House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
HOLA442
3 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

😯

😁

35 minutes ago, longgone said:

I'm not sure why you've posted this but if it's to highlight the far lower price at that time, thank you, I am aware of Bitcoin's history.  I also reviewed the thread given the important information shared and I really appreciated following personal stories including @markyhas one of the earliest and consistent posters.

HOLA443
7 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

Also I have head exposure to other bitcoin chat forums, the majority of new investors know nothing of the basics and are piling in morons. 

these are the flighty types than panic buy and panic sell.

the fundamentals of bitcoin are strong, but a culling of the newer investors is now due, in fact I’m panicking that the price has reached blow off stage already, and I left it too late to realise my gains by the time the exchanges let me in 

It’s never wrong to take a profit and I’ve always thought the most difficult thing about buying any investment is deciding when to sell it.

Try and take as much emotion out of the decision as you can. Maybe write down some reasons and think about how you’d feel in different scenarios. Often helps when deciding something big.

For what it’s worth during 2017 I made a couple of buys and then sold all my Bitcoin in 3 tranches, the last in December. Not quite the top but pretty close. This evening I’ve sold most of my ethereum (which isn’t a lot) but my plan was always to sell my ethereum this tax year when the price was looking overheated and use the cash to transfer it into Bitcoin on a dip. I’ve no idea if this will turn out to be good timing or not but I was feeling a bit of pressure like you this weekend.

Btw I won’t be selling all the Bitcoin this time. Nothing better to put the money in quite honestly but I don’t have a mortgage like you do. You have to do what is best for you.

HOLA444

Know when the hold know when to fold. 

to be fair even if it does crash at this point it’s still almost going to be worth the 2017 peak at the low. 

I will keep some in, but I’m also slightly worried about the tax regime changing also.

to be fair I have been too greedy already, I will be happy to sell down.

it will be good to tell people I have sold everything (but actually kept some in) as your bitcoins are only as safe as a plumbers torch and a pair of pliers. 

wish I never mentioned it to anyone, my boss even knows now, not through my telling him, but mention it once and they know. 

I will always invest in bitcoin, nothing is like it, but it’s growth to stupid amounts of exposure now. 

HOLA445
14 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

to be fair even if it does crash at this point it’s still almost going to be worth the 2017 peak at the low. 

I will keep some in, but I’m also slightly worried about the tax regime changing also.

it will be good to tell people I have sold everything (but actually kept some in) as your bitcoins are only as safe as a plumbers torch and a pair of pliers. 

wish I never mentioned it to anyone, my boss even knows now, not through my telling him, but mention it once and they know. 

I will always invest in bitcoin, nothing is like it, but it’s growth to stupid amounts of exposure now. 

Fair enough.  It sounds like you're close to your decision which includes keeping an investment. 

Outside of my husband, I have told only one friend that I have a little interest in cryptocurrency.  No figures etc will ever be shared. Far easier this way.

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA446
On 20/02/2021 at 18:51, Mixle said:

The TCP/IP header does not say "I'm a BTC packet" anywhere. And a well implemented ECDH can be indistinguishable from random noise. Source: I implemented one of these.

Detection of Bitcoin Transactions in Network Traffic

The new Bitcoin protocol classification functionality enhances network analytics and security solutions to identify Bitcoin network activity. This enables enterprises to identify, control and block bitcoin transactions within a network.

Rohde & Schwarz Cybersecurity today announced the availability of its new Bitcoin protocol classification capabilities provided by the deep packet inspection (DPI) engine R&S PACE 2. The OEM software solution is now able to reliably detect and classify the Bitcoin protocol in network traffic in real time.

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/solutions/cybersecurity/about-us/news/news-bitcoin-transactions_233324.html

HOLA447
HOLA448
11 minutes ago, warpig said:

None of that contradicts what I wrote:

"Yeh implementation can be changed to initiate all connections fully encrypted though. Authentication-free ECDSA public key gets transmitted first, then d-hellman, whole stream looks like random data."

Edited by Mixle

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hmmm....all this talk of cashing in makes for twitchy bum time. Crypto now 25% of personal net worth, not including work life insurance policy. 

As cold as it may sound, I decided to be ultra rational. I’m going to add the current value of that life insurance policy and my share of a potential future inheritance to my net worth. That takes the figure down to 15%. I’m more than comfortable with that figure. If it gets to 25% with the new calculation methodology, then another rethink. Basically that’s ~£100k per btc. 

yes things can change, this is all hypothetical and some pretty ruthless ways to think about things but I believe that’s exactly the way wealthy people think - they plan ahead and they act without emotion.

