House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

3 minutes ago, markyh said:

Well a good 24hrs, we broke $12000 and well off towards S13000 already, And my lastminute.com trade of LTC into IOTO @ 8.14pm paid off massively. Dare even I mention the "bubble" word attached to IOTA.  Na...........

An overnight rise of my Digital assets of £3100 to £65300, of that £650 alone of the rise was from my LTC/IOTA trade.  Traded LTC for IOTA (via BTC) for $3.60 each, (x468.3) , woke up to $5.54, almost a $2 per coin rise overnight as the Asians pilled in, which is what I predicted would happen.

This is crazy stuff. Cant wait for Xmas drinks invites this year form social circles, just to see who mentions Bitcoin first!

First rule of club Bitcoin... don't tell anyone you have Bitcoin...

Second rule of club Bitcoin... don't talk about Bitcoin

Third rule of club Bitcoin... don't sell Bitcoin

Rearrange into preferred order.

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markyh

• MonsieurCopperCrutch

• goldbug9999

• jiltedjen

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot me down, but a few members seems a bit obsessed with this thread.  There are a lot of threads on HOUSEpricecrash and other things to do in general than aggressively defend Bitcoin (e.g. see fami

They could certainly put various things in place to try and stop but I just don't seem them doing it. Obviously they could make dealing, trading, holding or using bitcoin punishable with 10 years

Bitcoin Cash can and will scale on chain. The technology advance within the next decade will allow it to happen with ease and always remain ahead of demand. What Core have done to Bitcoin is criminal

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, adamLancs said:

First rule of club Bitcoin... don't tell anyone you have Bitcoin...

Second rule of club Bitcoin... don't talk about Bitcoin

Third rule of club Bitcoin... don't sell Bitcoin

Rearrange into preferred order.

lol.

Incidentally, it was lurking on this guy's supporters forum that introduced me to Bitcoin in the first place.

I remember his mantra "The market will find a way"

Very smart guy imo. Very smart. although most considered him a kook. A lot of his supporters are much richer now. Not because he told them to buy... but because he told them about sound money...

I owe him several thousand beers.

Edited by adamLancs
5 minutes ago, adamLancs said:

Incidentally, it was lurking on this guy's supporters forum that introduced me to Bitcoin in the first place.

I remember his mantra "The market will find a way"

Very smart guy imo. Very smart. although most considered him a kook. A lot of his supporters are much richer now. Not because he told them to buy... but because he told them about sound money...

I owe him several thousand beers.

Probably the only politician I would actually like to have beer with !! the media does its best to make him look like kook. 

6 minutes ago, kudukid said:

Has anybody cashed out their bitcoin yet?

Who will pay out hundreds of thousands in fiat?

Well, Litecoin does everything Bitcoin does and is $100.

It' s up 30x this year but it doesn't have the name Bitcoin so it's not up 80x.

Why pay $1000 for a phone because it's got "i" before it? This one always dazed me.

That's just life. Markets.

Crypto invites people to participate and rewards those that do. Pick your poison, they're all going up vs $$$

9 minutes ago, kudukid said:

Has anybody cashed out their bitcoin yet?

Who will pay out hundreds of thousands in fiat?

Cashed out 10%, at ~£8500, to sovereigns via BitGild. Initial investment covered several times over by that.

You know, just in case its a bubble and not adoption curve.

Just now, GreenDevil said:

http://cfe.cboe.com/cfe-products/xbt-cboe-bitcoin-futures?utm_campaign=bitcoin-futures&utm_medium=vanity-url&utm_source=na

go live 10 Dec, with no transaction fees for first month. 

i expect we will see a lot of short sellers hedging their current bitcoin portfolio.

time to move to litecoin and ethereum.

Interesting, can you expand on how you think the futures market will impact bitcoin and the wider ecosystem?

5 minutes ago, curious1 said:

Interesting, can you expand on how you think the futures market will impact bitcoin and the wider ecosystem?

If institutions have been driving the recent push in bitcoin, from monday, they will be able to sell short futures on the bitcoin coin price ie 12500, then sell their bitcoin, whilst locking in the price of 12500 or whatever. I expect the zero fees is to encourage participation and get liquidity. I cant see the liquidity being very high. I may be able monitor it on interactive brokers (though i wont be participating) not sure if they have implemented it yet.

Edited by GreenDevil

13 hours ago, oracle said:

same with nearly all exchanges now.crypto-crypto is no problem but crypto-fiat (or fiat-crypto)and you need ID

Sorry if stupid question but if you put your BTC on an exchange like Coinbase etc then is that the taxable moment as you have exchanged it from cold / offline storage to a price in kind?

Edited by GeordieAndy
3 minutes ago, GeordieAndy said:

Sorry if stupid question but if you put your BTC on an exchange like Coinbase etc then is that the taxable moment?

Not a stupid question at all, I'm not sure if anyone really knows. I guess it depends on whether going from a personally owned BTC to one in a common exchange pool is a "sale" for tax purposes,

Well from how I read things here in the UK if you are buying / selling or depositing a crypto currency onto a public exchange such as coinbase (that had to hand over records in USA) then you are creating a taxable event as you know what the price is at the time of deposit AND are effectively now trading it so would need to work out your CGT etc at that point. if you bought BTC as a gamble i.e. like the tax free gambling rules and have HODL since this time then you might get away with no tax if you cash out that 'gamble' once rather than traded it like a currency but I have ZERO experience or qualification to know how HMRC would handle this!

49 minutes ago, Steve Smith said:

Cashed out 10%, at ~£8500, to sovereigns via BitGild. Initial investment covered several times over by that.

You know, just in case its a bubble and not adoption curve.

That's a nice return. I think people have to look at their own independent circumstances, on when and whether to cash out. If there is something you really want, and it's really going to improve your standard of living, then by all means. Personally, I have cashed some... I have found through trading that I am more able to survive the drops and volatility emotionally if I have a balanced portfolio.

Although I must share this festive spirited wisdom from the bitcointalk forums with you all.

If you buy your wife a handbag for christmas and that costs $500, you could instead have $50,000 in about two years.  Do you know how that damn handbag will look in two years?  It will be old and wrinkly just like her face. 

All you have to do to save $49,500, is stay strong and durable on Christmas morning while explaining why you didn't buy a present.  Alright, she is definitely going to be pissed.  But how bad could it be?  Maybe it will last a week.  It is still worth $49,500.  

Don't buy any ******ing christmas presents!!!

Your lousy wife was probably going to leave you anyway.  Might as well just speed things up while making a fortune.  Then, get a new wife.  A better one.

Edited by adamLancs

Got an e-mail from NS&I today.

It's funny that they call their products guaranteed growth.

You get 2% whilst house prices are rising 10%. But it's o.k. because Jaffa Cakes are down 20%.

Did I mention that they want to lock up your money up for 3 years? 3 YEARS!!! The government will probably be buying Bitcoin themselves by then. With YOUR money!

You will never save faster than house prices rise with the current hegemony. The last 15 years back me up on that.

What you are witnessing today is a flight to safety. People want to protect the value of their money because the banks no longer do it. The government cares only for voters, voters with houses. If you don't have a house you are, in their eyes, a waste of time.

They have the cheek to offer you 2% whilst subsidizing housing schemes that will outpace this by multiples.

2% on your money. It's guaranteed to grow, just like haemorrhoids, and it's going to be about as useful.

And people still ask why people are buying crypto?

I am wary of the futures and shorting to keep a lid on the price, potentially (for a while), like they do with gold. But crypto in general, has left other options in the dirt.

34 minutes ago, adamLancs said:

That's a nice return. I think people have to look at their own independent circumstances, on when and whether to cash out. If there is something you really want, and it's really going to improve your standard of living, then by all means. Personally, I have cashed some... I have found through trading that I am more able to survive the drops and volatility emotionally if I have a balanced portfolio.

Although I must share this festive spirited wisdom from the bitcointalk forums with you all.

Yes, but a year or so ago I bought a really good american standard Fender Telecaster for 1.5 BTC when they were ~£500. Today that 1.5 BTC is worth close to £15,000; I could have  a  real vintage 1950's Tele. for that. I still think theres a fair chance of a similar situation with the sovs in a another couple of years.

As you may imagine, the friend I bought the Tele. from is now extremely pleased with the deal!

8 minutes ago, Steve Smith said:

Yes, but a year or so ago I bought a really good american standard Fender Telecaster for 1.5 BTC when they were ~£500. Today that 1.5 BTC is worth close to £15,000; I could have  a  real vintage 1950's Tele. for that. I still think theres a fair chance of a similar situation with the sovs in a another couple of years.

As you may imagine, the friend I bought the Tele. from is now extremely pleased with the deal!

Bought myself a sweet guitar

Niceeee and shiny and new

But I coulda had it better

And now I'm feeling blue

Yeahhhh I got my money from nothing

And you have too

But we coulda had it better

And now we're feeling blue

Oh lord..

Oh lord...

Yeahhhh I got myself a sweet guitar baby

But now I'm feeling blue....

Lol... now tell me you can't strum along to that...C F G no?

2 hours ago, Frizzers said:

Some rabid anti crypto peeps on the comments there, talking about USA law changes etc. They forget that the blockchain is not in the USA. It’s worldwide and there will always be an exit unless every country coordinates. What happens if Russia legalise Bitcoin and that get all the exchange profits and investments?

i find all this anger and panic from those not crypto in what is a very small amount of the world population that can lose their FIAT gains. 

They should just put their efforts into taxing cryptos exit into $ usd rather than banning it. Imagine the tax take if the USA introduced a 5% Crypto Gains Tax exiting into USD. Who would be arsed to avoid it?

I'm pretty sure it's just the way the human mind works...

You find something new, first instinct is to be fearful.

You look it up and down, you're curious, but you don't know what it can do. You don't understand.

You back away and leave it alone, even dismiss it, but you notice it follows you around.

Now you become aggressive, you fight it off. It's still there, so you find ways to attack it. You want it to go away.

All the while, other people are starting to interact with it. You notice this, and you observe.

You shout at them, you tell them they are crazy, that they should be afraid. Like you. But they continue to interact.

They are smiling, they are happy. You are intrigued. You move closer, nothing bad happens. You move closer again, nothing bad happens.

Eventually, you join them.

I'm going to guess at least 50% of the people who were in this topic attacking Bitcoin between 2013-2016 have invested something by now.

It's just evolution.

• Guest pinned this topic