House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Jeremy Hunt To Tell Uk Families They Should Follow Example Of People In Asia

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/18/jeremy-hunt-uk-families-asia-elderly

Jeremy Hunt will today tell British families they should follow the example of people in Asia, by taking in elderly relatives once they can no longer live alone.

The health secretary, whose wife is Chinese, is due to say in a speech on Friday that he is struck by the "reverence and respect" for older people in Asian cultures, where it is expected that older grandparents will go to live with their children and grandchildren rather than enter a care home.

He will say: "In those countries, when living alone is no longer possible, residential care is a last rather than a first option. And the social contract is stronger because as children see how their own grandparents are looked after, they develop higher expectations of how they too will be treated when they get old.

"If we are to tackle the challenge of an ageing society, we must learn from this – and restore and reinvigorate the social contract between generations. And uncomfortable though it is to say it, it will only start with changes in the way we personally treat our own parents and grandparents."

Great idea, I just need a bigger house...

Luckily govt policy on house prices will soon ensure we have 3 generations barely affording to live in a 1 bed flat which they can only afford to rent.

http://www.theguardi...es-asia-elderly

Luckily govt policy on house prices will soon ensure we have 3 generations barely affording to live in a 1 bed flat which they can only afford to rent.

Why there is not at least a single BBC or Guardian journalist to publish that we would be quite happy to put our old folks in a newly built care home flats built on the farm land as the cost of the land and the building would be about £30k so it would be affordable even for people on low incomes.

And sharing 1 nurse for 10 or 20 old folks would cost about £150 per months each.

So who is going to look after the old person while both partners are at work paying for their over-priced house?

OK, a care worker could visit. That's maybe one toilet visit and some food/drink and maybe a chat, for the entire day.

If there is more than one person who needs care, chances are that:

- Two people trying to do full time jobs won't be able to manage more than one, I couldn't. I don't think I could cope with one person who was in the later stages of Alzheimer's.

- It would be easier to have them all in one place with experienced/trained staff, facilities, and other older people for company. We could call them care homes.

Older Asian people tended to still be fairly functional into old age whereas we generally, well, aren't. It's probably dietary and cultural rather than any genetic defect but that doesn't make any money for people trying to flog medicines etc.

Edited by chronyx

So who is going to look after the old person while both partners are at work paying for their over-priced house?

OK, a care worker could visit. That's maybe one toilet visit and some food/drink and maybe a chat, for the entire day.

If there is more than one person who needs care, chances are that:

- Two people trying to do full time jobs won't be able to manage more than one, I couldn't. I don't think I could cope with one person who was in the later stages of Alzheimer's.

- It would be easier to have them all in one place with experienced/trained staff, facilities, and other older people for company. We could call them care homes.

Older Asian people tended to still be fairly functional into old age whereas we generally, well, aren't. It's probably dietary and cultural rather than any genetic defect but that doesn't make any money for people trying to flog medicines etc.

Exactly, high house prices infect almost every area of life. If Hunty wants Help to Buy, then he has to accept the elderly will not be safe being left in a dual income household.

Just where does this Govternments list of expecttions for the young end these days? Dual income debt slaves, paying for education, poor pension provision, carers for parents etc etc. Ultimately there are limits to the time, effort and money that can/will be spent. F.R.O.

Edited by The B.L.T.

Guest unfunded_liability

Having witnessed an older sibling's appalling treatment and possibly consequential death in a 'care home', I'm not going to allow my elderly parents to enter such an establishment.

Jeremy Hunt is out of date. The 'care for your elders' thing is breaking down in Asian cultures for the same reason that it won't start happening here: dual income households do not have spare resources (time, money, space) that can be diverted into providing care.

Still, I expect he'll be crowing about the rise in employment when he wants to be re-elected. The Conservatives seem convinced that this is unarguably a Good Thing, to me it just looks like the proles are working harder for less.

Jeremy Hunt is out of date. The 'care for your elders' thing is breaking down in Asian cultures for the same reason that it won't start happening here: dual income households do not have spare resources (time, money, space) that can be diverted into providing care.

Still, I expect he'll be crowing about the rise in employment when he wants to be re-elected. The Conservatives seem convinced that this is unarguably a Good Thing, to me it just looks like the proles are working harder for less.

Agreed, the short-sightedness of these people seems limitless.

