House Price Crash Forum
Caius

Charge Holiday Home Owners 200% Council Tax

HOLIDAY home owners could be forced to pay twice the amount of council tax to fund the building of more affordable homes, a council leader said.

My link

Would a 200% council tax deter purchasing of houses as holiday homes? I don't think so.

People only buy holiday homes as an investment because property prices only go up. They can also make rental income from them.

Better idea: Build 50,000 council houses every year until houses are affordable again.

"A second home owner, who asked not to be named, said: “Second home owners do contribute to the local economy. We visit our cottage in Snowdonia at least eight times a year and buy goods and services in local shops. The cottage was a ramshackle ruin when we bought it in 1978 and restored it sensitively. Its unfair this is even being considered.”"

People only buy holiday homes as an investment because property prices only go up. They can also make rental income from them.

Better idea: Build 50,000 council houses every year until houses are affordable again.

I tend to agree.....but as to be affordable homes that match average wages in the area where they build them....10% deposits required.......for example 3 bed semi with garden housing costing £130,000...£13k deposit £2k costs....£117k mortgage....~£27,000 salary. ;)

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-1633400/Mortgage-calculator-True-cost-calculator--fees-charges-rates.html

"A second home owner, who asked not to be named, said: "Second home owners do contribute to the local economy. We visit our cottage in Snowdonia at least eight times a year and buy goods and services in local shops. The cottage was a ramshackle ruin when we bought it in 1978 and restored it sensitively. Its unfair this is even being considered.""

If only ever home in the UK was visited by its owners just 8 times p.a. just imagine how much higher GDP could be.

Look, if you can afford to run a place you only use for two weeks a year, then a bit of extra Council tax will not worry you. :huh:

Sounds reasonable. A friend from Cornwall whose family have lived there for generations hasn't got a prayer of affording a place, unless they want to live in a static caravan.

I used to live in Cumbria (400 yards outside of the Lake District National Park) and I had to pay not only full council tax but some of the money went to the National Park Authority, what really annoyed me was second home owners in the Lakes get a massive council tax discount.

So yes a big step in the right direction. These idiots think they keep the economy of the Lakes going, they don't.

I remember having to do a job in Coniston, one March morning and getting there was weird, I was driving through ghost villages, not a soul about! No kids on their way to school.

Look, if you can afford to run a place you only use for two weeks a year, then a bit of extra Council tax will not worry you. :huh:

Its not likely to be a bit extra -more like £2000, that would worry me. Also don't see the logic behind the charge, holiday home owners must be the ideal residents they bring in money like any other resident but don't make use of expensive education or elderly care services.

I used to live in Cumbria (400 yards outside of the Lake District National Park) and I had to pay not only full council tax but some of the money went to the National Park Authority, what really annoyed me was second home owners in the Lakes get a massive council tax discount.

So yes a big step in the right direction. These idiots think they keep the economy of the Lakes going, they don't.

I remember having to do a job in Coniston, one March morning and getting there was weird, I was driving through ghost villages, not a soul about! No kids on their way to school.

Admit it, that was Workington. ;)

Holiday homes have just killed some villages. If people lived there full time, there would be more shops, builders, farriers and of course village idiots. And the school would not have closed.

Admit it, that was Workington. ;)

Holiday homes have just killed some villages. If people lived there full time, there would be more shops, builders, farriers and of course village idiots. And the school would not have closed.

Kendal

Kendal

Oh, that's a bit nicer! I certainly don't think "second homes" should be getting a council tax discount.

Its not likely to be a bit extra -more like £2000, that would worry me. Also don't see the logic behind the charge, holiday home owners must be the ideal residents they bring in money like any other resident but don't make use of expensive education or elderly care services.

Because they mess up the economics. They're not shopping in local shops (local meaning presence, it's the same for supermarket or corner shop) more than a few weeks a year, they're not paying into parking metres, they're not providing a good or service. But the infrastructure to support that many homes still exists - so if you have a village of 1000 people, all of whom live there, or a village of 2000 people but half the homes are holiday homes, you've got the same economic base, but need to have enough roads, pipes, lighting for twice as many.

In addition, if you're buying a second home, it's probably not as important to you that it's affordable (i.e. if you're struggling to buy one home, or if you're shopping for a second, you're probably not in the same economic boat), which intrinsically pushes up costs for people still there (which is them doubled by the reduction of supply effectively taking the barely-occupied home out of the market)

Second home owners increase costs, and they do so in places which tend to be fairly fringe (the south west, Wales, Cumbria) without great economies to start with. Then having done so, they don't bother coming very much, and don't contribute anything like as much as a full time resident would.

We definitely don't see them as 'the ideal resident'.

I know people with a second home, their contribution to the local economy, while not zero, is far less than a normal resident, even on a pro-rata basis. Buy petrol at the last major town for their trip, take most food with them too and don't use local restaurants/bars/shops except for the odd newspaper and a few odds and ends. The odd tradesman appointment for maintenace would be matched by full time residentts. There's no way that it represents a useful contribution to the economy, even though they go ten times a year or so.

It's entirely specious to talk about a contribution to the economy on a net basis, in the main. They might spend what they do in more visible ways eg pubs in high season, but it surely can't match a full time working resident.

Edited by The B.L.T.

Walk through some coastal Cornish villages in winter with about 1 in 5 houses actually occupied and everything shut up. These villages are dead, there are no local jobs for the children that remain and the second home purchases have pushed up the prices beyind what they can afford so they will have to live elsewhere.

Second home owners are the nightmare residents; there is one in my street and it is like a cancer at its heart, with the worry that it might spread the next time a house goes up for sale here.

Whack it higher and higher until houses are actually owned again by the people who live in them.

I know people with a second home, their contribution to the local economy, while not zero, is far less than a normal resident, even on a pro-rata basis. Buy petrol at the last major town for their trip, take most food with them too and don't use local restaurants/bars/shops except for the odd newspaper and a few odds and ends. The odd tradesman appointment for maintenace would be matched by full time residentts. There's no way that it represents a useful contribution to the economy, even though they go ten times a year or so.

It's entirely specious to talk about a contribution to the economy on a net basis, in the main. They might spend what they do in more visible ways eg pubs in high season, but it surely can't match a full time working resident.

Load up at Waitrose on the way.

Fill up the car - Its soo much cheaper than in the sticks.

Pay some old bloke to maintain the garden.

Speaking as someone who grew up in a village that now has the highest number of 2nd home owners in the region now, the only good thing about 2nd HO are: houses easy to rob and bored teenage daughters looking for ways to annoy their parents.

Walk through some coastal Cornish villages in winter with about 1 in 5 houses actually occupied and everything shut up. These villages are dead, there are no local jobs for the children that remain and the second home purchases have pushed up the prices beyind what they can afford so they will have to live elsewhere.

Second home owners are the nightmare residents; there is one in my street and it is like a cancer at its heart, with the worry that it might spread the next time a house goes up for sale here.

Whack it higher and higher until houses are actually owned again by the people who live in them.

Trouble is, they are NOT "resident". They are hardly ever there.

One of my mates is planning to retire to Cornwall. He goes on holiday there every year! You might have him as a neighbour, well fifty miles away or something! No, he is actually planning to go there, if things work out all right! I wouldn't mind Cornwall myself , because, well, I went there a few times, but I think I am condemned to this urban sprawl and den of crime, known as Somerset!

It's a global phenomenon, the draw of the "city"! :blink: It's emptying the "country".

Agreed totally. If you've paid £250k for a cottage in the pretty countryside, the prospect of your council tax increasing from £1k to £2k a year is not going to keep you awake at night. For that reason, and the negative publicity that any government would attract if they tried to block the proposal (not to mention that the amount of voters we're talking about is tiny, and almost all of them will have their primary residence in a rock solid Tory constituency), I suspect that this proposal may actually end up happening.

The Tories would only sell em off again,

and Labour would allow another million immigrants in.

Back to Square one!

Agreed totally. If you've paid £250k for a cottage in the pretty countryside, the prospect of your council tax increasing from £1k to £2k a year is not going to keep you awake at night. For that reason, and the negative publicity that any government would attract if they tried to block the proposal (not to mention that the amount of voters we're talking about is tiny, and almost all of them will have their primary residence in a rock solid Tory constituency), I suspect that this proposal may actually end up happening.

It's funny though, people spend loads on a car but a £200 tax disc acts as a real deterrant against particular models despite being a negligible outlay overall. I think some of these costs, trivial as they are, have an effect far beyond their actual weight.

Load up at Waitrose on the way.

Fill up the car - Its soo much cheaper than in the sticks.

Pay some old bloke to maintain the garden.

Speaking as someone who grew up in a village that now has the highest number of 2nd home owners in the region now, the only good thing about 2nd HO are: houses easy to rob and bored teenage daughters looking for ways to annoy their parents.

Sounds like hell imo. Living in a morgue.

The biggest problem is policing it, as you just put the second home in your spouses name and it becomes their main residence etc. A bit like what the politicians were doing with their main residence etc in the expenses scandal

All that would happen is that they would convert to businesses and pay business rates not council tax as an unprofitable holiday rental.....

The Tories would only sell em off again,

and Labour would allow another million immigrants in.

Back to Square one!

And labour never stops the selling off of council houses.

People like it. Well those in a council house they can buy like it anyway.