House Price Crash Forum

The Blonde Girl Found With The Roma

DEATH

HOLA441

Doesn't seem to be any discussion anywhere about this. The "camp" looks to have better buildings in it

than some holiday resorts I have been to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/10390790/Inside-Farsala-the-Roma-camp-in-Greece-where-blonde-four-year-old-was-found.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24589614

They suggest a cute blonde kid gets more when sent out begging. Makes you think about Maddy.

Poor thing looks in a better state now than when they found her.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

It is absolutely appalling.

This child most likely will never find her real parents again. Nor her parents find her. It is a tragedy.

I know it sounds selfish but stories like this remind me of just how lucky my life has been and remind me what a moaning, whinging tw*t I have been at times.

At least, with modern DNA tests, there is a slim chance that her family may be found - what I mean is, if a couple comes forward then DNA will identify whether they are related or not.

I suppose one fear is that many couples will come forward looking for their lost child.

This reminds me of those Westerns like 'The Searchers' and 'Cheyenne Autumn' where families could not identify loved ones rescued from Commache or Apache Indian tribes.

HOLA444
HOLA445

The woman apparently had six children in a ten month period. Now, I'm no academic biologist, but I reckon it takes about that time for a woman to boil up one baby! :blink:

HOLA446
HOLA447

She might have had sextuplets...

Now I knew that somebody would make that comment! ;)

Twins are not that rare. Maybe you know some? I do. Triplets are extremely rare. Any more than that and you are a sow! :ph34r:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Reminds me of the definition of a project manager.

Someone who thinks that if it takes 1 woman 9 months to have 1 baby, 9 women can produce 1 baby in 1 month.

That's Software Manager thinking! ;)

HOLA4411

I think the McCanns should adopt her and pretend she is Maddie. With a bit of makeup she could be a convincing substitute, until the real Maddie turns up again.

In fact, I think it is such a brilliant idea I think I will post it in the Daily Mail comments section.

I have to admit that I am laughing at this whilst feeling guilty... not guilty as in a "I kidnapped her" kind of way of course :blink:

HOLA4412

This story is unfortunately probably going to whip up some Roma/Gypsy/Traveller hatred and given the context reminds me of some of the old anti-Turkish (actually anti-Ottoman) sayings that used to be used.

I found a reference to a Maltese saying: Ara ġej it-Tork għalik ("Look the Turk is coming for you"), mothers used to scare children about the Turk coming for them when they misbehaved. But apparently the same used to be said in Victorian England.

All very sad really.

HOLA4413

At least, with modern DNA tests, there is a slim chance that her family may be found - what I mean is, if a couple comes forward then DNA will identify whether they are related or not.

If only all children were microchipped!

HOLA4414

Sky News just did a longish piece on it talking to the Roma family, the Police, a child charity, etc. Said that DNA testing showed that the girl was not a member of the family. Showed a young woman with flowing blonde hair also in the village.

I thought modern DNA testing could pretty much work out where someone comes from - Steve Jones did a programme on this for the BBC a few years back.

HOLA4415

Sky News just did a longish piece on it talking to the Roma family, the Police, a child charity, etc. Said that DNA testing showed that the girl was not a member of the family. Showed a young woman with flowing blonde hair also in the village.

I thought modern DNA testing could pretty much work out where someone comes from - Steve Jones did a programme on this for the BBC a few years back.

No, definitely not possible to tell location by DNA - especially in Europe. For instance the UK was completely uninhabited until the end of the last Ice Age, so basically all original ancient Brits were really Europeans anyway and all the DNA across Europe is mixed up save for a few key mutations traced back to particular eras. And of course if you are looking a the current mix in London you have people from everywhere.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Re the fear of the Turk - why is that surprising or wrong for previous generations? There WAS a massive invasion of Europe, it DID kill or enslave hundreds of thousands of europeans.

Bit like saying "those crazy old wives tales about not swimming with a steak strapped to your thigh. tcha!"

not now, of course - the next invasion isn't due for 50 years.

HOLA4419

Be glad she was spared from being sexually exploited in eight to twelve years time...

Someone who has "completely failed to be a Gentleman" might not wait that long! :ph34r:

I'm sure the little girl doesn't know who she is? :(

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I had a nightmare with Papa Lazarou in it once. It may have been after watching this episode. I forgot how dark that show could be!

I have the whole boxed set of them.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I have the scripts too.

The shows are so horribly dark.:)

I've just checked my "whole boxed set", and it still has the cellophane on it. I have never watched them yet. :huh:

HOLA4425

Archived