House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
HOLA442
5 hours ago, RodCrosby said:

It's all relative, anyhow, even within countries. £1m in London/South-East is nothing. Further north it goes a lot further.

Then abroad, even moreso. Find a happy, sunny, country with proportionally-fewer millionaires than your own, and ideally less Gini-index wealth-inequality (probably less crime), and head there, to live like a king.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_of_wealth#21st_century

Cross-reference with the homicide rate here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Edited by RodCrosby

HOLA443
HOLA444
15 minutes ago, 77W said:

This is not going to end well. Expecting an update on the New York Attorney General case against iFinex / Tether / Bitfinex this Friday - link to documents here:

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=npvulMdOYzFDYIAomW_PLUS_elw==&PageNum=2&narrow=

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

20210213_150652.jpg

Bitfinex says it repaid $550 million Tether crypto loan central to fraud probe | Fortune

Nothing to see here, move along. They will find all the USDT in existence are backed by USD.  There is no problem. Plus BTC price is not just set off Tether exchanges. Many exchanges don't use or accept Tether, they use USDC or other stablecoins. 

Grabbing at straws. 

HOLA445
7 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Watch what they do not what they say...See from 5:00.  Rick Rieder - BlackRock CIO. Tripping over his words (5:20) trying to hide his support. 12 weeks later (videos dates from November) they're in probably using Saylor's playbook.  I guess BR couldn't reveal their hand when in the midst of execution planning. 

3 months later...

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Is it technically possible to mine on a ryzen 7 4800u intergrated gpu cpu combo

Yes, with some caveats. The cpu won’t generate much, and I doubt the gpu will either but technically possible - sure. With that having integrated vega graphics it depends on how much effective VRAM is allocated, but it should work. Try it 🤷🏻‍♀️

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, Buffer Bear said:

Why?

Let's hope the interest is in Bitcoin.  Is there any crossover with Oracle and Polkadot?

Laurence Ellison is a board member of Tesla. Musk fly to Ellison’s private island recently. Oracle is sitting on a very large ice cube of meting fiat. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, markyh said:

Bitfinex says it repaid $550 million Tether crypto loan central to fraud probe | Fortune

Nothing to see here, move along. They will find all the USDT in existence are backed by USD.  There is no problem. Plus BTC price is not just set off Tether exchanges. Many exchanges don't use or accept Tether, they use USDC or other stablecoins. 

Grabbing at straws. 

This thread is back to the old Tether FUD again I see. The same Tether that is what 3% to cap of Bitcoin. Yeah it must be the Tethers what pumped it. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
4 hours ago, RodCrosby said:

I'm exploring taking the full 25%, then off to Portugal to be taxed at 10% on the remainder. 

Effective rate 7.5%...

Looks like I'd end up with more pension-pot left than I started with, given likely investment rates.

And live like a king.

4 hours ago, markyh said:

Sounds good.  Portugal for me too for 4 years if BTC gets anywhere near north of $400k and Sunni ups CGT to 40%.  All eyes of the budget next month for sure.  

Nothing to stop Portugal deciding to tax crypto, or even just non EU holders of crypto, 3 years into your exile. 

If you have, or believe that you are going to have, 6 or 7 figures worth of Bitcoin the time to get tax advice is now.

There are many amazingly naïve posts about taxation on here and if you wait until it is time to sell to get tax advice you will probably learn then about what you should have been doing years ago to minimise your bill.  

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
28 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Nothing to stop Portugal deciding to tax crypto, or even just non EU holders of crypto, 3 years into your exile. 

If you have, or believe that you are going to have, 6 or 7 figures worth of Bitcoin the time to get tax advice is now.

There are many amazingly naïve posts about taxation on here and if you wait until it is time to sell to get tax advice you will probably learn then about what you should have been doing years ago to minimise your bill.  

Disagree. Only by selling the asset now that  is appreciating 200% pa can you do a reset, and that is crazy. Anyway, you would sell 6 months and 1 day after moving to Portugal, as it takes living their 6 months to be declared a tax resident. The next 4 years you have to stay out of the Uk 90% of your time so HMRC can’t class you as still a tax resident of the Uk. 

Also, you would not remain in cash in Portugal, sell 100% after 6 months, trigger a  0% CGT bill, buy back 1 month later to create a “reset”.  And the £400k+ Uk CGT bill saving would be kept in cash to fund the 4 year exile, buy a house outright, car, and living costs. No Need to work. 

HOLA4421
30 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

Is this positive news?   Inflows suggest liquidity is low i.e. Bitcoin is not coming on to the exchange for sale but rather going to wallets?  Am I on the right track?

Yes. Less for sale, increasing demand. Price rises. 

HOLA4422
44 minutes ago, Buffer Bear said:

Is this positive news?   Inflows suggest liquidity is low i.e. Bitcoin is not coming on to the exchange for sale but rather going to wallets?  Am I on the right track?

As an aside, this may support the above.  993 BTC! 🤑

Yes remember in this cycle that only 901.44 fresh Bitcoins are minted each day. With institutions in a mad scramble to play catch up with the cypherpunks and retail who front ran them, we are witnessing a liquidity crisis. i.e They are not printing enough Bitcoins. Think this is crazy just wait until hyperbitcoinization. It’s coming. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA4423
7 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

Yes, with some caveats. The cpu won’t generate much, and I doubt the gpu will either but technically possible - sure. With that having integrated vega graphics it depends on how much effective VRAM is allocated, but it should work. Try it 🤷🏻‍♀️

More to the point who do you have to kill these days to get a graphics card. I've been looking for a Nvidia one for weeks and there aren't any available anywhere, apart from paying over the odds for a used one on ebay.

HOLA4424
35 minutes ago, Glenn said:

More to the point who do you have to kill these days to get a graphics card. I've been looking for a Nvidia one for weeks and there aren't any available anywhere, apart from paying over the odds for a used one on ebay.

Yeah, It was a full time job to get mine in nov/dec.  I was building 3 gaming PCs for me and the kids and spent days on discord waiting for alerts, constantly refreshing Amazon warehouse and waiting and waiting for nvidia and scan to drop some.

in the end i got everything I sort of wanted at rrp or less - but it wasn’t just graphics cards and I made compromises. I wanted a 3080 founders, didn’t manage it so ‘settled’ for a 3070. And as for cpus - I wanted a 5900x - forget it - so I got a second hand 3900x.

my advice - wait, unless you enjoy spending your life on discord.

Oh and get whatever you can. I passed up getting a 3090 founders at rrp and I regret it now. I should have just gone for that.

edit - the other option is to (spit) buy a whole prebuilt machine. Those are available, and actually not badly priced in some cases. 

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4425