House Price Crash Forum
NatterJackToad

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

1 hour ago, markyh said:

Only if you bought peak December 2017 and sold December 2018. If not only loses are Paper. Losses are set at the point or purchase and sale. However runaway inflation will destroy your cash savings and value of your wages in the near / midterm. If you bought Bitcoin in 2013-2016 or before you are way way way up vs inflation. 

Paper loses are just that on paper. On paper what was your bitcoin worth in 2017 ??.

On paper how much are they worth now ??.

On paper my saved fiat 200k is still just that its value is derived by what I can swap it for eventually. 

Have you lost 80k or not on paper.??

how much has your fiat purchasing power dropped since 2013 against houses? 

wheras bitcoin has outperformed even central London house prices since 2013.

thats real years of your life lost. 

Money bitcoin gold whatever does not equal years at all. To put a price on life is ridiculous as life can not be priced.however I do understand the annalogy you are risking your years of life hoping bitcoin rises previous highs more than likely to save face. 

We are not at the end regarding house prices so who knows but then I only held fiat so have not lost anything really. 

not selling BTC in 2017 has generated a real paper loss that cannot be disputed.:rolleyes:

BTC has only one variable to value it against and that is fiat whereas houses have many variables.

Well if bitcoin is crap, yet its still costs 4000 per coin, what will it be worth when its no longer garbage and store of value when currency crashes occur? 

Bitcoin is worldwide. Just because the UK values housing and fiat more at the moment doesn't mean Venezuela doesn't. 

The governments won't regulate btc because if they did no coiners would now see it as a regular currency or store of value instead of housing and fiat. 

If houses drop in value the U.K. economy tanks, and sterling would be trashed anyway. 

Saving in sterling is not a great move for a house over a long term. Waiting for a HPC while mainly in sterling in mental. 

better to have a good varied portfolio. 

2 hours ago, longgone said:

Still waiting for the answer  

Paper loss of BTC since 2017 :rolleyes:

When? December 17th peak? Is not valid people so few people chose to sell on the 17th as we only know it’s the peak now, after the fact. But if it makes you happy £77k paper loss. Small potatoes in 2 years time. But I don’t cry over it and am not selling. You have to accept the ups and downs with crypto and until 10 x gains plus more per cycle stops in in no hurry to sell. 

Had you put your £200k cash into a house in December 2008 you could have doubled your money. I put £100k deposit into a house in December 2008 and walked away with  £250k equity in 2016. Timing in any market is everything, but no one can go back in time. 

5 hours ago, markyh said:

When? December 17th peak? Is not valid people so few people chose to sell on the 17th as we only know it’s the peak now, after the fact. But if it makes you happy £77k paper loss. Small potatoes in 2 years time. But I don’t cry over it and am not selling. You have to accept the ups and downs with crypto and until 10 x gains plus more per cycle stops in in no hurry to sell. 

Had you put your £200k cash into a house in December 2008 you could have doubled your money. I put £100k deposit into a house in December 2008 and walked away with  £250k equity in 2016. Timing in any market is everything, but no one can go back in time. 

So you sold your home in 2016 and banked the cash ?? 

Probably very wise that equity will probably take a hair cut had you still had the house. Sadly I only had around 120k in 2008, I had my eye on a detached place needing loads of work for 260k that is worth around 700k now. Indeed timing. If BTC goes to zero at least you won on the house equity.

40 minutes ago, longgone said:

So you sold your home in 2016 and banked the cash ?? 

Probably very wise that equity will probably take a hair cut had you still had the house. Sadly I only had around 120k in 2008, I had my eye on a detached place needing loads of work for 260k that is worth around 700k now. Indeed timing. If BTC goes to zero at least you won on the house equity.

Walked away with £250k, no to much of a risk to leave devaluing fiat out of the Housing market , borrowed even more and bought a bigger house in a nicer area. Last house now so not worried about falls in prices as long as we can pay of the mortgage monthly.  Anything can go to zero, even houses, if the 8-10 year climate change disasters come true that scare the pants off me there will be so many empty houses due to dead and dying population they will be effectively worth zero.

