House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
32 minutes ago, markyh said:

How did you manage to "sell" your kids BTC into FIAT ? Surely to be classed as "theirs" it would need to be sold via an account with KYC in their names.  I understand "gifiting" your wife and kids BTC to the vlaue of £12500 each, and the wife getting an account is easy as over 18 (i assume!!!), but the kids bit is curious. 

I set up etoro accounts for the kids in Dec (the youngest had just hit 18) and wife so it was easy to transfer between BC and ETH.  The kids don't even know they have an account or any BC (they have 2 each 1 bought by me and one by their Grandfather), I have told my wife but she is pretty uninterested in anything to do with money and as it is all funded by a quarter of the profits from Tesla I have a free pass if it goes to zero.    

I might be missing something but so far I haven't seen a reason to use a crypto exchange, I like the fact that on etoro dealing is instant and the spread only 0.4%.  

HOLA442
5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I set up etoro accounts for the kids in Dec (the youngest had just hit 18) and wife so it was easy to transfer between BC and ETH.  The kids don't even know they have an account or any BC (they have 2 each 1 bought by me and one by their Grandfather), I have told my wife but she is pretty uninterested in anything to do with money and as it is all funded by a quarter of the profits from Tesla I have a free pass if it goes to zero.    

I might be missing something but so far I haven't seen a reason to use a crypto exchange, I like the fact that on etoro dealing is instant and the spread only 0.4%.  

@Confusion of VIsNice move. I'm thinking of setting up accounts with Swan for this reason albeit with DCA'ing for them. Only thing with my younger, they're quite protective with money and if they found out the details, I'd be locked out of the account in a flash! 🙄 

P.s. your wife sounds like my husband. 🙄 

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA443
HOLA444
21 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

It's still early but the windows closing on the normal person ever owning 1 whole Bitcoin. 

For the *normal* person, that is long, long gone. I think that went at around 5k, or even less. 

actually there are very few people who would have chucked in that even, and they aren’t normal people. 

At £40k/1 btc, no normal person (let’s say net worth of less than 100k, not much interest in finance, average job, still watches the bbc) who has zero crypto now would buy in for a whole one. No way. You would need at least a net worth of 500k liquid to do it, and still have a pretty unorthodox mindset.

HOLA445
2 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

For the *normal* person, that is long, long gone. I think that went at around 5k, or even less. 

actually there are very few people who would have chucked in that even, and they aren’t normal people. 

At £40k/1 btc, no normal person (let’s say net worth of less than 100k, not much interest in finance, average job, still watches the bbc) who has zero crypto now would buy in for a whole one. No way. You would need at least a net worth of 500k liquid to do it, and still have a pretty unorthodox mindset.

Probably true, but if i won £500k on the lottery next week, i would clear the mortgage and put the other £250k straight into Crypto. £150k BTC, £50k in Eth , and £50k play money for risky Alts i take a fancy too. 

HOLA446
1 minute ago, markyh said:

Probably true, but if i won £500k on the lottery next week, i would clear the mortgage and put the other £250k straight into Crypto. £150k BTC, £50k in Eth , and £50k play money for risky Alts i take a fancy too. 

Similar, but I have no mortgage and no house, so the whole 500k would go 40% btc, 40% eth and 20% Nasdaq etfs. 

Actually screw the Nasdaq. Taycan cross tourismo 4s.  

We are not normal people. 

HOLA447
HOLA448
18 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Yeah I think you right. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
25 minutes ago, longgone said:

I might of invested at 5k if i had the mindset a year ago.

Cumrocket is up 300% in 3 days

Alts are more fun

Alts are more fun, and you have more chance of making a 1000-5000% gain for sure starting now in a shortish time period. 

you also have a great chance of losing 99% in that same time.

if you’re a trader go for it. But I’ve lost easily 40k trying to trade, and the opportunity cost of that and some of the things I tried to be smart with and sold runs is well into the millions in ‘if only’. 

