House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441

what a load of useless drivel.  

Human nature is the number one currency and that is greed it can never be altered.  May as well call it greed coin, by investing in greed coin i will be securing the future of the victims and losers that did not invest in greed coin from its introduction. however i am happy to part with some of my greed coin for 10000x more than i paid for it as i will be saving the planet with greed coin. all hail greed coin.  

BTL without a roof. 

HOLA442
10 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Nonsense.

Bitcoin Core is out of date technology that will get replaced in due course- it goes obsolete as soon as the first Quantum Computing hack happens. I reckon this will be by 2023.  It will be 2028 before QC is starting to mainstream, but BTC will be worthless long before then.

8 hours ago, longgone said:

what a load of useless drivel.  

Human nature is the number one currency and that is greed it can never be altered.  May as well call it greed coin, by investing in greed coin i will be securing the future of the victims and losers that did not invest in greed coin from its introduction. however i am happy to part with some of my greed coin for 10000x more than i paid for it as i will be saving the planet with greed coin. all hail greed coin.  

BTL without a roof. 

Some people just don’t understand the concept of money. And some don’t realise that bitcoin public keys are hashed on the blockchain and immune to quantum. And I like the quantum dates picked out of nowhere, exactly like the nonsense ripple prices

HOLA443
2 hours ago, dannyf said:

Some people just don’t understand the concept of money. And some don’t realise that bitcoin public keys are hashed on the blockchain and immune to quantum. And I like the quantum dates picked out of nowhere, exactly like the nonsense ripple prices

who benefits the most for the invention of anything ? look there and the true value will be found.

HOLA444
13 hours ago, dannyf said:

Read up on Shor’s Algorithm!

Bitcoin is heading for $0

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA445

Just managed to add some cryptocurrency exposure to my Pension, via my Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP.  Happy days. Add the UK £GBP cash equivalent of roughly 1 Bitcoin and 14 Ethereum. 

Did this via a lot of research and the Swedish XBT Provider ETN products (exchange traded notes).  XBT products were added to HL clients in 2017. Mind you had to click a load of disclaimer boxes online to say you were a protrader and knew this and knew that, blah, blah. blah, i've been in Crypto since before they even knew what it was!!!  I picked the Swedish Krona SEK versions as i'm not 100% confident the € Euro will exist in 5+ years time.

So if you want some BTC or ETH exposure in a SIPP see if your provider supports XBT Provider , https://xbtprovider.com/products

ETN SEK unit prices are roughly 1/100th of an ETH and 5/1000th of a BTC, or in Euros 1/10th of and ETH and 5/100th of a BTC.

Now watch prices plumet down to $4k BTC. Not bothered I cant touch this money for at least another 5 years.

HOLA446
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Read up on Shor’s Algorithm!

Bitcoin is heading for $0

I explained this before. Shor's Algorithm can theoretically calculate a private key given the public key, but bitcoin private keys can remain hidden by sending all change outputs to new bitcoin addresses. A bitcoin address is a hash of the public key. There is no theoretical algorithm in existence for reversing a hash function. The public key is only revealed when coins are spent so if all change outputs always go to new addresses you'll never see a public key with any funds  to crack.

HOLA447
12 hours ago, skrillex said:

I explained this before. Shor's Algorithm can theoretically calculate a private key given the public key, but bitcoin private keys can remain hidden by sending all change outputs to new bitcoin addresses. A bitcoin address is a hash of the public key. There is no theoretical algorithm in existence for reversing a hash function. The public key is only revealed when coins are spent so if all change outputs always go to new addresses you'll never see a public key with any funds  to crack.

Read this:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-is-not-quantum-safe-and-how-we-can-fix-1375242150/

HOLA448
HOLA449
41 minutes ago, Will! said:

Easily fixed.

