House Price Crash Forum

Market Definitely Picked Up Where I Live

Makes perfect sense. I have been looking at East / West Molesey at the moment, as I am priced out of the better parts of Kingston / Surbiton. The difference in price between these two areas has gone down dramatically in recent years, and the decent (well-priced) properties certainly seem to be moving pretty quickly.

I would be interested to know what you think of the area? It looks great to me, near to the river and plenty of open space with the only downside being the poor train service from Hampton Court.

Well I am glad someone who knows the area believes me.

To answer your question, the area is great but you have to be careful about where you go.

Hurst Park and anything around new road is great as close to the thames and close to the good schools.

Anything below walton road is to avoid (high street, First Avenue with the flat roof houses). The schools there are not good and there's a lot of concil, ex-concil houses. I'd advise you to check upmystreet.com for any street you view as I found it to be very acurate as far as what is there.

Hurst Road is a bit noisy but close to the thames, Walton road is alright (traffic is slowed down there) and the closer to east molesey you get, the better but the higher the prices.

a new Tesco has been build there which has definitely added value to the area, the surgeries (wine medical centre in particular) are great and I have never had to wait for more than 1 day to get an appointment. It is part of Kingston Hospital which has great reputation. we had our baby there and they were great.

As for the train service from Hampton court, there are plans to make it better as more and more people working in London are coming towards there. If you look near the station, they are building some flats there and that will be for commuters. The best when commuting to London (I did it for 3 years) is to take the train up to Surbiton and then change for a fast train into London. That will take you around 25 minutes.

Good luck and thanks for supporting me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it took them a lot longer than that as most of them had been on the market for a while when I visited them. What I meant was that they all sold in the last 3-4 weeks, nothing about how long they've been on the market

I was actually answering someone else (in my own ironic way) who was accusing you of lying. I was pointing out that your first post could have been part of the decision making process to sell & now you have a buyer.

So for some posters, you may need to explain why you said you had a flat, now a house, before you couldn't convince your girlfriend to sell, now you're selling suddenly.

These people are paranoid, you have to explain everything to be believed.

These people are paranoid, you have to explain everything to be believed.

These people are not paranoid, TTRTT! If someone keeps saying 'I live in a house' and then several times refers to selling the flat they live in it looks very much like they're lying. I've never accused anyone else on this forum of lying before but this was really very obvious. I don't like being lied to. I similarly disapprove, by the way, of HPCers going onto other forums and lying there. It's a comprehensively crap thing to do.

<_<

I find that rather difficult to believe having just looked up West Molesey on RM. Seems to be an awful lot properties for sale there. Panic selling some might say...

Undecided, care to give details of the 14 properties that you visited?

You really must think that people on here are as stupid as yourself...

LL, give Undecided a slap as I know it's sitting right next to you. :lol:

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=153259

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...t=prop&pid=8280

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=344347

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=254306

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=392170

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=203862

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=153290

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=203814

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=344390

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=212275

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=153341

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/agent.aspx?...prop&pid=335450

There are two I can't find anymore, I'd need to look again when I have more time.

But,as usual, most of you will say that I just picked them at random.

Why don't you phone the estate agents and ask them when they sold as some of you have nothing more to do that worry about my use of house or flat !

Well, it has never happened before and history does tend to repeat itself.

However, if you use your argument, and if no-one wants to buy - this will mean that they............rent.

Which is good news to anyone renting out properties.

Sorry London Landlady, what is it that has never happened before?

Are you saying the market has never bottomed before or that when the market has bottomed before people FLOODED back in to buy so it never happened that people were put off buying property at the bottom of the market?

Last time around (using the 'real' value of London houses based on Nationwide quarterly data deflated by RPI) the peak was in Q3 1988.

A £1,000 (real terms) investment in London property at 30/9/1988 fell in value (in real terms) to £540 by 31/3/1996 (that is, almost half of the wealth tied up in London property was wiped out over this seven-and-a-half-year period). But you could have bought for less than £600 any time fron 30/9/1992 through to 30/9/1996 (four solid years).

In fact, you could have bought at less than 5% away from the ultimate low (in real terms) for an entire three-year period. I can only assume you were not active in the London property market back in 1993/4/5 if you believe people were desperately buying up "cheap" property. I remember being very well aware at that time that people did not want to touch property.

As for your "renting" argument, we seem to have found ourselves back at the same argument you couldn't stand up the last time around. I am already renting, if I don't want to buy how does that provide any extra support for the market?

I'm still waiting for you to logically explain why people not buying will provide support for landlords (other than what is already there).

we had 10 viewings and 2 offers last friday, one fomr a FTB, one from someone buying for his daughter. They offered at 170k, less than 3% below asking which we were happy to accept.

so you haven't sold it yet then. you have accepted an offer. didn't your friend "the estate agent" explain the difference? ...