I’m not up at night thinking up shares etc which are equally insanely valued in some senses, so why worry about crypto holdings in the same way? I’m pretty sure it’s the best asset you can hold anyway, why stress?

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

I am on a scramble to sell now. You guys have finally pushed me to that decision. 

signed up to coinfloor and instantly had my account suspended (I suspect it’s due to me already having an account with them years ago which I never used, linked to an old broken phone etc) 

it’s reached life changing amounts and I rather the bird in the hand than the one in the bush. 

have a few days off work but I suspect they will be too busy to deal with me on the phone! 

I’m thinking of leaving some in just in case, but providing I can sell before it crashes I have finally reached my moon. 

Make sure you do that.

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

equally I’m going to sell down my gold also, at first I was upset that gold had lost a lot of value from a few months ago, but at the same time bitcoin has eaten some of its market share, so lost with one hand and gained with the other. 

gold was my emergency fund considering that I have a mortgage etc, but if that’s no longer an issue it seems a little more pointless.

You should wait until June/July to make that decision... it's forming a cup and handle... you'd be selling just before it does its thing...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
32 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I personally think it's a good decision to at least sell 50%.

HOLA4415
6 minutes ago, warpig said:

You should wait until June/July to make that decision... it's forming a cup and handle... you'd be selling just before it does its thing...

Honestly - please stick around this thread 

This sort of humour is high art. comedy AU if you will.

I am gonna buy some gold tomorrow though, because I think you’re right 👍 

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4416
2 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

... because the charts have worked so well before havnt they ...

Not with bitcoin no... it appears unchartable... it doesn't seem to adhere to any tradeable pattern. Up is not a pattern... The only pattern I can still see in bitcoin is potentially a megaphone pattern... Gold still trades according to tradeable patterns even if bitcoin doesn't.

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Honestly - please stick around this thread 

This sort of humour is high art. comedy AU if you will.

I am gonna buy some gold tomorrow though, because I think you’re right 👍 

Eh? Why is this funny if you think I'm right?

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, RodCrosby said:

If anyone's interested, these are the $ prices and dates that would follow the 2017 blow-off top APR.

In other words, be worried if we get anywhere near them around the dates listed.

01/03/2021 195
01/04/2021 207
01/05/2021 220
01/06/2021 234
01/07/2021 249
01/08/2021 265
01/09/2021 281
01/10/2021 299
01/11/2021 318
01/12/2021 337
01/01/2022 359
01/02/2022 382
01/03/2022 404
01/04/2022 429
01/05/2022 456
01/06/2022 485

Thanks for this. Great for context.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, longgone said:

yeah and if you sold up and bought back in you could of had 4x as much for no extra money. 

but we conveniently forget that 😂

Hodlers are not traders. Never have been.

With you excelent 'hindsight trader' skills if only you'd bought as recently as March 2020 you'd be 6x up. 

But you conveniently forget that yourself. 🤣

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
14 minutes ago, warpig said:

It's my industry. This was possible 15 years ago let alone now.

@warpigPoint taken.  But there will always be those in your area of expertise who oppose your view.  I think in simple terms.  If BTC could have been stopped, it wouldn't have been a discussion point at this stage, imho.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
8 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Hodlers are not traders. Never have been.

With you excelent 'hindsight trader' skills if only you'd bought as recently as March 2020 you'd be 6x up. 

But you conveniently forget that yourself. 🤣

hey even i make mistakes. 

glad you got gainz off doge though 🤣

my future plans are to get trades down to the millisecond 

HOLA4424
54 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

Regardless of price, i`m glad that you have spotted eventually they are going to try and tax it into the ground like everything else.  

i see 3 points negative for it CGT and its priced in dollars and the third it makes you a target if they know you have it.   

The little guy is only allowed so much after all. 

HOLA4425
15 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

@warpigPoint taken.  But there will always be those in your area of expertise who oppose your view.  I think in simple terms.  If BTC could have been stopped, it wouldn't have been a discussion point at this stage, imho.

I'm sure it's being discussed by the BTC architects... they're not doing their job if they're not considering it. If I was a BTC developer I'd start considering a true P2P VPN network, specifically for BTC, much like the TOR network, but the development time isn't insignificant.