House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

Coconut Oil

Anyone using?

Recently I started to have a dollop of it in a cup of hot chocolate at breakfast and have found it to be noticeably helpful for brain function and warding off fatigue. I have some sort of metabolic / autoimmune condition - diagnosed in 2010 as MS but possibly a misdiagnosis and am currently being tested for coeliacs disease (with a view towards gluten ataxia which would explain my neuro symptoms).

Apparently medium chain triglcerides found in coconut are a great brain fuel and it is theorised that some peoples brains may not process sugars well so MCTG provide an excellent source of ketone bodies. I believe people with dementia, parkinsons and huntingdons Chorea respond well to coconut oil supplementation in their diets which is interesting.

My wife makes some lovely quinoa burgers, in which coconut oil is one of several eye-wateringly expensive ingredients (around $15 a jar). Avocado oil and nutritional food yeast are among the others. They taste amazing, but the stuff you need to make them (as with a lot of nicer vegan recipes, it has to be admitted) ain't cheap.

Have been known to rub some on my body in the summer.

Your gluten problem is more interesting.

I had to load up on wheat prior to the test as it is an antigen test. This caused moderate gastric discomfort, smelly $hit, and wind. Additionally my neuropathy (tingling in hands and feet and itchy skin) and fatigue were worse. Should get test results on Monday which wil include a load of other stuff including B12, Vit D, blood sugar, Ca, etc.

Have been strict no cereals since including wheat in composite products. GI tract back to normal now. Even if the test comes back negative for coeliacs I still have some sort of sensitivity to gluten / cereal products.

i clean my teeth with biocarb and coconut oil every other day, normal bog standard toothpaste on the days in-between.

Just incase 'they're' wrong, I'll be right!

I think Kurt now works for the Bounty Bar people....it is right that there has never been a better bar for biting off the chocolate sides then eating the delicious coconut centre...and now its great for your health too.

Im in.

I had to load up on wheat prior to the test as it is an antigen test. This caused moderate gastric discomfort, smelly $hit, and wind. Additionally my neuropathy (tingling in hands and feet and itchy skin) and fatigue were worse. Should get test results on Monday which wil include a load of other stuff including B12, Vit D, blood sugar, Ca, etc.

Have been strict no cereals since including wheat in composite products. GI tract back to normal now. Even if the test comes back negative for coeliacs I still have some sort of sensitivity to gluten / cereal products.

I've been eating coconut oil by the bloody tonne since I was diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerance. If you had coeliac disease I think you'd already know it, but apparently whereas it affects a very small amount of people, gluten intolerance affects about 15% in some form or other. From what you say, I'd guess it quite likely that you are gluten intolerant, and if that's the case, there's about a 30% chance you are lactose intolerant as well.

Food intolerances go hand in hand with yeast overgrowth (aka Candida). Apparently it's a little bit chicken and egg as to which causes which, but the yeast can create holes in the wall of the gut, which allows food to absorb into the blood stream where it cannot be digested - and is basically broken down by your immune system which thinks it's a pathogen. in addition, the yeast itself creates something like 70 toxins which also put strain on your immune system as it deals with them. The longer you have the problem, the more systemic the yeast overgrowth becomes. The stress on your immune system causes internal inflammation, and masses of symptoms, such as allergies, skin conditions, fatigue, leading all the way to depression and anxiety.

I wouldn't treat it as a simple case of "I have a gluten intolerance so I don't eat it anymore" - get tests done for yeast overgrowth, because if you have it, you'll just end up developing intolerances to other foods as well. The process of getting rid of it sucks, btw - the candida cleanse diet is a miserable experience, but worth every moment if it gets rid of the little bastards.

Oh, and one more thing - don't make the mistake I made of thinking that everything in the gluten free section in your supermarket must be healthy. A lot of it is full of shit that ought to put it n the same shelf as Monster and Red Bull.

I'd recommend googling bulletproof coffee.

Start with 1 cup (8 oz.) filtered water, just off the boil.

Measure 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons freshly ground Coffee beans (approximately 2 rounded tablespoons per 6 oz. water) and brew using your favorite coffee brewing method. (Why this is important)

Pour in 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Add 1 tablespoon grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee (build up to 2 tablespoons or more over several days).

Mix in a blender for 20 seconds until the oil and butter are emulsified so the drink is frothy and looks like a creamy latte without a film of oil on the surface.

It’s really fast and easy to prepare. Realize salted coffee is a crime. Do not do this with salted butter. Bleah.

I've been eating coconut oil by the bloody tonne since I was diagnosed with gluten and dairy intolerance. If you had coeliac disease I think you'd already know it, but apparently whereas it affects a very small amount of people, gluten intolerance affects about 15% in some form or other. From what you say, I'd guess it quite likely that you are gluten intolerant, and if that's the case, there's about a 30% chance you are lactose intolerant as well.

