House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Portillo Heard Mitchell Say Pleb

BBC website: Portillo 'misspeaks' on Mitchell's use of the word 'pleb'.

I'm a bit puzzled by this article.

Michael Portillo has said he "misspoke" when he claimed he had heard former Conservative chief whip Andrew Mitchell say the word "pleb"... In a live discussion on the BBC's This Week, Mr Portillo revealed: "I have heard him use that word in private conversation - the pleb word, I mean." But he now says he got "carried away".

It's not clear to me from the write-up whether Portillo actually has or has not heard Andrew Mitchell use the word 'pleb' privately or not. Far from clarifying his position, I think the article makes it less clear.

I've wondered if he said "pig" but not seen anyone speculate on that. Admitting he said "pig" wouldn't get him any points though.

99% of us are plebs compared to people like that though.

I've wondered if he said "pig" but not seen anyone speculate on that. Admitting he said "pig" wouldn't get him any points though.

99% of us are plebs compared to people like that though.

I haven't been following the story especially closely, but if the latest is still that Mitchell categorically denies saying 'pleb', but, apart from admitting to some swearing, won't be drawn on precisely what word(s) he did use, 'pig' might very well be the reason why.

However, 'pig' feels like a bit of a... well, a 'pleb's' word for the police, so I find it somewhat hard to imagine him saying it.

The point is, the Politician was complaining to the pleb for following the rules the Politician made...

really, we are all plebs for following some of the rules of law while big criminals wave the police away as the law doesnt apply to them...every pleb should know this.

The point is, the Politician was complaining to the pleb for following the rules the Politician made...

Unlikely.

Politicians may have made traffic rules. They designate one kind of road where you can drive but not cycle: the motorway. Anywhere else you get stopped for being somewhere on a bike but would be allowed in a car, it's nothing to do with politicians' rules.

Unlikely.

Politicians may have made traffic rules. They designate one kind of road where you can drive but not cycle: the motorway. Anywhere else you get stopped for being somewhere on a bike but would be allowed in a car, it's nothing to do with politicians' rules.

I beleive this incident took place in the Houses of Parliament, and the security rules for the place said only cars through the gate, cyclists and pedestrians through the pedestrian gate.

Silly rules to enforce rigidly, but if the Police are asked to do so, then the rule maker decides to break it, then just who is the control freak and who is the pleb?

I haven't been following the story especially closely, but if the latest is still that Mitchell categorically denies saying 'pleb', but, apart from admitting to some swearing, won't be drawn on precisely what word(s) he did use, 'pig' might very well be the reason why.

However, 'pig' feels like a bit of a... well, a 'pleb's' word for the police, so I find it somewhat hard to imagine him saying it.

"Prat" more likely? Non-story for the plebs anyway, most plebs think the police are bent and MP`s are elitist idiots. If he had said "you`re dead!", that would have been a story?

I beleive this incident took place in the Houses of Parliament, and the security rules for the place said only cars through the gate, cyclists and pedestrians through the pedestrian gate.

Silly rules to enforce rigidly, but if the Police are asked to do so, then the rule maker decides to break it, then just who is the control freak and who is the pleb?

A rule like that could possibly have come from a buildings manager, but more likely from a jobsworth's idiocy. Not from the law of the land: indeed, if challenged in court it would very likely be found illegal.

A rule like that could possibly have come from a buildings manager, but more likely from a jobsworth's idiocy. Not from the law of the land: indeed, if challenged in court it would very likely be found illegal.

exactly my point, a jobsworth idiocy, so you would expect the lawmakers in charge to show some respect to the plebs tasked to make sure they all follow the rules. the Pleb comment should have been at the people who made the rules..Then again, a Constable has lawful discretion in most matters...treat them like kids and they will act like kids.

The whole plebgate thing might have been a shot across the bows for talking to journos.

Andrew Mitchell, the then International Development Secretary, was dispatched to build covert contacts with the controversial regime in Equatorial Guinea.

The plan was never executed as Gaddafi was killed in October 2011, although there has always been speculation that this happened as he was leaving the country.

The details of the Gaddafi exit strategy are disclosed in In It Together by Matthew d’Ancona. The book, which will be serialised in the Daily and Sunday Telegraph this weekend is based on interviews with key Government figures and discloses hitherto unknown details about the key moments for the Coalition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10339439/Secret-MI6-plot-to-help-Col-Gaddafi-escape-Libya-revealed.html

exactly my point, a jobsworth idiocy, so you would expect the lawmakers in charge to show some respect to the plebs tasked to make sure they all follow the rules. the Pleb comment should have been at the people who made the rules..Then again, a Constable has lawful discretion in most matters...treat them like kids and they will act like kids.

I'm all for making all politicians having every single law they create enforced against them to the fullest extent. Eventually it might lead to less stupid laws, i won't hold my breath though..