House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
1 hour ago, warpig said:

This could be the top, some are saying that's the case... There is significant resistance above... to buy at this point risks a loss. I know the fundamentals and market interest suggest a much higher price... but I need some proof first.

You are always risking a loss though! If you are waiting for a point where there is no risk of a loss then you will continue waiting

HOLA442

The question is, what is the potential upside and what is the chance of that happening and what is the potential downside and what is the chance of that happening. Then you can decide how risky it is and invest an amount that keeps you within your risk tolerance. Or decide that the downside is greater than the upside and don't invest.

Say you think that there is a 40% chance of it going to 1m and a 60% chance of it going to 0 in 5 years. That's a pretty good punt. But unless you have a very high appetite for risk, better not to put the house on it, maybe just the car. This is the situation JJ was in. Maybe he should have kept some but fair enough that he didn't want to put the house on it

If you think there is a 40% chance of it going to 120k and a 60% chance of it going 0 then that would be a bad investment so you sit out

Personally I think that there is a more than 50% chance of it more than doubling and I have a high appetite for risk so I am all in

HOLA443
31 minutes ago, stilgar said:

You are always risking a loss though! If you are waiting for a point where there is no risk of a loss then you will continue waiting

Agreed... there's never a point where risk is reduced to zero, but there are certainly times when risk is high. After a parabolic rise and resistance forms above the current price, the risk is much higher. 

HOLA444
On 08/12/2020 at 01:59, warpig said:

I do like it... I just don't see it as a panacea. I'm only going to buy a fraction of a BTC and some XRP... I see this as a short term investment, hence I'm still waiting for the pullback. If for some reason it doesn't happen, I won't chase the market up.

This was at £18K. So just stick to your guns, don’t chase the market up

HOLA445
HOLA446
32 minutes ago, warpig said:

Agreed... there's never a point where risk is reduced to zero, but there are certainly times when risk is high. After a parabolic rise and resistance forms above the current price, the risk is much higher. 

I don't see how the risk is higher, maybe even the opposite. If the impulse response of a system is to mean-revert, you can expect the next impulse to mean-revert. If the impulse response of a system is a dampened oscillation at a higher level, what would you expect of the next impulse?

HOLA447
13 minutes ago, warpig said:

My thoughts have evolved since then... this post is months old...

But you’re still fixated on price charts not the value proposition.

Buy a few quids worth. It will be worth it just to get Monsieur off your back 

HOLA448
15 minutes ago, Mixle said:

I don't see how the risk is higher, maybe even the opposite. If the impulse response of a system is to mean-revert, you can expect the next impulse to mean-revert. If the impulse response of a system is a dampened oscillation at a higher level, what would you expect of the next impulse?

What makes you think it's from a higher level?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
13 minutes ago, Lenelby said:

The charts show me the behavior of buyers and sellers... it gives BTC a personality which I partially use to gauge risk. I'm not convinced by the value perspective... but I know others are and I'd like to capitalise on it. That's alright I have broad shoulders! 😎

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
5 hours ago, Lenelby said:

like1.png

🙂

We got off on the wrong footing when he critised my tried and tested DCA + HODL = FTW strategy but I do honestly like @warpig and enjoy his postings. He just has a different approach, thinking, and appetite for risk than me. 😀 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA4415

9 hours ago, warpig said:

The chart is just an extra bit of information, it's not all telling. I want to know BTC isn't dead before I sink money into it. I'm not suggesting this is the end, but it could be based on the rhetoric of others. I'm not waiting for a pullback to increaase my profits, I'm looking for a pullback or a breakthrough to confirm the health of BTC.

Short term price action (and by short term I mean less than 2 to 3 years) has no baring on bitcoins long term prospects. This is what you fail to grasp, you are trying to interpret noise as signal.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4416
6 hours ago, Lenelby said:

This x100, bitcoin is the worst market on earth to try to technically trade (mind you I don't believe TA works consistently in anything anywhere). You should be in or out depending on whether you believe in the value proposition or not. It was because I believed in it that I held despite being underwater for 18 months after initially buying.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, warpig said:

The charts show me the behavior of buyers and sellers... it gives BTC a personality which I partially use to gauge risk. I'm not convinced by the value perspective... but I know others are and I'd like to capitalise on it. That's alright I have broad shoulders! 😎

If you believe that other people will value bitcoin in the long term then you actually DO believe in it because you've just described the very game theory that makes a currency have durable value, just like @dugsbodyclaims to not believe in it but actually does.

Its the same with me and gold, I believe in its value because I believe other people will always value it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
No no-coiners on here can seriously state this isn't bullish news.

We also know there has been a significant shift in mood.  We hardly blink an eye at news, which less than 5 months ago would have attracted comment / excitement.  We know how network effect/exponential growth works...whoosh!  

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA4420

This could be the top, some are saying that's the case... There is significant resistance above... to buy at this point risks a loss. I know the fundamentals and market interest suggest a much higher price... but I need some proof first.

@warpigmaybe it's time to put yourself out of misery and accept you will not invest in BTC.  🙄

The chart is just an extra bit of information, it's not all telling. I want to know BTC isn't dead before I sink money into it. I'm not suggesting this is the end, but it could be based on the rhetoric of others. I'm not waiting for a pullback to increaase my profits, I'm looking for a pullback or a breakthrough to confirm the health of BTC.

As above...🤔

7 hours ago, warpig said:

My thoughts have evolved since then... this post is months old...

You do make me smile.  🙂

HOLA4421
9 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

If you believe that other people will value bitcoin in the long term then you actually DO believe in it because you've just described the very game theory that makes a currency have durable value, just like @dugsbodyclaims to not believe in it but actually does.

Its the same with me and gold, I believe in its value because I believe other people will always value it.

You just have to believe it has a chance of gaining institutional acceptance and gojng to $1m. 

I took a largish punt on Tesla because I viewed it as an asymmetric bet, 50/50 whether it went to near 0 or x5. Does that make me a believer or a gambler.

My Bitcoin investment is another such punt, could go to near 0 or x20. I still suspect near 0 is the more likely outcome but think there is enough of a chance of x20 to make it worth going along for the ride. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
51 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Short term price action (and by short term I mean less than 2 to 3 years) has no baring on bitcoins long term prospects. This is what you fail to grasp, you are trying to interpret noise as signal.

This is exactly why DCA + (BTFD if poss) + HODL = FTW

I added (BTFD if poss) to my formula for gud mate @Buffer Bear

HOLA4425