House Price Crash Forum
davidg

Bullshït Jobs

bullsh%69t-jobs

While corporations may engage in ruthless downsizing, the layoffs and speed-ups invariably fall on that class of people who are actually making, moving, fixing and maintaining things; through some strange alchemy no one can quite explain, the number of salaried paper-pushers ultimately seems to expand, and more and more employees find themselves, not unlike Soviet workers actually, working 40 or even 50 hour weeks on paper, but effectively working 15 hours just as Keynes predicted, since the rest of their time is spent organising or attending motivational seminars, updating their facebook profiles or downloading TV box-sets.
Edited by davidg

The link won't work as it contains a swear word and the forum has replaced it. As suggested search for '$hit jobs' replacing the '$' with an 's' when you search.

A fantastic article, one of the best I have read in a long time. I get the impression that the human race is very, very confused!

Edited by doahh

I often think an interesting test in how much a job is BS, or not, is if you took the government, corporations and all their regulations away whether anyone would phone you up wanting to pay for your 'skills' on a self-employed basis.

Edit to add: I don't think that many, particularly graduates, don't employ some kind of self-delusion their job has purpose. People just don't cope well without believing, on some level, they have it. Even government make work schemes digging holes and filling them up would really need to pay a different set of workers, ignorant to the origins of the holes, to fill them up.

I think it would persist even with benefits recipients. I suspect, some perfectly able to work ones, would pass a polygraph test that they had some ailment. I would think it's very uncommon for them, even amongst themselves privately, to say they don't work because they're just too lazy.

Edited by SNACR

I often think an interesting test in how much a job is BS, or not, is if you took the government, corporations and all their regulations away whether anyone would phone you up wanting to pay for your 'skills' on a self-employed basis.

Edit to add: I don't think that many, particularly graduates, don't employ some kind of self-delusion their job has purpose. People just don't cope well without believing, on some level, they have it. Even government make work schemes digging holes and filling them up would really need to pay a different set of workers, ignorant to the origins of the holes, to fill them up.

I think it would persist even with benefits recipients. I suspect, some perfectly able to work ones, would pass a polygraph test that they had some ailment. I would think it's very uncommon for them, even amongst themselves privately, to say they don't work because they're just too lazy.

No.

There are lots of jobs where the hours in the day are filled with wasted time.....time that could be made more productive like doing stuff at home such as baking a cake or washing the car or helping with your kids......you could say zero hour contracts makes use of employment in a better more efficient way, the hours are not wasted only the work that is needed is used and paid for.....another good thing about them is it should work both ways when an employee requests time off they can get it with out fuss, more in control of your own time......it is only the rate of pay that should be adjusted.......but most people would prefer to spend wasted time without work to do, sitting doing nothing useful in return for sick pay and other benefits and the security of a fixed sum of money at the end of the month knowing they may have been at work but not always working, and anyway life and the regular bills we all have mean we have a budget to adhere to and a regular salary is part of that.

The best bosses are the ones who say this is what needs to be done today, when you have done it to a good standard, ie met or exceeded your target you are free to go home........and no, doesn't land the efficient people with more work because they are good, they pay them a better rate of pay if they are good. ;)

Strangely I had a thought along similar lines last night.

Out of al the people in my circle of friends, I'm the only one who actually makes anything physical, the rest are middlemen, or worse, public sector workers.

The rest are accountants, solicitors, drivers, teachers, agents of some description and even in in advertising.

I'm getting some new friends :lol:

Out of al the people in my circle of friends, I'm the only one who actually makes anything physical, the rest are middlemen, or worse, public sector workers.

The rest are accountants, solicitors, drivers, teachers, agents of some description and even in in advertising.

All this means is that you're just one of the later links in the chain. If you think about it your role would be largely defunt without people working in all of the other fields you mention.

In a modern economy I'd like to see anyone make anything physical where an accountant hasn't first costed the process. Where a legal entity hasn't defined the contract. Where a driver hasn't delivered the raw materials. Where a teacher hasn't educated everyone participating. Where someone in marketing hasn't sold the product.

Something that's physically intangible still has value often moreso hence why so much of the actual physical 'making stuff' has been offshored to China.

All this means is that you're just one of the later links in the chain. If you think about it your role would be largely defunt without people working in all of the other fields you mention.

Yeah, that's what they like to think...that;s total B.S. though. They are effectively living off my back. I would exist more happily without then because prices would be lower, taxes would be lower and society better.

The only one I might remotely need would be a teacher, but with the savings made by removing leeches from work force I'd be able afford to send kids to a decent school or my choosing.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Real, productive workers are relentlessly squeezed and exploited. The remainder are divided between a terrorised stratum of the, universally reviled, unemployed and a larger stratum who are basically paid to do nothing, in positions designed to make them identify with the perspectives and sensibilities of the ruling class (managers, administrators, etc) – and particularly its financial avatars – but, at the same time, foster a simmering resentment against anyone whose work has clear and undeniable social value.