This describes modern FIAT currency with is basically debt IOU's not money. It falls straight over on point 1: Store of value.  How much has the purchasing power of the £ lost since 2009 via inflation and exchange arate of now being the worlds reserve FIAT currency? Bitcoin has appreciated in value 1000's of % vs any FIAT currency since 2009 and even against Gold and Silver.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
4 hours ago, dragging boot straps said:

Uphold have announced that you will be able to get interest on your bitcoin! This is a game changer. They will be adding more digital assets in time also... link here to Uphold

Interesting, but comes down to risk/reward. I don’t think 5% is worth the risk of them losing it, for me at least. I’d rather store on coinbase with a 0% return (safer in my opinion), or store it myself (which is what I do)

HOLA4412
8 hours ago, dragging boot straps said:

Uphold have announced that you will be able to get interest on your bitcoin! This is a game changer. They will be adding more digital assets in time also... link here to Uphold

Seems like they'll have insurance so you'll be able to sign up for the extra % offer now and then be covered later security wise. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 09/10/2018 at 18:56, markyh said:

This describes modern FIAT currency with is basically debt IOU's not money. It falls straight over on point 1: Store of value.  How much has the purchasing power of the £ lost since 2009 via inflation and exchange arate of now being the worlds reserve FIAT currency? Bitcoin has appreciated in value 1000's of % vs any FIAT currency since 2009 and even against Gold and Silver.

So, Bitcoin isn't a store of value either?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
 Steve Keen and Paul Mason liked

99% of crypto land is one shitcoin traded for another shitcoin. And the average shitcoin lost 90% or more of its value in the last year.

So Crypto Land is Crap Land, a cesspool of lunatics with severe Freudian scatological obsessions that swim 24/7 in their own stinking shit.

https://twitter.com/Nouriel/status/1050425363413827584  

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Bitcoin is the 'mother of all scams' and blockchain is most hyped tech ever

Global economist Nouriel Roubini, one of the few who predicted the 2008 financial crisis, is making sure U.S. senators don't miss his warning on cryptocurrency.

Within minutes of testifying at a congressional hearing on Capitol Hill on Thursday, Roubini sounded alarms on multiple aspects of the new digital asset class.

"Crypto is the mother or father of all scams and bubbles," Roubini, also a professor at New York University, told the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Community Affairs at a hearing. cnbc

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I dont have a dog in the BTC fight,it was all a bit confusing to me anyway. But here's Roubini again:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/blockchain-big-lie-by-nouriel-roubini-2018-10?a_la=english&a_d=5bc45c3a78b6c7572cc3c59a&a_m=&a_a=click&a_s=&a_p=%2Farchive&a_li=blockchain-big-lie-by-nouriel-roubini-2018-10&a_pa=&a_ps=&utm_source=CapX+briefing&utm_campaign=801d253d0e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_17_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5017135a0-801d253d0e-241824445

"No serious institution would ever allow its transactions to be verified by an anonymous cartel operating from the shadows of the world’s authoritarian kleptocracies. So it is no surprise that whenever “blockchain” has been piloted in a traditional setting, it has either been thrown in the trash bin or turned into a private permissioned database that is nothing more than an Excel spreadsheet or a database with a misleading name."

HOLA4422
38 minutes ago, dryrot said:

I dont have a dog in the BTC fight,it was all a bit confusing to me anyway. But here's Roubini again:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/blockchain-big-lie-by-nouriel-roubini-2018-10?a_la=english&a_d=5bc45c3a78b6c7572cc3c59a&a_m=&a_a=click&a_s=&a_p=%2Farchive&a_li=blockchain-big-lie-by-nouriel-roubini-2018-10&a_pa=&a_ps=&utm_source=CapX+briefing&utm_campaign=801d253d0e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_17_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5017135a0-801d253d0e-241824445

"No serious institution would ever allow its transactions to be verified by an anonymous cartel operating from the shadows of the world’s authoritarian kleptocracies. So it is no surprise that whenever “blockchain” has been piloted in a traditional setting, it has either been thrown in the trash bin or turned into a private permissioned database that is nothing more than an Excel spreadsheet or a database with a misleading name."

True.

There are people making $$s sitting in research labs in the big banks because they've sold the idea (or been sold the idea) that the banks need "a blockchain" for settlements or something or anything really. 

No. Databases exist. They're fast efficient and secure. A blockchain offers nothing for their use case that can't be achieved more simply and efficiently through traditional methods. 

I do have a stake in BTC (and a few others) but only as a hedge against being wrong about them and/or the remote chance other people are idiots and continue to bid the price up. 

HOLA4423
6 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

True.

There are people making $$s sitting in research labs in the big banks because they've sold the idea (or been sold the idea) that the banks need 

I do have a stake in BTC (and a few others) but only as a hedge against being wrong about them and/or the remote chance other people are idiots and continue to bid the price up. 

This is the most retarded investment thesis I have ever come across. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425