House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Almost took out the ATH close but not quite there. 

3rd time lucky. Once we punch through, all cards are off the table as to how high this goes this halvening.

One thing we know is that we are close to declaring that every single person who bought Bitcoin and held is in profit. Every single one. What a time to be alive, watching a new asset-class for the masses. 

1837989891_ScreenShot2020-11-30at6_50_17PM.thumb.png.5fa233431caa8b8473be343f3266723b.png

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch

HOLA444
HOLA445

How much world energy goes into creating/storing these coins?

lots, but it is mostly from renewables like Hydro and solar, the less the cost of leccy, the more profit for the miners and leccy is often the biggest cost. But Bitcoin alone i think uses more leccy than a lot of 3rd world countries. 

It's ok, we can afford it.

HOLA446

How much world energy goes into creating/storing these coins?

It will cost energy to secure the world's most secure financial network but it's mostly renewable now:

Report: 76% crypto miners use renewables as part of their energy mix

https://cointelegraph.com/news/report-76-crypto-miners-use-renewables-as-part-of-their-energy-mix

HOLA447

lots, but it is mostly from renewables like Hydro and solar, the less the cost of leccy, the more profit for the miners and leccy is often the biggest cost. But Bitcoin alone i think uses more leccy than a lot of 3rd world countries. 

It's ok, we can afford it.

How is it mostly renewables? Surely the majority of the world (and the majority of coins mined so far) have used traditional energy sources for power? Green energy only became cheaper here fairly recently. 

That aside, can they be stored without using energy or will they always require power to exist? Sorry if this is obvious but I don’t quite understand how creating a continuous draw on world resources would be a good thing.

Edited by PeanutButter

HOLA448
HOLA449

You do realize that 88% of bitcoins have already been mined?

The remaining 12% will be mined over the next 120 years....

You can worry about "saving the world", and other such BS...

I'll concentrate on getting rich, thanks

The very last Bitcoin will take 40 years to mine. So all hodlers need to remember just how precious it will be just to own 1 if it takes 40 years of the worlds computational power just to generate that wealth of a single Bitcoin. 

HOLA4410

The very last Bitcoin will take 40 years to mine. So all hodlers need to remember just how precious it will be just to own 1 if it takes 40 years of the worlds computational power just to generate that wealth of a single Bitcoin. 

Couldn't the last coins equally become stranded assets, too expensive to mine for it to be worth it. 

HOLA4411

That aside, can they be stored without using energy or will they always require power to exist? Sorry if this is obvious but I don’t quite understand how creating a continuous draw on world resources would be a good thing.

The energy use is constant as it takes energy to mine every block. Only miners expend energy though, if you merely hold bitcoin in a wallet the energy cost to you is zero.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You do realize that 88% of bitcoins have already been mined?

The remaining 12% will be mined over the next 120 years....

You can worry about "saving the world", and other such BS...

I'll concentrate on getting rich, thanks

Calm down, you react hysterically to some simple questions. You’re holding an asset, not a new born child.

The energy use is constant as it takes energy to mine every block. Only miners expend energy though, if you merely hold bitcoin in a wallet the energy cost to you is zero.

Just googled and this came up https://www.vox.com/2019/6/18/18642645/bitcoin-energy-price-renewable-china

It seems the energy question is complicated. But as ever, profits come before everything.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

image.thumb.png.1fb02e9f33fd90474fb74622949570f1.png

Good luck. But $22.7 to $14 is possible i agree, a 40% pullback, not unusual in a Bitcoin bull market. But i think once we break $20k the move will be much bigger than $2.7k before a big pull back. We would be looking at a $10k move before a 30-40% pullback.