Food intolerances go hand in hand with yeast overgrowth (aka Candida). Apparently it's a little bit chicken and egg as to which causes which, but the yeast can create holes in the wall of the gut, which allows food to absorb into the blood stream where it cannot be digested - and is basically broken down by your immune system which thinks it's a pathogen. in addition, the yeast itself creates something like 70 toxins which also put strain on your immune system as it deals with them. The longer you have the problem, the more systemic the yeast overgrowth becomes. The stress on your immune system causes internal inflammation, and masses of symptoms, such as allergies, skin conditions, fatigue, leading all the way to depression and anxiety.

I wouldn't treat it as a simple case of "I have a gluten intolerance so I don't eat it anymore" - get tests done for yeast overgrowth, because if you have it, you'll just end up developing intolerances to other foods as well. The process of getting rid of it sucks, btw - the candida cleanse diet is a miserable experience, but worth every moment if it gets rid of the little bastards.

Oh, and one more thing - don't make the mistake I made of thinking that everything in the gluten free section in your supermarket must be healthy. A lot of it is full of shit that ought to put it n the same shelf as Monster and Red Bull.

Thats what I thought until I stumbled on Gluten Ataxia and reading the forums etc lots of people who test positive for Coeliacs don't get the classic acute GI effects. The affect is more chronic and neurological hence the potential association with MS.

Anyway thanks for the Info and yes I avoid the gluten free section and prepare 99.9% of my food from base ingredients.

I don't think im lactose intolerant but may ask the doc for the test if this round of testing doesn't reveal anything.

I purchased a 5kg bag of vital wheat gluten the other day to make seitan - I best not be intolerant as the bag is fookin' HUGE!

Thats what I thought until I stumbled on Gluten Ataxia and reading the forums etc lots of people who test positive for Coeliacs don't get the classic acute GI effects. The affect is more chronic and neurological hence the potential association with MS.

Anyway thanks for the Info and yes I avoid the gluten free section and prepare 99.9% of my food from base ingredients.

I don't think im lactose intolerant but may ask the doc for the test if this round of testing doesn't reveal anything.

Good luck with it whatever it turns out to be, and please update the thread when you know more. For me it literally turned my life upside down, but now I'm starting to see the effects of it I wouldn't have it any other way. At the age of 40 I'm finding that issues I've had since being a kid are suddenly disappearing. That's a right result :)

Wow, I wish I'd read this post last year! That mirrors my research exactly - I had a weird skin condition appear between my fingers about 18 months ago, doctors were pretty clueless, gave me athlete's foot cream and then, when that did bug*er all, a steroid cream (which I binned - not a solution at all).

To cut a very very long story short, I did tons of research and discovered the possible link with candida in the gut, as you outline above, and that this could be causing the itchy flaky rash that was now spreading quickly over my hand. I cut out bread and sugary foods, and the thing disappeared within a week. Reinforced my belief that GPs are only worth consulting if you're in pain or worried about something serious and need a referral. For this kind of stuff they are worse than useless.

Also a coconut oil eater here. As a result of reading that this is some kind of wonder food with all sorts of beneficial properties and which may also have anti-candida properties, I started adding this to my breakfast each day. I like the taste (best to buy organic stuff, and absolutely DO NOT eat anything sold in places like Boots or Superdrug as these are denatured and full of nasties) and I swear that it's made me feel healthier, though not sure how to describe it, more energy perhaps? And for those worried about the saturated fat or weight gain, I personally don't believe that all saturated fats are bad for you, and I'm the slimmest I've been since my teens.

Coconut oil gives me severe intestinal problems, not diarrohea, but cramps and the feeling of always wanting to evacuate. It's so bad I have to avoid dishes with a small amount of it, like Thia green curry.

Wow, I wish I'd read this post last year! That mirrors my research exactly - I had a weird skin condition appear between my fingers about 18 months ago, doctors were pretty clueless, gave me athlete's foot cream and then, when that did bug*er all, a steroid cream (which I binned - not a solution at all).

To cut a very very long story short, I did tons of research and discovered the possible link with candida in the gut, as you outline above, and that this could be causing the itchy flaky rash that was now spreading quickly over my hand. I cut out bread and sugary foods, and the thing disappeared within a week. Reinforced my belief that GPs are only worth consulting if you're in pain or worried about something serious and need a referral. For this kind of stuff they are worse than useless.

