House Price Crash Forum

Councils ‘Heading For The Rocks’ Due To Cuts

HOLA441

Bit of a stretch to go from "pay for services you use" to ungoverned war zone IMO. If you want the library you pay at the door, if you don`t pay to have the bins collected the bin man has an app on his phone that tells him and the bin sits there, if it sits long enough or regularly enough you face criminal prosecution for health and safety breach etc etc, can`t be any worse than what we have now? Of course collection fees for bins etc would have to be REASONABLE and ACCURATE, it would be pennies per household. The council tax is just a scam to get money in the pot for big vanity projects and then payoffs for the managers when they retire.

I wonder if the IT exists for this already.

Your bin has a proximity device on it (like with prisoner tagging say)

When its full you simply click am internet link which informs the central system that your bin needs collecting and leave it out.

Private rubbish collection companies can empty your bin and claim a fee electronically for doing it. They can log on to the database in real time and simply drives around picking up bins, don't even need a schedule, and can compete with each other on the streets on the day. Give out a limited number of licenses to do this to prevent saturation.

You could even pay am increased fee to bid for more urgent collection for whatever reason, either adhoc or regularly

Edited by Si1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I wonder if the IT exists for this already.

Your bin has a proximity device on it (like with prisoner tagging say)

When its full you simply click am internet link which informs the central system that your bin needs collecting and leave it out.

Private rubbish collection companies can empty your bin and claim a fee electronically for doing it. They can log on to the database in real time and simply drives around picking up bins, don't even need a schedule, and can compete with each other on the streets on the day. Give out a limited number of licenses to do this to prevent saturation.

You could even pay am increased fee to bid for more urgent collection for whatever reason, either adhoc or regularly

Exactly, same way as you can choose delivery companies/rates for parcels etc. So the less you need the service (single person pays far less for bins/re-cycling than family of five for example) the less you have to pay. Of course councils would cease to exist at this point, and they will cling on as long as the sheeple continue to accept being gouged at every turn for taxes and payments of some kind, with threats and intimidation if they don`t comply. Councils are just part of the UK mind set, like Landowners and Landlords. Come on Sheeple, rise up!

HOLA443

Exactly, same way as you can choose delivery companies/rates for parcels etc. So the less you need the service (single person pays far less for bins/re-cycling than family of five for example) the less you have to pay. Of course councils would cease to exist at this point, and they will cling on as long as the sheeple continue to accept being gouged at every turn for taxes and payments of some kind, with threats and intimidation if they don`t comply. Councils are just part of the UK mind set, like Landowners and Landlords. Come on Sheeple, rise up!

You will always need govt IMHO, just a lot less of it

HOLA444
HOLA445

Bit of a stretch to go from "pay for services you use" to ungoverned war zone IMO. If you want the library you pay at the door, if you don`t pay to have the bins collected the bin man has an app on his phone that tells him and the bin sits there, if it sits long enough or regularly enough you face criminal prosecution for health and safety breach etc etc, can`t be any worse than what we have now? Of course collection fees for bins etc would have to be REASONABLE and ACCURATE, it would be pennies per household. The council tax is just a scam to get money in the pot for big vanity projects and then payoffs for the managers when they retire.

Education and Social Services take about 70% of Council tax - does this constiute a scam / vanity project

There are a large range of council tax funded services that really don't fall into the pay as you go category as it just isn't fesible to charge in that way;

Police

Fire Service

Numerous regulatory services

Street cleaning

Road maintenance

Electoral registration

etc etc

etc

HOLA446
HOLA447

Education and Social Services take about 70% of Council tax - does this constiute a scam / vanity project

There are a large range of council tax funded services that really don't fall into the pay as you go category as it just isn't fesible to charge in that way;

Police

Fire Service

Street cleaning

Road maintenance

Electoral registration

etc etc

etc

I don't understand why funding for police / fire service happens locally, I don't see any benefits from doing that, centralise it.

Schools and social services - yes I can see the link up with a lot of related stuff that the council deal with so fair enough.

HOLA448

I don't understand why funding for police / fire service happens locally, I don't see any benefits from doing that, centralise it.

Schools and social services - yes I can see the link up with a lot of related stuff that the council deal with so fair enough.

I think the concept is local accountability. Whether it works in practice is another question.

HOLA449

Police

Fire Service

Street cleaning

Road maintenance

Electoral registration

etc etc

etc

In many councils, probably yes.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

What cracks me up about HPC is that virtually every poster will have enjoyed access to universal state education yet many see great merit in removing that priveilage for the children of today and the future.

Another straw man?

On form today

Just because someone objects to bloated local government does not mean they are against universal school provision

D- minus

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

My council just pissed away a billion pounds on a loss making tram scheme. Sooner they go bust and back to basics the better.

We might be getting paying for a new flag !!!

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/northamptonshire-needs-a-flag-1-5671001

"Northamptonshire needs a flag"

You could not make this up !!!!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

That will be my council as well I think :lol: The fact that there were actual arrests made over the running of the statutory repairs scheme tell us a lot about where the money goes I think.

Compensation will probably start flowing from that repair scandal in 2014. A legal firm is reaching out to parties impacted to discuss. Expect non disclosure clauses in exchange for cheques.

Meanwhile the tenements crumble.

HOLA4419

We might be getting paying for a new flag !!!

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/northamptonshire-needs-a-flag-1-5671001

"Northamptonshire needs a flag"

You could not make this up !!!!

Before we get political on this one point - Northamptonshire appears to be a Tory county council.

All government tends towards waste whoever it is, but small government at least should waste smaller amounts

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Funny isn't it. There are numerous posters on HPC who know exactly where the CEO's of many of the UK's top companies are going wrong and know exactly how to put things right.

Most of these same posters can't afford a 3 Bed Semi in the West Midlands :lol:

You got a bulk delivery of straw in today by any chance?

HOLA4423

Another straw man?

On form today

Just because someone objects to bloated local government does not mean they are against universal school provision

D- minus

Well - Dances with Sheeple was implying LA spending on education is a scam after I pointed out its total take of Council tax collection - he should back such a claim up with evidence.

Finding a bit of waste here or there in a large organisation is hardly unprecedented. I have seen plenty of waste in large private organisations I have worked for too. Obviously it needs to be addressed public or private but the way you guys go on you would think its some orchestrated plot! :lol:

HOLA4424

What cracks me up about HPC is that virtually every poster will have enjoyed access to universal state education yet many see great merit in removing that priveilage for the children of today and the future.

Not me Kurt! I'm not sure which posters say that? Councils used to give away grants in the olden days! I got one! The higher education "boom" is a bubble, and I don't think some people are getting "value for money", with this loans scheme. as one of my mates put it in "1992". It's a way to get people to borrow for their own dole, and keep off the unemployment figures.

HOLA4425

Not me Kurt! I'm not sure which posters say that? Councils used to give away grants in the olden days! I got one! The higher education "boom" is a bubble, and I don't think some people are getting "value for money", with this loans scheme. as one of my mates put it in "1992". It's a way to get people to borrow for their own dole, and keep off the unemployment figures.

I went to Uni in the transition days from grants to loans before fees. I remember getting £100 a term from the Govt. Mum and Dad made up the rest.

BTW - got that job, so maybe seeing you up in the Timor / Arafura if you take up your offer! :)