These people are not paranoid, TTRTT! If someone keeps saying 'I live in a house' and then several times refers to selling the flat they live in it looks very much like they're lying. I've never accused anyone else on this forum of lying before but this was really very obvious. I don't like being lied to. I similarly disapprove, by the way, of HPCers going onto other forums and lying there. It's a comprehensively crap thing to do.

<_<

I am very sorry I am creating so much craziness. Would that help If I tell you that English is not my first language. I meant home when I used house but I am sure that you are not going to make this mistake if I ask you to tell me this in French, Spanish or German.

I am glad people worry about such important things in life as the calling of a home.

Well I am glad someone who knows the area believes me.

To answer your question, the area is great but you have to be careful about where you go.

Hurst Park and anything around new road is great as close to the thames and close to the good schools.

Anything below walton road is to avoid (high street, First Avenue with the flat roof houses). The schools there are not good and there's a lot of concil, ex-concil houses. I'd advise you to check upmystreet.com for any street you view as I found it to be very acurate as far as what is there.

Hurst Road is a bit noisy but close to the thames, Walton road is alright (traffic is slowed down there) and the closer to east molesey you get, the better but the higher the prices.

a new Tesco has been build there which has definitely added value to the area, the surgeries (wine medical centre in particular) are great and I have never had to wait for more than 1 day to get an appointment. It is part of Kingston Hospital which has great reputation. we had our baby there and they were great.

As for the train service from Hampton court, there are plans to make it better as more and more people working in London are coming towards there. If you look near the station, they are building some flats there and that will be for commuters. The best when commuting to London (I did it for 3 years) is to take the train up to Surbiton and then change for a fast train into London. That will take you around 25 minutes.

Good luck and thanks for supporting me.

Thanks for the info. The area looks of interest and is certainly a whole lot cheaper than Surbiton!

I am very sorry I am creating so much craziness. Would that help If I tell you that English is not my first language. I meant home when I used house but I am sure that you are not going to make this mistake if I ask you to tell me this in French, Spanish or German.

I am glad people worry about such important things in life as the calling of a home.

Undecided,

Can I ask you to go a little easy on such over-excited responses - it's just that a LOT of tedious people from websites like Singing Pig do come over here to post rubbish that doesn't actually hold up to scrutiny (so when someone sees you posting about your house and then sees you change you mind to a flat they think it is just yet another wind up).

I hope you'll stay and make your opinion known (and be prepared to argue/back them up - as you seem entirely happy to do and capable of doing).

Are you saying the market has never bottomed before or that when the market has bottomed before people FLOODED back in to buy so it never happened that people were put off buying property at the bottom of the market?

Last time around (using the 'real' value of London houses based on Nationwide quarterly data deflated by RPI) the peak was in Q3 1988.

A £1,000 (real terms) investment in London property at 30/9/1988 fell in value (in real terms) to £540 by 31/3/1996 (that is, almost half of the wealth tied up in London property was wiped out over this seven-and-a-half-year period). But you could have bought for less than £600 any time fron 30/9/1992 through to 30/9/1996 (four solid years).

In fact, you could have bought at less than 5% away from the ultimate low (in real terms) for an entire three-year period. I can only assume you were not active in the London property market back in 1993/4/5 if you believe people were desperately buying up "cheap" property. I remember being very well aware at that time that people did not want to touch property.

As for your "renting" argument, we seem to have found ourselves back at the same argument you couldn't stand up the last time around. I am already renting, if I don't want to buy how does that provide any extra support for the market?

I'm still waiting for you to logically explain why people not buying will provide support for landlords (other than what is already there).

What will not happen is people not wanting to buy property.

Yes I was active in 95 - I viewed & offered on a property & exchanged in early 1996. My 1st BTL. The market was still a buyers market. I bought again in 1997 - prices had moved up and I bought again in 1999 again - market had moved again.

The properties people bought in 1988 did drop by 20% and then over the next 15 yeras went up by 200% - so not a bad investment even if they did buy at the peak of the market.

The argument for renting is that if FTB's do noy buy, the potential FTB population will increase - people live longer - immigration etc - so if FTB's don't buy, they will rent & there will be more of them to rent so demand will go up.

I find that rather difficult to believe having just looked up West Molesey on RM. Seems to be an awful lot properties for sale there. Panic selling some might say...

Undecided, care to give details of the 14 properties that you visited?

You really must think that people on here are as stupid as yourself...

LL, give Undecided a slap as I know it's sitting right next to you. :lol:

Whoops are u not in tune?

I've made many a bearish post this year but now I'm seeing (and have seen for a while) a far busier market. End of.

