House Price Crash Forum

Dangerous Slugs Abound

HOLA441
HOLA442

Crikey, slugs round here are as big as bananas. Should I shoo them away in Spanish.My house is full of spiders. :unsure:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

non-story. i've seen those big slugs ever since i was a kid (jurassic era).

I remember seeing those spanish slugs in the south east when i was growing up!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

People always say spiders won't hurt you.

I beg to differ.

It's best to catch them in a container and put them outside. Handling them directly has its risks.

Does anybody else kill spiders they find inside their homes? On the orders of my wife they are dispatched on sight here.

HOLA4410

Does anybody else kill spiders they find inside their homes? On the orders of my wife they are dispatched on sight here.

I will sprinkle salt around a slug that kills them....I would never kill a spider, a) because I don't like flies, and anyway it is a known fact that we would die if it were not for spiders and the good work they do. ;)

HOLA4411

I will sprinkle salt around a slug that kills them....I would never kill a spider, a) because I don't like flies, and anyway it is a known fact that we would die if it were not for spiders and the good work they do. ;)

I bet your house is full of cobwebs, like the Munster's! Mine is because I'm a now a well adjusted Goth.All I need now is a basement laboratory and a huge organ.

HOLA4412

Axis propaganda poster from WW2...

8501199690_b56e9622df_z.jpg

There's an old favourite – I catalogued an impression of that one for the V&A

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O118146/its-a-long-way-to-poster-unknown/

I noticed at the time that the poster designer had got the calculations wrong. The poster claims that a snail travelling at 0.8 metres a minute for 191 days would have advanced 320 kilometres, yet I think on those figures it would have been just over 220 kilometres. Please let me know if this is wrong, and I will get it changed.

As for the super slug mentioned above, Barcelona to Dover at the same sort of rate as the poster snail would take about two and a half years – or are my calculations awry again?

HOLA4413

I bet your house is full of cobwebs, like the Munster's! Mine is because I'm a now a well adjusted Goth.All I need now is a basement laboratory and a huge organ.

I don't kill them, I pick them up and put them outside. They tickle like mad.

I used to pick up mice and anything else the cats bought in and let go, but am a bit more wary after a large mouse bit me.

Slugs are best dispatched rather than just moved. Sharp secateurs do the job.

HOLA4414

I don't kill them, I pick them up and put them outside. They tickle like mad.

I used to pick up mice and anything else the cats bought in and let go, but am a bit more wary after a large mouse bit me.

Slugs are best dispatched rather than just moved. Sharp secateurs do the job.

How did you get a Narnian visa? :blink:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There's an old favourite – I catalogued an impression of that one for the V&A

:lol:

I noticed at the time that the poster designer had got the calculations wrong. The poster claims that a snail travelling at 0.8 metres a minute for 191 days would have advanced 320 kilometres, yet I think on those figures it would have been just over 220 kilometres. Please let me know if this is wrong, and I will get it changed.

I make it 208 days (6th September 1943 - 1st April 1944). We get the same speed.

Snail's daily rate at 0.8m/min = 0.8m * 60 minutes * 24 hours / 1,000 metres in a km = 1.152km

208 days * 1.152km = 240km

I'm a bit woozy with a cold at the moment. So I don't offer up the 208 days as gospel but it's worth a check.

As for the super slug mentioned above, Barcelona to Dover at the same sort of rate as the poster snail would take about two and a half years – or are my calculations awry again?

Barcelona - Dover c.1,080km

1,080km / 1.152km = 937 days

Not awry afaic.

HOLA4418

All slugs and snails can be lured with beer. Though I bet the Spanish ones prefer cheap wine! :blink:

My favourite method from the book "1001 ways to kill a slug" that I perused in a doctors waiting room, although I've not yet tried it, is to lay some porridge oats down. Apparently after the slugs have eaten it swells up inside them and they explode.

HOLA4419

All slugs and snails can be lured with beer. Though I bet the Spanish ones prefer cheap wine! :blink:

I can certainly be lured with beer!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

if they look like this.........DO NOT PICK THEM UP.

these little buggers are in the UK, and they pack a punch.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4787090123850690&pid=15.1&H=160&W=117

Yes, spiders can nip. This is probably the most poisonous one we have in this country! Australians deal with much worse. :huh:

HOLA4425

Keep reading the title as "Dangerous Slags Abound" and expecting another deeply misogynist thread with the usual suspects.

I hope I'm not in the lineup, as a "suspect". :huh:

Archived