House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Week In Liverpool

The London thread, and the fact that the friendly folks at HPC have been very helpful with travel plans in the past, inspired me to put a similar one up about Liverpool.

I'll be staying there for 4 nights next month in a hotel in Vernon Street, which I believe is fairly central.

First time I've been there; travelling alone and would appreciate any recommendations of what to see while I'm over there; I'll be doing some research before going over there of what the sights are, but I imagine the HPC hive mind can tell me about things that aren't in the guide books.

Also, it's been a while and I'd quite like a shag, so if anyone knows any bars that are particularly fruitful in that regard, feel free to let me know laugh.gif

Plenty to see...

Albert Dock for museums including maritime museum, Liverpool life... Tate gallery if you are into art.

Over at the Pier Head take a cruise up the Mersey - great views and you'll see some ships (you can use an all region Travel card about £4.70, but you need to break your journey at the other side). [Main Zone card is about £3.70? Google Mersey Travel].

Beatles things, Mathew Street (John Lennon statue), the Beatles museum is at the Albert Dock. There will be bus tours.

Across the water... a trip to New Brighton is nice - used to walk it as a kid from Seacombe ferry terminal. U-Boat museum at Birkenhead, I think.

Plenty of nightlife, depends what you like.

Also, it's been a while and I'd quite like a shag, so if anyone knows any bars that are particularly fruitful in that regard, feel free to let me know laugh.gif

Reminds me of the first lady from Liverpool I ever met. She looked at me and within 30 seconds her first words to me were "Do you fancy a shag?".

I didn't know what to do or where to look as I was young and innocent then.

Reminds me of the first lady from Liverpool I ever met. She looked at me and within 30 seconds her first words to me were "Do you fancy a shag?".

Do you have her phone number? ;)

Not like Geordie women then? They don't even ask.

Bet you did though! :huh:

Both cathedrals are worth a look, especially if the weather's nice as you can go up the Anglican one to the roof and the sun makes the stained glass in both come to life.

Leaf tea rooms on Bold St is worth look for light bites/tea/pint. Camp and Furnace is apparently excellent but I've not been yet.

Zorba's greek restaraunt by the bombed out church is pretty good value imo. For more expensive dining but excellent in my experience try The Side Door near the Catholic cathedral.

Loads of good pubs, if you like an traditional joint try the Roscoe Head also near the bombed out church. Pokey and a good selection usually.

Pub near the docks called the Baltic something or other, microbrewery on site- excellent.

The London thread, and the fact that the friendly folks at HPC have been very helpful with travel plans in the past, inspired me to put a similar one up about Liverpool.

I'll be staying there for 4 nights next month in a hotel in Vernon Street, which I believe is fairly central.

First time I've been there; travelling alone and would appreciate any recommendations of what to see while I'm over there; I'll be doing some research before going over there of what the sights are, but I imagine the HPC hive mind can tell me about things that aren't in the guide books.

Well it's been more than a decade since I left Liverpool, but I guess that the Cabin and the Blue Angel/The Razz are still part of the scene - good down-to-earth cheap-and-cheerful clubs for a good night out. Good pulling joints; even when giving out "I've got a GF so FO" vibes girls would give me the eye in the Razz.

Maybe someone local could fill in the details, but I believe that the Cabin has gone mainstream and now actually has a nameplate (it used to be a plain door on an unmarked building, with the weirdest dancefloor that was part metal sheeting/part concrete).

Wife and I did a Tuesday night in Liverpool in February for no better reason than that I fancied a ride on a Pendolino, and found that Megatrain were doing tickets for £7 per person each way- with the return trip from Liverpool setting off half an hour before the outward trip from London! :rolleyes: A £19 room at Travelodge was the solution to that particular problem. The weather was awful on the day we arrived so having fought our way down to Pierhead in the teeth of a howling gale to see the 'Three Graces' we quickly sought refuge in the Liverpool Museum which had been so roundly decried by Piloti in the Private Eye. It was O.K. Then we had a wander round the Albert Dock, and did a pub crawl punctuated with dinner in Pizza Express- there are three, we chose the one that's in a former bank building, it's nice.

In the morning the weather was much nicer so we had another walk down- the Liver Building in particular is quite spectacular set against a clear blue sky.

Edit: the meat-market pub-clubs are in the vicinity of Victoria Street / Matthew St IIRC- completely dead on a February weekday, so two married Londoners managed to get a tedious pint completely unscathed; my previous visit to Liverpool was with my bi mate, visiting his gay friend, so naturally we skipped those in favour of an unadvertised door-off-an-alley gay joint with loadsapoppers behind the bar! :D

I spent my first drunken 30 years there and I never knew this existed but intend to go next time I am up there for a funeral.

http://www.williamsontunnels.co.uk/view.php?page=about

Basically some rich nutter had people digging tunnels everywhere for no reason.

If you fancy something a bit different one day to The Beatles and the sluts....

The Arena usually has something on too:

http://www.echoarena.com/whats_on/index.asp?venue=All+Venues&whatson=All+Events&month=Nov+13&go.x=58&go.y=8