House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Google Just Went Over 1,000 Bucks A Share

Wary of criticising Google, but I'm struggling to to get the search-results I'm after with the new big-change Hummingbird algorithm, versus Caffeine.

There may be other advantages of Hummingbird, as I hear some praising it, but I'm having to fall back and use other search engines more often, to get links to news/specific articles I recall keywords from.

I have a newish site that is beginning to rank, it's got a little harder over the years but as the web grows it will get harder to rank..

Quite simply: You need to be better than your competition in some way.

Not as hard as you think as when most websites get big they sell out and the purchaser of said site jacks up the price.

One thing I have noticed is that CPC costs for the sector I have interest in have fallen by 25%, however that is a correction to 2011 prices after a small 2012 bubble in that sector.

I tend to use startpage and duckduckgo for privacy these days, but there's more to google than just the search engine page. They have an enormous range of online services, gathering data and selling it on to third parties and advertisers.

Plus, they are having considerable success with Android phones/tablets and Chromebooks not to mention the Chromecast looking like it could be the dominant digital pathway into everyone's living room/TV set potentially opening up another revenue source for streaming music and video.

I tend to use startpage and duckduckgo for privacy these days, but there's more to google than just the search engine page. They have an enormous range of online services, gathering data and selling it on to third parties and advertisers.

Plus, they are having considerable success with Android phones/tablets and Chromebooks not to mention the Chromecast looking like it could be the dominant digital pathway into everyone's living room/TV set potentially opening up another revenue source for streaming music and video.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of revenue chart.

Oh wait....

7-18-2013googleearnings.jpg

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of revenue chart.

Oh wait....

7-18-2013googleearnings.jpg

Google.com covers a lot more than just the search engine though. I'd guess it refers to all advertising revenue generated by their abc.google.com services.

The biggest threat to their hegemony would be services better placed to gather personal information that can be used to advertise to consumers - hence the market interest in Facebook which holds a massive amount of personal info thanks to its social networking service.

And the Dow is below its May high...

Yeah, Dow doesn't matter. It's only 30 stocks. Yeah and about half the economy.

Bing is quite good these days, I often use Bing maps as Google doesnt think that Ireland is important enought to provide with up to date satellite maps.

Have Google got that old map of the British Isles, where Ireland is joined to England and France, by a big sheet of ice?

Have Google got that old map of the British Isles, where Ireland is joined to England and France, by a big sheet of ice?

What's really weird is when the streetview data is stitched together from different time periods. The other day I was looking at a street where a Coffee Republic turned into a Costa as soon as I loaded the view from a few metres further forwards.

Google or the DOW or both? Another 300 or so points to reach the 2013 DOW high.

How much is an advert on a Cellphone worth? I think this is evangelistic exuberance! :blink:

Wary of criticising Google, but I'm struggling to to get the search-results I'm after with the new big-change Hummingbird algorithm, versus Caffeine.

There may be other advantages of Hummingbird, as I hear some praising it, but I'm having to fall back and use other search engines more often, to get links to news/specific articles I recall keywords from.

They seems to have a lot of trouble with 'content portals'.

I often have to wade through masses of ehow and about.com crap before I can find something useful.

One topic I searched for today had 5 pointless content free links before wikipedia FFS.

Google or the DOW or both? Another 300 or so points to reach the 2013 DOW high.

They're both around major tops. Not much more in it.

Caveat: topping signals but could yet surprise to upside

They're both around major tops. Not much more in it.

Caveat: topping signals but could yet surprise to upside

Catflap reckons we might have a waterfall before the end of the month. Even something akin to a 1929 event. If it is going to happen then October seems a good month for it to.

Unless something happens after US close or over the weekend, presumably London will follow on from where the US leaves off. So the start of next week could see the DOW back to the 2013 high? If, if, if.

Fascinating

October and the back end of it is becoming known as the time for market corrections!!

However not this year I think!! To much 'so called' good news has been shoved across in the last few weeks.

They seems to have a lot of trouble with 'content portals'.

I often have to wade through masses of ehow and about.com crap before I can find something useful.

One topic I searched for today had 5 pointless content free links before wikipedia FFS.

I think the Google search concept is somewhat broken since their has been an exponential growth in the number of websites and Googles linear display of the search results has remained constant.

I had a great idea how they could overcome the issue. The problem is their thinking ios stuck in a flat 10 results search engine format with ads down the side. In effect they are frightened to try something new.

Cutts, are you listening - pm me :lol:

I think the Google search concept is somewhat broken since their has been an exponential growth in the number of websites and Googles linear display of the search results has remained constant.

I had a great idea how they could overcome the issue. The problem is their thinking ios stuck in a flat 10 results search engine format with ads down the side. In effect they are frightened to try something new.

Cutts, are you listening - pm me :lol:

How do you find info on the Internet without using a search engine? 10 flat results seems about ideal to me.