49 minutes ago, markyh said:

Walked away with £250k, no to much of a risk to leave devaluing fiat out of the Housing market , borrowed even more and bought a bigger house in a nicer area. Last house now so not worried about falls in prices as long as we can pay of the mortgage monthly.  Anything can go to zero, even houses, if the 8-10 year climate change disasters come true that scare the pants off me there will be so many empty houses due to dead and dying population they will be effectively worth zero.

There will be more to worry about than money and houses 🤨

i don`t need a big house really it will only be for me, i already live in a big house just not mine 😄

On 29/04/2019 at 07:03, jiltedjen said:

If houses drop in value the U.K. economy tanks, and sterling would be trashed anyway.

Houses dropping when priced in sterling would mean that sterling was getting stronger.

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Houses dropping when priced in sterling would mean that sterling was getting stronger.

Apparently overpriced gold and imaginary wealth in 1111s and 0000s is the only store of wealth here. Yet they only do that to grab more fiat potentially.:lol:

3 hours ago, doomed said:

I'm out for now. This could get messy with the funny business involving Bitfinex and Tether.

Brave call. I’ve been averaging back in from 6k to 3k to where we are now. I’m now almost at exactly the percentage allocation I want to be at (10%) so won’t be adding more (unless it drops) but won’t be selling. Will see how it plays out. Won’t matter long term 

Edited by dannyf

On 30/04/2019 at 20:16, doomed said:

I'm out for now. This could get messy with the funny business involving Bitfinex and Tether.

The market seems to have brushed that off for now, if we push above $5500 in the next few weeks and close above the 50wma then it could get interesting, that would tick several boxes for the start of a new bull run, in 2015 1st attempt at the 50wma failed and led to a retest of the lows, before that bull run really began. 

still over a year away from the halving, i think its going to be pretty level for the next 3 months, slowly building at first into full blown bubble come very late this year 

2 hours ago, markyh said:

The market seems to have brushed that off for now, if we push above $5500 in the next few weeks and close above the 50wma then it could get interesting, that would tick several boxes for the start of a new bull run, in 2015 1st attempt at the 50wma failed and led to a retest of the lows, before that bull run really began. 

I don't believe this is fully played out yet. I will be sitting on my hands for the next 6 weeks unless there is a significant fall to tempt me back in.

6 hours ago, doomed said:

I don't believe this is fully played out yet. I will be sitting on my hands for the next 6 weeks unless there is a significant fall to tempt me back in.

Im not unhappy with my $6k level additional buy in and very happy with my $3.5k level extra buy in after, I have another £1k to add if we have a pull back to the $3k-$4k level again, will watch how it reacts to the 200wma like a hawk. But if I miss that opertunity and it sails up and up from here slowly over 2019 to just below $10k then I wont be upset!

4 hours ago, markyh said:

Im not unhappy with my $6k level additional buy in and very happy with my $3.5k level extra buy in after, I have another £1k to add if we have a pull back to the $3k-$4k level again, will watch how it reacts to the 200wma like a hawk. But if I miss that opertunity and it sails up and up from here slowly over 2019 to just below $10k then I wont be upset!

You've stated on this thread that you believe bitcoin will go to $200k within a few years, and in this post itself that it will go to near double digits in 2019.

Why is your £1k investment contingent on whether the price is $5k or $3k?  Why don't you pile in as much as you can whilst the price is still in single digits, if you genuinely believe it will go to double digits this year and triple digits beyond?

I'm struggling to reconcile your strength of belief in bitcoin with your hesitancy over this additional £1k?

4 hours ago, markyh said:

I try to understand peoples logic but why would you invest 1k in something you have already admitted has dropped 77k on paper and you would not even convert £1 to fiat when it was 20k.  ??  i fail to see the sense in any of this.  fine to have a toe in the water but not cash out Any at 20k or just after it dropped to 17k ??  

so not bothered about a 77k paper loss but happy to stick another 1k in 

Man you guys fret to much about what other people do! As they say, only invest what you are willing to lose. 

If it was suggested in December that bitcoin would double in price by early May you would have bleated the its going to zero mantra. I said up, you said down.