Excellent summary.

I worked in 3 factories making stuff in Northampton in the 90's - L&H Polymer in Billing (gap year) where I ran a plastics press, a heating place at Sixfields (summer job) where I wired up storage heaters, and a place up on Lodge Farm (summer job) making alloy car parts.

All 3 are gone now. There can't be that many true manufacturing jobs left in this area.

I worked in 3 factories making stuff in Northampton in the 90's - L&H Polymer in Billing (gap year) where I ran a plastics press, a heating place at Sixfields (summer job) where I wired up storage heaters, and a place up on Lodge Farm (summer job) making alloy car parts.

All 3 are gone now. There can't be that many true manufacturing jobs left in this area.

Sadly that's true and probably why everyone I know is actually employed is 'middle men' type jobs.

It's no coincidence that China is now an economic power house and we are a nation of middle men grasping at every chance to make some free money.

The thing is, that money aint free...there is ALWAYS a price to pay.

Sadly that's true and probably why everyone I know is actually employed is 'middle men' type jobs.

It's no coincidence that China is now an economic power house and we are a nation of middle men grasping at every chance to make some free money.

The thing is, that money aint free...there is ALWAYS a price to pay.

Have to agree with you, the rise in numbers of 'middle men jobs'....the stuffing that takes a fee to place a with b....this makes everything so much more costly and expensive for all.....when a can deal directly with b ....agents and middle managers no longer required.....technology can only help with this, technology is already helping with this.......in the future we will be working less because fewer hours will be required. ;)

Yeah, that's what they like to think...that;s total B.S. though. They are effectively living off my back. I would exist more happily without then because prices would be lower, taxes would be lower and society better.

The only one I might remotely need would be a teacher, but with the savings made by removing leeches from work force I'd be able afford to send kids to a decent school or my choosing.

so what would happen when you make a bunch of stuff and joe bloggs just refuses to pay you. I can imagine then you might have to employ some heavies to encourage them to pay up. After this happens a few times you might think why don't I get them to sign a document agreeing to pay, and if they don't the heavies will come round. Eventually everyone will be doing this and we would need some kind of professionals doing this all day - perhaps we could call them lawyers and policeman?

so what would happen when you make a bunch of stuff and joe bloggs just refuses to pay you. I can imagine then you might have to employ some heavies to encourage them to pay up. After this happens a few times you might think why don't I get them to sign a document agreeing to pay, and if they don't the heavies will come round. Eventually everyone will be doing this and we would need some kind of professionals doing this all day - perhaps we could call them lawyers and policeman?

COD. ;)

COD. ;)

people buying large quantities might not want to keep cash - after all in this utopia who is going to stop people just killing you and taking it?

Brilliant..>Are you a solicitor ?

Cash up front would solve that issue...but but but we need banks to give us credit....errr...the banks credit system has destroyed the country.

Brilliant..>Are you a solicitor ?

Cash up front would solve that issue...but but but we need banks to give us credit....errr...the banks credit system has destroyed the country.

...and the richest companies are often the exact ones that take the longest to pay their debts....thus forcing more debt on those that can least afford it. ;)

Please tell me that you don't actually believe that? There's so many holes in your logic that I don't even know where to begin. In fact, I won't :lol:

I vaguely remember some bloke stood outside Longbridge broadcasting a similar mantra. They did a follow up interview with him 10yrs later (still unemployed) outside the gates of the derelict site.

Please tell me that you don't actually believe that? There's so many holes in your logic that I don't even know where to begin. In fact, I won't :lol:

I vaguely remember some bloke stood outside Longbridge broadcasting a similar mantra. They did a follow up interview with him 10yrs later (still unemployed) outside the gates of the derelict site.

It's a generalisation....they are living off societies back. I can accept a country needs a small service industry but when that service industry becomes the main industry of the country....you have a problem....WE have a problem.

I was working for the local council many moons ago, my first task to dispose of a lot of old paperwork, freeing up the ring binder folders.

They then said to me, we need you to gather information on financial/asset data (can't remember the specifics), once you have, print it out and fill up the ring binders, this is a really important task because the councillors refer to this information. It took me weeks to do.

Over a year later, we had a new member of staff starting, their first task to dispose of a lot of old paperwork, freeing up ring binder folders... any guesses on what their second task was?!

I'd been sitting next to those folders even since I created them... and not one person had referred to them.

That's why I left that job, I realised almost all of what I was doing was pointless, unproductive and a waste of time.