Guest unfunded_liability

I think what Jeremy Hunt is trying to do is spin an air of respectability on the inevitable consequence of a rapidly shrinking economy: fewer single households, more grown up children forced to live with parents, less disposable income.

History will show the rise in single households during the 80's and 90's as a blip, fueled by the petro-pound and ponzi-economics city trading.

IMO the governments policy of keep the old people at home is utter bo11ocks.

If people have relatives nearby, then great they will look after them the best they can.

On the otherhand my grandmother had 5 sisters, so there were 6 of them. During my life they have all died off one by one - all having dementia from about the age of 80.

For their own safety it is better to have them in a home/institution, not only the that it is much easier and cheaper as the carers don't need to make home visits.

Not only that if the old person can move into appropriate accommodation early enough they make friends (before they are totally senile) and have a much better life.

There is no way that if I/we are in our late 70's we are staying at home by ourselves, one person / a carer visiting once per week - sod that.

Exactly, high house prices infect almost every area of life. If Hunty wants Help to Buy, then he has to accept the elderly will not be safe being left in a dual income household.

Just where does this Govternments list of expecttions for the young end these days? Dual income debt slaves, paying for education, poor pension provision, carers for parents etc etc. Ultimately there are limits to the time, effort and money that can/will be spent. F.R.O.

I don't think the Tory 'hardworking' mantra applies to carers somehow, even though some are the most hard working people of all.

Should have become bankers or property developers instead.

Interesting article by Fraser Nelson

http://www.telegraph...he-elderly.html (paywall)

The rungs of this ladder have now been broken, and yesterday Milburn said so. But Clegg had not reckoned on him saying that the young are currently denied the help they need because the Government spends so much on the old.
Edited by aSecureTenant

Thanks Jesser,

I'll have planning permission for 2 of these from you by return

article-2341057-1A4D4B67000005DC-916_634x425.jpg

if you can buy a building plot for the price of farm land nobody would never consider this

as even people on minimal wage would be able to buy a house

this is the result of the planning regulations

Why there is not at least a single BBC or Guardian journalist to publish that we would be quite happy to put our old folks in a newly built care home flats built on the farm land as the cost of the land and the building would be about £30k so it would be affordable even for people on low incomes.

And sharing 1 nurse for 10 or 20 old folks would cost about £150 per months each.

Agree on the building on farm land point, disagree on the ratio of nurses to care home tenants.

More like 1 member of staff to 5 old folks if they have any kind of serious mobility issues (care needed 24x7x365)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/18/jeremy-hunt-uk-families-asia-elderly

The most obtuse nonsense I've heard for a while. Like comparing apples to oranges. Why not go one further and execute more of our own citizens than China? ******ing nob!

Jeremy Hunt will today tell British families they should follow the example of people in Asia, by taking in elderly relatives once they can no longer live alone.

Her's another issue that they were banging on about years ago, indeed several parliaments ago.

The same old stuff just being regurgitated again pretending to be fresh ideas. It's very clear that they are incapable of solving any of the problems facing the UK.

Edited by billybong

The health secretary, whose wife is Chinese, is due to say in a speech on Friday that he is struck by the "reverence and respect" for older people in Asian cultures, where it is expected that older grandparents will go to live with their children and grandchildren rather than enter a care home

Typical racist cr4p from this govt.

Perhaps Hunt would be happier going to work for the Chinese Communist party where he can be more useful.

I'm not sure how relevant house prices are in terms of contributing to making it difficult to look after elderly parents; the Chinese themselves have eye-waterningly high house prices. It will be interesting to find out though what will happen when those that were born after the single child policy came into force witl do regarding aged parental care. You could in theory have 4 aged parents with at best 1 child being able to look after them. Maybe in the UK, and in other places, the answer will be to have more kids in the future so that the costs and responsibilities of care may be shared amongst the off-spring. That's what happened in the past isn't it?

Edited by Caius

Someone should point out to these idiots - no, imbeciles - that in Hong Kong, where the eldery do stay with relatives, income tax is around 15% for TOP EARNERS and zero for most normal people. The government is small and confined itself to the critical things. THAT is why they can save for retirement and helping out their rellies.....

Governments do everything possible to make sure of family breakdown/single parent families + tiny houses + no jobs in many areas so children often 100s of miles from parents.

Government says we should be more like Asia.

Ok structure our economy like Asia and once it works through the demographics we should be ok in around 60 years.