So, I am willing to adjust my view as the market changes, why are'nt you? Members might conclude you cant bare to face facts.

That just doesn't cut it - my job is knowing a second language and nobody who can write a foreign language as well as you write English would repeatedly mistake 'house' for 'flat' - it's impossible. And don't try to dismiss this as me being petty - the devil is always in the detail and the detail here says that you are quite simply a liar. :)

For every link you've plucked out, I can list 20 that haven't sold or more precisely, haven't even got Sale Agreed.

What's that tell you about the state of the market in West Molesley? Winter's here, is this really a sign of an imminent pickup in the market? Spring bounce may be or Spring precipice?

Looks like you guys are really in a lot of doo-doo. Wasting everyone's time on here ain't gonna make one jot of difference, so why you're bothering says it all IMO.

I looked up West Molesey on primelocation & there were 60 properties for sale 7 of which are under offer. I haven't counted the duplicate properties (on with more than 1 agent) - but unless you know how many properties were on 3 months ago it's not really relevant.

For every link you've plucked out, I can list 20 that haven't sold or more precisely, haven't even got Sale Agreed.

What's that tell you about the state of the market in West Molesley? Winter's here, is this really a sign of an imminent pickup in the market? Spring bounce may be or Spring precipice?

Looks like you guys are really in a lot of doo-doo. Wasting everyone's time on here ain't gonna make one jot of difference, so why you're bothering says it all IMO.

well, that' because you don't know the area and you don't know where the ones not selling are.

Look at how many town house style houses (70s) you can see for sale and how many are sold ( a few are overpriced I agree and not selling). They can easily be recognised to to the tiled walls and the large bay windows. These all are on a nice area close to the thames and the good school although, I must admit, the buildings themselves are ugly.

West Molesey is half private, half ex-concil or concil. You just have to know which end you want to be in and people wanting to buy will quickly figure that one out.

Very true. Glad you posted this as it's describing the nature of a cycle. The ftb masses weren't sitting tight with their borrowed money waiting to pounce at their perception of a bottomed out market.

Very true. Glad you posted this as it's describing the nature of a cycle. The ftb masses weren't sitting tight with their borrowed money waiting to pounce at their perception of a bottomed out market.

So when exactly did the FTB's get active last time round? was it in 94,95,96? prices were moving up & what did they do? I don't kknow as I wasn't an FTB then.

That just doesn't cut it - my job is knowing a second language and nobody who can write a foreign language as well as you write English would repeatedly mistake 'house' for 'flat' - it's impossible. And don't try to dismiss this as me being petty - the devil is always in the detail and the detail here says that you are quite simply a liar. :)

so be it, I am a liar and you are the truth of the world. I give up on you but please keep posting these interesting analysis.

To the contrary db. If you care to look at some of my previous posts, you'll realise that I've already stated that there was a pick up in the market following August's rate cut. However, this has subsequently translated into chains that are stuck and more a and more properties coming on to the market.

End of the day, all you have to do is type in West Molesley on RM. If you think now's the time to buy, then be my guest. And don't patronise me in future as I know a whole lot more about the state of the property market then you'll have hot dinners.

Want to know what the top developers in the country are thinking at Board level?

It's more than my job's worth to let the likes of you in on any secrets. Go on buy, make my day and don't come back here moaning when you've lost every penny that you've ever earnt either when it all goes horribly wrong.

If you can't see what the VIs are doing to that small brain of yours, then shut the fook up, you'e embarrassing yourself as usual...

I am intrigued by this response, as a very good friend of mine is a commercial architect and he told me that the big developers are actually dusting off schemes which were on hold & getting them going. He has never been busier.

What will not happen is people not wanting to buy property.

Yes I was active in 95 - I viewed & offered on a property & exchanged in early 1996. My 1st BTL. The market was still a buyers market. I bought again in 1997 - prices had moved up and I bought again in 1999 again - market had moved again.

The properties people bought in 1988 did drop by 20% and then over the next 15 yeras went up by 200% - so not a bad investment even if they did buy at the peak of the market.

The argument for renting is that if FTB's do noy buy, the potential FTB population will increase - people live longer - immigration etc - so if FTB's don't buy, they will rent & there will be more of them to rent so demand will go up.

So, you started to become active pretty much right at the bottom of the market - well done. My point is it had been a buyer's market for YEARS (even if you were busy doing something else). If you actually see a graph of average London property prices (nominal or real terms) there is an impressive trough... it was not a V-shaped recovery as you imply, people did not fill their boots, slowly over time the market recovered before it took off again. Potential buyers had YEARS to decide whether to buy again or not, you didn't need to time the bottom of the market to the nearest week.

