of hot wimmin and a few £500k-£1m cars on my massive driveway going up to my massive house with gold toilets.

I'll put a grand on the result (well, more precisely, I have already put a grand on the result back in 2013) and I'll pick heads. If you and schiff win, the grand gets burned, if I win: Cars, gold toilets, wimmin etc 😊

HOLA4424
12 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

If gold crashed to 10% of its value i.e. lost all speculative premium, I dont think it would be much consolation to people using gold to preserve wealth (which includes me BTW) that it went down "only" 90% vs 100%.

and that wont happen overnight

Do you have any idea how many processes Gold is actually used in!? 

HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, Huggy said:

I'm only commenting on what has happened in the past. The future is unknown to all and if you and Schiff guess right in the coin toss, you can smile as you sleep knowing you guessed right.

If I guess right, I will smile as I sleep in a massive bed with lots of hot wimmin and a few £500k-£1m cars on my massive driveway going up to my massive house with gold toilets.

I'll put a grand on the result (well, more precisely, I have already put a grand on the result back in 2013) and I'll pick heads. If you and schiff win, the grand gets burned, if I win: Cars, gold toilets, wimmin etc 😊

Huggy, wake up please.  You're caught up in this insane mania and bubble

BUY  - HODL and retire. 

Do you know how stupid this sounds and lacks any basic common sense.  Schiff sees it and so do t.  Reminds me of the dot com bubble in 2000.