Also a coconut oil eater here. As a result of reading that this is some kind of wonder food with all sorts of beneficial properties and which may also have anti-candida properties, I started adding this to my breakfast each day. I like the taste (best to buy organic stuff, and absolutely DO NOT eat anything sold in places like Boots or Superdrug as these are denatured and full of nasties) and I swear that it's made me feel healthier, though not sure how to describe it, more energy perhaps? And for those worried about the saturated fat or weight gain, I personally don't believe that all saturated fats are bad for you, and I'm the slimmest I've been since my teens.

Yep, like you, my faith in GPs has been adversely affected, not least because a common cause of yeast overgrowth is excessive exposure to antibiotics, which was absolutely the case for me as a kid. I can't blame the doctors back then as I don't think this link was even known that long ago, but it's known now and I still see doctors throwing antibiotics at patients without good reason.

I also agree on the saturated fats - since changing my diet my abs have been more pronounced than ever, despite the fact that I eat a huge amount of coconut oil, lard and (unheated) olive oil. I suppose it's possible that I might just drop dead of a massive coronary one day, but I'm feeling pretty good on it right now :P

The biggest problem I've encountered is that because I'm into weight training, I really struggle to get enough calories on the whole food diet. For anyone else in the same boat, I've found that home made Thai curry (lots of cocunut milk) and quinoa or buckwheat is a great way to bang in 1200 calories in a single meal. And it's fantastic for breakfast :lol:

God I'm already a Candida bore...

Coconut oil gives me severe intestinal problems, not diarrohea, but cramps and the feeling of always wanting to evacuate. It's so bad I have to avoid dishes with a small amount of it, like Thia green curry.

I was typing my post as you wrote this - guess it's just not for you.

God I'm already a Candida bore...

:D

I previously never considered that I might be suffering from candida, as many of the symptoms are gastrointestinal and I've never had any of those, only the skin rash. But it's testament to the theory that the rash is kept at bay by me not eating wheat or sugary foods. Whenever I do (mostly accidentally for the wheat, or just through giving in to my occasional sweet tooth) then I get some tiny pinpoint-sized blisters on that area of my hand that are the preliminary stages of a rash. These soon disappear if I then return to abstinence, but it goes to show that the underlying problem is still there, somewhat dormant in my system. So I'm presuming there is persistence of the candida at some level, but I don't really want to undergo a candida elimination diet, they sound like hell to me.

:D

I previously never considered that I might be suffering from candida, as many of the symptoms are gastrointestinal and I've never had any of those, only the skin rash. But it's testament to the theory that the rash is kept at bay by me not eating wheat or sugary foods. Whenever I do (mostly accidentally for the wheat, or just through giving in to my occasional sweet tooth) then I get some tiny pinpoint-sized blisters on that area of my hand that are the preliminary stages of a rash. These soon disappear if I then return to abstinence, but it goes to show that the underlying problem is still there, somewhat dormant in my system. So I'm presuming there is persistence of the candida at some level, but I don't really want to undergo a candida elimination diet, they sound like hell to me.

Well everybody has a certain amount of candida, it's a much needed part of our gut flora composition. The problems occur when the candida / yeast become more prolific than the "good" flora. So it's possible that your body is just very good at rebalancing when you ease off the sugars, but to really know for sure you'd need to get lab tests done, and that's expensive for something that you seem able to regulate yourself.

I know I said the diet is miserable - that's probably a bit of over dramatisation. It's actually very similar to the Paleo diet. To be honest the biggest issue I have with it is the time it takes - I seem to spend half my life in the kitchen. I have a video from a paleo site to watch this weekend where a self confessed lazy guy demonstrates how to minimise the time and effort involved. I'm really hoping that lives up to the expectation!

Sorry for derailing the thread btw Kurt, but I guess the two are closely linked.

Have had minor skin conditions all my life. On and off. Cut back on wheat and fairy few years back. Definitely seen an improvement.

Did notice recently a similar thing between my fingers. This has coincided with me giving up beer during the week. However that has also left me with a serious sugar desire most evenings - leading to sugar snacks.

Its pretty obvious its all related.

Also got steroid cream from doc but not helping much.

in which coconut oil is one of several eye-wateringly expensive ingredients (around $15 a jar).

Whaaaaaaaaat? 60p from lidl, or a couple of quid in an asian supermarket at most.

I seem to spend half my life in the kitchen. I have a video from a paleo site to watch this weekend where a self confessed lazy guy demonstrates how to minimise the time and effort involved. I'm really hoping that lives up to the expectation!

Sorry for derailing the thread btw Kurt, but I guess the two are closely linked.

Why does it take so long (to prepare) and how long do you have to do it for? Can't you just live on coconut cappuccinos for a while?

edit: that's funny, i must have typed cocunt or something and the software edited it out