But I’ll stick to BTC/ETH and that’s it. There’s a comfort in keeping it simple.

10 minutes ago, longgone said:

Any where near london and not owning a house for the last 10 15 years is idiotic investments or not if you where able to.

integrity is worth more than money - sod rigged housing. it seems to have a bigger financial pay off too. Every £1000 rise is a 300% gain for me in btc. And that’s just one of my decent investments. There are many losers in there too, but the big winners, I keep them now. 

a house should *never* be seen as an investment. It’s a place to live. Living by that rule has done me fine. 

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4415
7 minutes ago, longgone said:

Yep sold just checked should have put 0.40 lol

Yes, so you had a bit of fun and presumably got a few quid for it. And DOGGIEs are the "joke" coin, apparently. I'm holding on to mine as I reckon the DOGGIE  Army is quite a resilient breed.

HOLA4416
8 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Alts are more fun, and you have more chance of making a 1000-5000% gain for sure starting now in a shortish time period. 

you also have a great chance of losing 99% in that same time.

if you’re a trader go for it. But I’ve lost easily 40k trying to trade, and the opportunity cost of that and some of the things I tried to be smart with and sold runs is well into the millions in ‘if only’. 

But I’ll stick to BTC/ETH and that’s it. There’s a comfort in keeping it simple.

integrity is worth more than money - sod rigged housing. it seems to have a bigger financial pay off too. Every £1000 rise is a 300% gain for me in btc. And that’s just one of my decent investments. There are many losers in there too, but the big winners, I keep them now. 

a house should *never* be seen as an investment. It’s a place to live. Living by that rule has done me fine. 

Well im still learning, losing is half the fun though same as gambling🤣

Wether a house is seen as an investment or not the majority think it is and the majority is what this government care about.

500k house purchased 2008 to 2011 are 1.2m now near me.

Else where in the country it may be different but not here.

HOLA4417

Also maybe I’m extremely strange, but I also did not and do not want to own more bitcoin then I think is reasonable for one person to have. I have zero interest in being rich. I just want to have no worries and freedom.

theres 21 million of them, and 7 billion people on earth. Owning 1 is already in some ways highly excessive 😁 3 mBTC is a fine amount in the grand scheme of things. 

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, smash said:

Yes, so you had a bit of fun and presumably got a few quid for it. And DOGGIEs are the "joke" coin, apparently. I'm holding on to mine as I reckon the DOGGIE  Army is quite a resilient breed.

I will buy again when it drops done it twice already

Yeah few quid not much really

🤣

HOLA4419
2 minutes ago, longgone said:

Wether a house is seen as an investment or not the majority think it is and the majority is what this government care about.

It should be obvious I don’t give two sh1ts what the government care about prioritising. Or what most people think.

thats why I’m on this thread.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
40 minutes ago, smash said:

Not resilient enough to contribute code and pull requests nor secure the network. Someone will 51% attack Doge. It's just a matter of when. 

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Frugal Git said:

Also maybe I’m extremely strange, but I also did not and do not want to own more bitcoin then I think is reasonable for one person to have. I have zero interest in being rich. I just want to have no worries and freedom.

theres 21 million of them, and 7 billion people on earth. Owning 1 is already in some ways highly excessive 😁 3 mBTC is a fine amount in the grand scheme of things. 

Just needs a bit of marketing/rebranding to change the debate to how many Satoshi you own then anyone can buy lots. Next make them available under the new brand on Robin Hood etc. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

3 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

I think I quite like this characterisation...

3 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Well we were telling you last year but would you listen.

This needs be put on "repeat" - far more efficient.

2 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

😲

46 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

I listened to a video where this was discussed and whilst I can't even pretend that I understood, I was left with the impression that it was  highly significant.  What amused me was the way it was was determined i.e. by block size  or ?  can't recall the second option.  Some developers were quite concerned for the lack of robust decision-making given its importance.  Personally, having no technical knowledge, I would have  thrown a dice! 😂 Appears this is no less than what they did...

HOLA4425