House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Newsnight, Hackers And The Mod

Newsnight just did an item about the MOD looking to create a 'Hacker Reserve' because the UK needs IT gurus to defend and deter (attack) our enemies.

Paxman is talking with the Defence Sec now about whether such people will need to wear a uniform or have a haircut... and the programme raised the question of whether they would hire convicted ex-hackers.

What was disturbing to me though, and why I am posting this, is that the item had inserts short in our hacker HQ - which basically appeared to be a large white bland room full of tables, chairs, computers and a handful of military types with their neat haircuts and stiffly ironed shirts sat staring at desks.

Then they interviewed the Colonel in charge.

Boy, it looked dull and boring. I mean, it looked one of the most boring and uncreative IT environments I have ever seen.

They ain't going to attract the clever boys and girls to work in THAT environment IMPO!

Newsnight just did an item about the MOD looking to create a 'Hacker Reserve' because the UK needs IT gurus to defend and deter (attack) our enemies.

Paxman is talking with the Defence Sec now about whether such people will need to wear a uniform or have a haircut... and the programme raised the question of whether they would hire convicted ex-hackers.

What was disturbing to me though, and why I am posting this, is that the item had inserts short in our hacker HQ - which basically appeared to be a large white bland room full of tables, chairs, computers and a handful of military types with their neat haircuts and stiffly ironed shirts sat staring at desks.

Boy, it looked dull and boring. I mean, it looked one of the most boring and uncreative IT environments I have ever seen.

They ain't going to attract the clever boys and girls to work in THAT environment IMPO!

I get your point though. But they probably want reliable dullards, not the 'creative' sociopath narcissists who probably work for apple or google.

Deter our enemies?! These wouldn't be the very same guys who are building our nuke plants, would they? :lol:

I get your point though. But they probably want reliable dullards, not the 'creative' sociopath narcissists who probably work for apple or google.

Yeah, but the creative sociopath narcissists wear trainers and jeans and drink bottled mineral water... and have slides and bouncy castles in their offices.

Seriously, if what they showed on Newsnight is our first, best and last line of cyber defence then we are seriously fecked.

Seriously, if what they showed on Newsnight is our first, best and last line of cyber defence then we are seriously fecked.

'If' being the operative word.

Newsnight, providing intellectual hand jobs to the slightly more concerned than average masses since 1980.

Here's a picture of the massively under-resourced, slightly cack-handed, twenty years behind the times GCHQ...

2ji7vm.jpg

**** knows how many floors down it goes.

edit: and on the subject of big car parks, the NSA's Meade Operations Centre...

rtg5js.jpg

It's worth remembering maybe that Britain arguably had the most effective and devious code-breaking, propaganda and departments of dirty tricks in both WW1 and WW2. It also managed to disengage itself from its overseas colonies post-WW2 without much of the unpleasantness other colonial powers endured; assisted by its skill in counter-insurgency, irregular warfare and playing sides off each other.

Britain never had all that mighty an army. Asymmetrical warfare and acting the duffer has long been a British speciality.

'If' being the operative word.

Newsnight, providing intellectual hand jobs to the slightly more concerned than average masses since 1980.

Here's a picture of the massively under-resourced, slightly cack-handed, twenty years behind the times GCHQ...

2ji7vm.jpg

**** knows how many floors down it goes.

edit: and on the subject of big car parks, the NSA's Meade Operations Centre...

rtg5js.jpg

Ome looks like a giant trackball with no ball!

The other reminds me of some Prophet's tomb.

Strange symbolism again? :huh:

NO, they are not! :blink::lol:

Ome looks like a giant trackball with no ball!

The other reminds me of some Prophet's tomb.

Strange symbolism again? :huh:

MI6 HQ Mr Pin...

1zptfnn.jpg

An echo of the owl motif maybe? Or possibly a Transformer? I haven't quite decided.

A couple more in a mo'...

Well, Buck Ho reminds me of the front of a V8, with the alternator at the top.

A giant octopus in Trafalgar Square? But at least the Admiralty seems to have a firm grip on one leg, so we are safe. :huh:

Well, Buck Ho reminds me of the front of a V8, with the alternator at the top.

A giant octopus in Trafalgar Square?

That is one of the more entertaining aspects of symbolism.

I believe that it has occasionally been referred to as the Problem of (artistic) Intent.

For example, I believe the following songs are about w@nking (my third reference to onanism on this thread, yay)...

Pictures of Lily

Whip It

Teenage Kicks

Turning Japanese

Rocket Man

Pump It Up

Shock the Monkey

whereas the song-writers insist that they're not.

I'm quietly confident I'm right though.

That is one of the more entertaining aspects of symbolism.

I believe that it has occasionally been referred to as the Problem of (artistic) Intent.

For example, I believe the following songs are about w@nking (my third reference to onanism on this thread, yay)...

Pictures of Lily

Whip It

Teenage Kicks

Turning Japanese

Rocket Man

Pump It Up

Shock the Monkey

whereas the song-writers insist that they're not.

I'm quietly confident I'm right though.

Arrogant tossers

Buck House...

2n8bko5.jpgb

Trafalgar Square...

2lxb4vc.jpg

I won't suggest what symbolic motifs I think they resemble. That would be cheating.

Denver airport - I'll let you google the wall paintings inside the terminals yourself.

1024px-Denver_airport_USGA_2002_mod.jpg

Is GCHQ a massive flux capacitor ?

No, a massive waste of money! A lot of people here, I reckon, could "crack" something, given enough hardware and a solid internet connection! :blink:

No, a massive waste of money! A lot of people here, I reckon, could "crack" something, given enough hardware and a solid internet connection! :blink:

And a never ending supply of Kleenex