That property bought in 1998 was a good investment long-term (if a crap investment for MANY years though) assuming you were able to ride through the downturn. Many were not able to.

Without wishing to bore you too much with stats, the real £1,000 was re-gained in Q2 2001 (nearly 13 years later- that is 0% real capital return over a 13-year period on an ungeared investment). There was a lot of inflation and other things that make the nominal investment look fantastic. I'd suggest you'd be unwise to rely on it happening again.

On the renting argument you are saying that the number of new renters/immigrants will exceed the number of people dying/emigrating. I believe the UK's demographics suggest there are more elderly heading off to meet their maker than newborns coming through (this has been true for some time) so it seems you are relying rather heavily on new rental demand from immigrants. This may come through... but I'd encourage you to consider the opposite side of the coin in terms of the impact all of these immigrants are going to have on the wage levels that underpin the ability to pay rents.

So when exactly did the FTB's get active last time round? was it in 94,95,96? prices were moving up & what did they do? I don't kknow as I wasn't an FTB then.

Well , after a 3 year slump previously ftb probably did start buying homes again in this period. This is before prices started to balloon and it became a speculative market.

That to me says it all really with regards to your sincerity. Does your Commercial Arch't friend sit on the Board of any of the top 5 UK Construction firms by chance?

PM me and I'll forward your regards to them if the answer is yes... B)

Unfortunately, if you are branded a Troll, you cannot use the PM service, or edit posts. or join in polls......................................................yawn.

To the contrary db. If you care to look at some of my previous posts, you'll realise that I've already stated that there was a pick up in the market following August's rate cut. However, this has subsequently translated into chains that are stuck and more a and more properties coming on to the market.

End of the day, all you have to do is type in West Molesley on RM. If you think now's the time to buy, then be my guest. And don't patronise me in future as I know a whole lot more about the state of the property market then you'll have hot dinners.

Want to know what the top developers in the country are thinking at Board level?

It's more than my job's worth to let the likes of you in on any secrets. Go on buy, make my day and don't come back here moaning when you've lost every penny that you've ever earnt either when it all goes horribly wrong.

If you can't see what the VIs are doing to that small brain of yours, then shut the fook up, you'e embarrassing yourself as usual...

It's been fun but I've got several tasks to complete today so I won't spoil your parade any further...

Hit a nerve did I old boy?

BTW, the London market recovers well prior to the likes of West Mouldy. The recover I speak of is in London.

As for your 'dont patronise me in future', I'm shaking like a leaf.

well, that' because you don't know the area and you don't know where the ones not selling are.

Look at how many town house style houses (70s) you can see for sale and how many are sold ( a few are overpriced I agree and not selling). They can easily be recognised to to the tiled walls and the large bay windows. These all are on a nice area close to the thames and the good school although, I must admit, the buildings themselves are ugly.

West Molesey is half private, half ex-concil or concil. You just have to know which end you want to be in and people wanting to buy will quickly figure that one out.

This is very much how I imagined the town from my initial views of it.

A lot of towns are like this. For example, Surbiton is divided into two very distinct areas, Tolworth and Surbiton itself. If you were to look on rightmove without knowing the area it would be difficult to get a reliable view of it. At the moment, there is a 3 bed '30s semi on the market on Tolworth for £249k, and a very similar one on in Surbiton for £515k - a bit of a difference!

I have kept a close eye on both areas over the last couple of years - sometimes one is moving and the other isn't, sometimes they are both slow. Totally different areas within the same postcode.

Unfortunately, the general direction this forum seems to be taking at the moment is one of seizing every bit of good news as near-definite proof of a crash, and dismissing anything negative out of hand.

If undecided is an EA/VI he must be delighted that his thread has caused the most interest out of any on the forum today.

If he had posted one called 'West Molesey is crashing fast' I bet he would not have caused nearly such a stir.

Honestly, I have no interest one way or the other for the property market to go. If it falls, I can buy cheaper my next home(percentage descrease as long as I upgrade this is true), if it does not change, It will cost me a bit more but I will not have to worry about negative equity or anything like that.

I live in West Molesey, this is near Hampton Court, Kingston Upon Thames and Surbiton. It is an area that's been growing in the last few years as the ones mentioned above became unafordable for most people.

The estate agent had no interest in telling me rubbish as I know her quite well. She'd told me how the FTB market was slow or inexistant when I told her I wanted to sell.

Indeed, my sister-in-law had her flat in Thames Ditton on the market from January to September this year. She only had a few viewings over that period and gave up in the end and has re-thought her plans. I had better get on to her and tell her to stick it back on now that things have picked up so much!

Funny thing was the various EAs she was with said she should not drop her price.

I wonder what has happened in the last couple of months that has made property that was completely unaffordable suddenly affordable?