House Price Crash Forum

The Perfect Steak

okaycuckoo

HOLA441

Interesting tips here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/how-to-grill-a-steak-guide-food-lab.html?ref=search

My way - medium rare:

Sirloins, grain-fed, full of fat.

Salt their surface evening before.

Sear steaks on a cast-iron pan, full heat with a bit of melted butter ghee. 2 mins each side.

Rest steaks under tinfoil, knobs of butter on top, 8 mins.

Use the pan-crud to make sauce with the run off from the steaks + water, cream, wine - whatever.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Interesting tips here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/how-to-grill-a-steak-guide-food-lab.html?ref=search

My way - medium rare:

Sear steaks on a cast-iron pan, full heat with a bit of melted butter ghee. 2 mins each side.

Use the pan-crud to make sauce with the run off from the steaks + water, cream, wine - whatever.

Very good but I can't see Egon Ronay describing his sauce as being made form "pan-crud".

HOLA443
HOLA444

My way - medium rare:

Not a lot different for me except...

Peppered, with more cracked peppercorns than seems sane

cast iron skillet, butter, hotter than seems sane, medium rare, some shallots after the steak, deglazecrud with red wine

HOLA445

Perfect steak?

You forgot the main thing.

Fly to Argentina, if not then Brazil.

Buy steak......

It's not the same when you buy it in Europe imported from there.

A grass-fed Aberdeen Angus comes close, but still.

Don't know what's so damned special about Argentinian cows, but there it is, if you don't believe me, go and try.

HOLA446

I've recently gone back to grilling my steaks - I could never the fat crispy when frying them - or even get the fat cooked enough to eat most of the time - I love the fat!

From what I've seen on TV (Man v Food etc) steaks in America are quite different to ours - the cuts don't seem to match up exactly - so I think the sirloin referred to may be more like our rump steak - and they are grain fed rather than grass fed and use growth hormones, all of which I think makes them richer and tastier. I remember Heston Blumenthal complaining he couldn't get steaks here like in America.

HOLA447
HOLA448

what makes the difference is how they are aged as well as what they are fed on.

I used to wonder why us steak tasted so much better than uk, after all, it's just a hunk of meat right ?

I've recently gone back to grilling my steaks - I could never the fat crispy when frying them - or even get the fat cooked enough to eat most of the time - I love the fat!

From what I've seen on TV (Man v Food etc) steaks in America are quite different to ours - the cuts don't seem to match up exactly - so I think the sirloin referred to may be more like our rump steak - and they are grain fed rather than grass fed and use growth hormones, all of which I think makes them richer and tastier. I remember Heston Blumenthal complaining he couldn't get steaks here like in America.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Was at Peter Luger few years back. Very impressive.

As for my own. Usually ribeye. I rub all over with olive oil, cracked black pepper, chopped fresh garlic and rosemary.

Leave in fridge for good few hours at least. Then take out and Leave to warm for bout an hour.

Griddle pan on medium heat. Brush off most of the steak coverings, but not all. Then sprinkle on a lot of sea salt.

Fry either side for minute or so each. Just till its bit brown. Them put on plate and crank up pan to max. Once it starts to smoke then put steak back on.Minute per side until its done. This depends on thickness but usually just maybe one or two each. Give it a squeeze to work out when ready at medium rare. Take off put on plate (different from previous plate ) under foil and rest for at least 5 minutes.

Them serve - there will be juice on the plate - i just pour that over. Don't add anything else.

Tried numerous ways of doing steaks and i find this the best for good ribeye. Doesn't seem to work for other cuts though . Its different from most methods that have you putting it on high heat straight away. Works for me anyway.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Ps Tesco steaks are pish imo.

I find the best are actually from Scotmid/co-op.

Got a sirloin from a local butcher yesterday so will see how that fares.

What exactly are you going to do with it? Now we all hear your banter. I reckon you will cut it into a naughty lady part shape, and lick it for half an hour, uncooked! ;)

HOLA4417

What exactly are you going to do with it? Now we all hear your banter. I reckon you will cut it into a naughty lady part shape, and lick it for half an hour, uncooked! ;)

I was thinking of eating it - however i will keep your idea in mind.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Ps Tesco steaks are pish imo.

I find the best are actually from Scotmid/co-op.

Got a sirloin from a local butcher yesterday so will see how that fares.

We've started going to a butcher's again, for beef especially, in the last few months.

We get lovely rump steak for £14.50 per kg - really tasty and cuts like butter when medium rare. So much better in every respect than the supermarkets. And fantastic topside and rib of beef as well at good prices.

HOLA4421

Saintsbury's Taste the Difference aged ribeye steaks are very good and not too pricey, about 6 quid apiece.

They come vacuum packed and look an unprepossessing colour in the packaging, but are miles better than their cheaper bright red fresh packed alternatives. Not that I can justify steak that often, you understand, what with recession and all.

Best steak I've had in a restaurant in the UK was probably Gauchos in Piccadilly circus, a true temple of carnivorism.

I struggled to finish a fantastic 1 3/4 pound ribeye there (shouldn't have ordered the chips) a few years ago for about 40 quid (just the meat). It's probably gone up since then.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Blue - cook just enough to remove the chef's fingerprints, then stop.

Or slap it a few times with your knob.

Everyone on this forum is insane.

Summary of tips from the original link:

1. Start with the right cut (I prefer ribeye).
  2. Check for marbling (you want plenty of intramuscular fat).
  3. Buy a thick steak (at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches).
  4. Bone in or boneless, it doesn't make a difference—this is totally a matter of personal choice (I prefer bone-in).
  5. Get dry aged beef (unless you don't enjoy the extra tenderness or slightly funky flavor of dry-aged meat).
  6. Salt in advance and salt well (I season mine four days in advance, but you want to go at a minimum of 40 minutes).
  7. Use hardwood coal if you've got it, but briquettes will work just fine.
  8. Cook your meat gently, then sear at the end (this'll give you more evenly cooked meat and a better crust).
  9. Flip your meat as often as you like (the whole thing about only flipping once is utter nonsense, and we can prove it).
  10. Use a thermometer if you have one, but if not, go ahead and poke or cut-and-peek (it won't adversely harm the end product).
  11. Let your meat rest (your meat should rest for about 1/3 of the time it took to cook in order to prevent excess moisture loss).

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived