House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

There was a link to that from ft alphaville today that made me read out. First I have heard about the in fighting between the developers.

It links to this reddit forum that has some interesting quotes which don't sound like the open decentralised system it was meant to be, sounds like there are a couple of new "rulers"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3h9cq4/its_time_for_a_break_about_the_recent_mess/

If consensus can never be reached on one particular hardfork proposal, then the hardfork should never occur. Just because you want something doesn't mean that it's ever reasonable for you to hijack Bitcoin from the people who don't want it, even if your side is the majority (which it isn't in this case). This isn't some democratic country where you can always get your way with sufficient politicking. Get consensus, live without the change, or create your own altcoin

I know almost for certain that there is no consensus to the change in XT because Bitcoin core developers Wladamir, Greg, and Pieter are opposed to it. That's enough to block consensus. And it works both ways: if Gavin and Mike are strongly opposed to Pieter's BIP, then this will also block consensus on that BIP.

If Mike Hearn really cared about decentralisation and censorship-resistant money, then why would he go to work for a company whose sole reason for existence is to create software for banks? He could have easily picked another cryptocurrency to work on,

If you follow the work of Wladamir, Greg, and Pieter, you'll soon realise that their expertise and brainpower is mind-blowing. I'd trust the judgement of the those core developers over Mike Hearn any day.

As for Reddit, if you've spent any time on the Bitcoin sub-reddit you'll soon realise that it's mostly populated by trolls.

Having looked at the market caps for cryptocurrencies, it seems that some money as flowed into two of the more popular altcoins: Ethereum and Dash.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot me down, but a few members seems a bit obsessed with this thread.  There are a lot of threads on HOUSEpricecrash and other things to do in general than aggressively defend Bitcoin (e.g. see fami

They could certainly put various things in place to try and stop but I just don't seem them doing it. Obviously they could make dealing, trading, holding or using bitcoin punishable with 10 years

Bitcoin Cash can and will scale on chain. The technology advance within the next decade will allow it to happen with ease and always remain ahead of demand. What Core have done to Bitcoin is criminal

Posted Images

If Mike Hearn really cared about decentralisation and censorship-resistant money, then why would he go to work for a company whose sole reason for existence is to create software for banks? He could have easily picked another cryptocurrency to work on,

If you follow the work of Wladamir, Greg, and Pieter, you'll soon realise that their expertise and brainpower is mind-blowing. I'd trust the judgement of the those core developers over Mike Hearn any day.

As for Reddit, if you've spent any time on the Bitcoin sub-reddit you'll soon realise that it's mostly populated by trolls.

Having looked at the market caps for cryptocurrencies, it seems that some money as flowed into two of the more popular altcoins: Ethereum and Dash.

spot on. When Hearn tried to secretly railroad IP blacklisting into the XT upgrade, and when he spoke about using coloured coins to sanction some coins based on usage in order to discriminate use, then he should have been immediately ignored. That some people still want to laud him is beyond me. Now he's working for the banks on their blockchains, that is all you need to know his agenda.

There are inevitably many people trying to destroy bitcoins, that much is a given, see them by what they do and say.

So far the noisy debate, which exactly how consensus forming should be, is a good sign. Bitcoin is working exactly as designed.

Killer Bunny, on 08 Jan 2016 - 2:00 PM, said:snapback.png

If BTC holds this rally from here it's going up a leg. $600?

Can't fail at c $455.

It did.

$455 is now Resistance. Needs to rise back above and hold. If doesn't, expect a sizeable pullback.

Intermediate trend is up whatever happens sh term.

This appears to be a flush out on 'news'. It's the sizeable pullback as indicated by the chart.

Can see a case for 300-350. But long term trend remains up, irrespective of short term gyrations.

Remember - within 10 years:

50% chance BTC goes up 100x

30% 500x

20% - goes to NIL.

or thereabouts.

Nah. Banned.

My guess is some of the Chinese stock market crash is going into bitcoins, hence the ramp.

At some point the Chinese government is going to get tired of that.

i agree. although bitcoin is still very tiny. barely worth even banning it for them.

Bitcoin only needs a tiny % of chinas population to do a moon-shoot.

banning does scare me a little. making it very illegal would certainly make me not dare touch/move mine.

but banning it does also give it a lot of credence.

if all else fails you still have gold and bitcoin to fall back on. And fiat currency does historically fail.

We could wake up one day and something big could of happened in america, and USD takes a hammering. never know!

.......if all else fails you still have gold and bitcoin to fall back on. And fiat currency does historically fail.

It's not just fiat currencies that fail.........Roman currency failed as well.

What doesn't fail is gold, there is a history backing that claim.

And bitcoin doesn't have a history to prove anything..._

Killer Bunny, on 08 Jan 2016 - 2:00 PM, said:snapback.png

This appears to be a flush out on 'news'. It's the sizeable pullback as indicated by the chart.

Can see a case for 300-350. But long term trend remains up, irrespective of short term gyrations.

Remember - within 10 years:

50% chance BTC goes up 100x

30% 500x

20% - goes to NIL.

or thereabouts.

Like houseprices? :)

I have no bitcoin - and no interest in it bar a vague feeling that I have missed out on something (mind you, that's not for the first time).

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/15/mike-hearn-quits-bitcoin/

I have no idea what is going on (but the same could be said of fractional reserve banking)

I'm rather enjoying it all tho!

Sub $400 nobody's missed out on it!

Think that within 10 years 30% chance it could go to $30,000.

50% chance it goes to $150,000.

20% it goes to zero.

He is MOST impressive.

I take from it that blockchain companies will be in tech mutual funds down the line.

Goog aapl nflx amzn etc..

that guy in the video was not Hearn, it was a banker talking about Hearn. The bankers blockchains cannot compete with bitcoins. Banker blockchains are private and owned by the banks. How does that compete with a decentralized, trustless blockchain network like bitcoins? You think the bankers on their private blockchains will not have complete control (ie centralized) over their digital currency? It's a joke, they've got more like a fancy database than a trustless, distributed, blockchain. They know it, that's why they are worried. Hearn's backed a loser. Edited by evetsm
  • Guest featured this topic
  • Guest pinned this topic