House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Can Everyone Work?

In short, some people can't work for reasonable causes, and mainly because we have an advanced economy that has little productive use to someone with very limited abilities

How you discriminate between the workshy and the genuinely unable to work is a tricky question however

What I always think in these cases is "Yes, he is a bit of a waster but it's rather pointless repeatedly instructing him to get a job when there are at least a million, probably two million able-bodied, fit, motivated poverty-stricken unemployed who are absolutely desperate to find work". Once they've all been sorted out, then we can turn our attention to the feckless.

The disabled guy did loose a leg due to heroine addiction. Not exactly helped his life chances very much.

I think the Tory was trying to be helpful but must have known how his comments would get reported you would have thought.

Edited by aSecureTenant

The disabled guy did loose a leg due to heroine addiction. Not exactly helped his life chances very much.

I think the Tory was trying to be helpful but must have known how his comments would get reported you would have thought.

That's right, he's a mess, but see my post above.

This is very similar to the currently running thread about the businessman unable to find fifty people to work a night shift at four hours' notice. The "ordinary hardworking people" so often referred to in Tory soundbites are suffering right now and these stories are designed to plant the seed of thought that if you are in a frightening financial position, you should look down the ladder for the root cause of it, rather that looking up it.

Misdirection, I believe a magician would call it.

Spiteful, more like! Surely he could have offered a job in his office? You can make tea and file things, even with one leg :blink:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/21/one-legged-beggar-names-and-shames-tory-mp-who-told-him-to-get-a-job-4154770/

I can’t get a job. I can barely read and write. Look at me, I am missing a leg

Everyone can work if the proceeds of producing and selling goods and services are shared in such a way that enough money goes into wages for the people who produce the goods and services to live on. If fewer resources are required to produce the same then that could mean that the same number of people can be employed working less hours, or that fewer people are employed being paid more or that fewer people are employed being paid the same or less. The UK chooses the third option.

Edited by campervanman

I've been addicted to Xena The Warrior Princess and Buffy The Vampire Slayer - didn't lose a leg from it though. :huh:

I've been addicted to Xena The Warrior Princess and Buffy The Vampire Slayer - didn't lose a leg from it though. :huh:

I can see what it's done tto your eyesight though!

Tony Hawkes does look rather down in the dumps these days, maybe he can sing one of his old songs to cheer himself up :)

ad_117787842.jpg?w=650&h=974&crop=1#038;h=1000

Everyone can work if the proceeds of producing and selling goods and services are shared in such a way that enough money goes into wages for the people who produce the goods and services to live on.

Exactly that.

Tony Hawkes does look rather down in the dumps these days, maybe he can sing one of his old songs to cheer himself up :)

It certainly looks like the end of his skateboarding career, in any case.

How you discriminate between the workshy and the genuinely unable to work is a tricky question however

We are all workshy- that's why you have to pay people to do it.

What you mean is how do we distinguish between those unable to work and those who cannot command enough pay to find work worthwhile compared to benefits.

Ironically the state is now in competition with itself in this respect- even as it seeks to make a life on benefits less attractive it undermines the legal protections of the workforce making low skilled work even less attractive. :lol:

Let's face it- the time is coming when the regular hours and predictable income of a workfare scheme will look positively enticing compared to the life of an agency rat on a zero hours contract.

It certainly looks like the end of his skateboarding career, in any case.

I was confused for years thinking why was the bloke who did "Stutter Rap" into skateboarding!

Everybody can work....not everybody can work for money, money is not the only remuneration for people's hard work....never has been, never will be. ;)

Citizen's income (CI).

He gets a low income, can do what he wants with it as long as no harm to others.

Others will choose to top up with work.

If income tax / NI tax replaced by Land Valuation Tax, people doing the work get the reward.

Easier to take ad-hoc work with CI - no coming off/on benefits, waiting for a time, coming back on with worse terms.

But I believe something like a third of people in the UK are of little benefit to an employer (or their own family!).

It's the nature of work - so much of it depends on the people being keen, skilled, certified and above average.

CI would allow SOME of the third to take cash in hand casual/odd jobs, gardening, simple warehouse / retail etc easier as and when they please, with no worry about losing benefits.

But even in these jobs, you need to know what a weed is, have some skills / be presentable, be interested in doing it.

In previous ages, people starved, had violence used to compel them. I don't want that.

I'd rather they lived on a basic CI, some of them just until they wake up.

I've known a few people who spent years smoking dope and drinking, hanging around and then suddenly got up and out.

They got a trade, education etc.

No idea what changed in them. Generally happier after - but they needed that time seemingly.

he looks like a tough guy. he can re-train to be a drone pilot. should not have any issues with the post-traumatic stress if he bombs a wedding for mistake ...

Who says people in a wheelchair can't work?

Nobody! I know somebody in a wheelchair that holds down a very good job. All that is required is a big parking space for the van, and a ground floor desk, with easy access to the loo! But that bloke shown is an extreme example! And that's why it is "news", if it is news at all!

It's not "news" is it? It's sensationalism! :blink: