House Price Crash Forum
Bear Goggles

14 Bleak Economic Facts That Will Enrage Every 20-Something

Here's a link to Buzzfeed:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dlknowles/15-graphs-to-scare-any-20s-something-fm44

In case you are over 30 and wondering, Buzzfeed is what the younger generation use to get news snippets/ summaries and links, and keep up with general internet memes and stuff.

They have just made a big noise about the fact that they have recently employed journalists to write stories about more "serious" issues like politics and economics. Buzzfeed is currently running at around 85m visits per month!

The audience is most definitely not the baby boomer generation, and it is striking how different their economic coverage is to the incumbent "mainstream" media.

And if you're even too lazy to read an article designed for people don't like reading long articles, here's the 3 that are most relevant to house prices:

7. But your rent seems to go up quite a lot every year too.

What are you doing reading this? You should be desperately refreshing SpareRoom.com to find that perfect windowless closet just half an hour walk from the nearest bus stop for £700 per month.

8. And you will never be able to afford to buy a house.

The Germans can afford to buy homes. Perhaps we should all move to Germany.

9. Old people: they own all of the homes.

Good luck prying them out of their enormous mansions.

Nuff said.

Here's a link to Buzzfeed:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dlknowles/15-graphs-to-scare-any-20s-something-fm44

In case you are over 30 and wondering, Buzzfeed is what the younger generation use to get news snippets/ summaries and links, and keep up with general internet memes and stuff.

They have just made a big noise about the fact that they have recently employed journalists to write stories about more "serious" issues like politics and economics. Buzzfeed is currently running at around 85m visits per month!

The audience is most definitely not the baby boomer generation, and it is striking how different their economic coverage is to the incumbent "mainstream" media.

It is pensions and housing that are the key. Nothing pisses me off more than a pile of soon to be retirees going on about how they have 'paid in all their lives' and so deserve every freebie that they can get their hands off.

They do not seem to appreciate they whilst they have of course paid in all their lives, the money they have had spent on them by the state over their live time nowhere near covers anything that they have had back in services.

We don't have that sort of State now. They give next to nothing back. :ph34r:

as a thirty one year old I resent having buzzfeed explained to me! I know what it is! ;)

I'm not that old! (Booo hooooo hoooo, why can't I be 21 again!) :P

Actually, I'm significantly older than thirty one, but it's my job to know that these things exist!

What I'm doing by posting this is reaffirming my observation of what I think I have begun to witness over the past year or two: The beginning of the decline of the baby boomers' social and political influence. Obviously they still have quite a lot of financial influence, but that is going to wane over the coming years too. The narrative of the younger generation is beginning to shine through and it is very different to the one we've been annoyed reading in the media, or bored listening to around the dinner table until now. It will only grow over the coming years as the "priced out" generation grow larger too, the oldest of whom are now pushing 40.

The next chapter in this story is when politicians finally start to get it, which will be around the time when focus group participation reaches critical mass, I guess.

The next chapter in this story is when politicians finally start to get it, which will be around the time when focus group participation reaches critical mass, I guess.

Some do, WIlletts wrote a book.

Unfortunately that eventual group realisation (or more likely choice that they ought to pretend to care about this instead of whatever else) comes too late. Many lives have been made much worse because of this and I for one won't suddenly start supporting the same scum that have been stifling my life all these years just because they are suddenly forced to pretend to care about me because it will then suit them to do so.

Those aged 15 to 40 now are not going to forget what they've done, this half of the population will likely go through life spitting on politicians whenever the opportunity arises and voter turn out will be very low for the forseeable future in my opinion.

Its gone so far it won't be a matter of getting us to vote for them rather than the other guy, it will a matter of getting us back into believing in 'democracy' at all. Perhaps something better will fill the void. Or something worse.

Some do, WIlletts wrote a book.

Those aged 15 to 40 now are not going to forget what they've done, this half of the population will likely go through life spitting on politicians whenever the opportunity arises and voter turn out will be very low for the forseeable future in my opinion.

Its gone so far it won't be a matter of getting us to vote for them rather than the other guy, it will a matter of getting us back into believing in 'democracy' at all. Perhaps something better will fill the void. Or something worse.

I'm afraid people a little older than that also have lost faith in politicians. :angry:

"Big hands, big hands take all they can! All for themselves. All for themselves!"

"Everything counts in large amounts!"

Now name that tune! B)

It is pensions and housing that are the key. Nothing pisses me off more than a pile of soon to be retirees going on about how they have 'paid in all their lives' and so deserve every freebie that they can get their hands off.

They do not seem to appreciate they whilst they have of course paid in all their lives, the money they have had spent on them by the state over their live time nowhere near covers anything that they have had back in services.

Don't forget. The money they were 'paying in' was not being saved but spent on roads, schools, hospitals etc. that they benefited from in their life times. Now the pension contributions of the 20 and 30 year olds are not being spent in the same way but instead used to pay the pensions of those in retirement.

Don't forget. The money they were 'paying in' was not being saved but spent on roads, schools, hospitals etc. that they benefited from in their life times. Now the pension contributions of the 20 and 30 year olds are not being spent in the same way but instead used to pay the pensions of those in retirement.

Actually I think a lot of it goes on paying for Tony's war. You don't think that was free? :blink:

Also ludicrous PFI schemes, renting hospitals until the end of time, when they could have been built!

And BTW, that is always the way the "State Pension Scheme" worked. It was not an investment, but a redistribution!

Bet you can't afford to keep your gran when she's old? :huh:

Guest unfunded_liability

I'm afraid people a little older than that also have lost faith in politicians. :angry:

"Big hands, big hands take all they can! All for themselves. All for themselves!"

Now name that tune! B)

It's a competitive world, dontcha know.

The soon to be retirees are bad enough but the long retired are even worse. I have relatives who have worked for 30 or 40 years and been retired for 30 and 20 years. ie uni then work then retirement at 50+ or before 65 and now late 80s. They live in property that on their jobs they could never buy today or even in the last ten years as they had average jobs say (today) 25k and house worth 750k or 30 x their ave yearly salary. Still they think they have worked for all they have and pop down to the 'club' for their daily lunch subsidised by the taxpayer in the taxpayer funded taxi. They can still use the upstairs in their four bed house as the council have fitted a stair lift.

Look we've earned it ;) . Incidentally I have got a great aunt who started claiming widow's pension in 1960....53 year later she is 96. So somebody has got to pay for it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/396387/Iain-Duncan-Smith-Pensioners-have-all-earned-their-universal-benefits

Jeez you young'uns haven't you heard of the magic money tree, just ask any retired worker on their 30th year of drawing a pension and they will happily explain.

Edited by crashmonitor

Now name that tune! B)

Ah, I've got it. No, I haven't. But it'll come back to me... It's just A Question Of Time.

Now name that tune! B)

You already did - first part of the last line of your poorly-recalled lyrics. ;)

Edit to add:

Help 1- the lyrics

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

Look we've earned it ;) . Incidentally I have got a great aunt who started claiming widow's pension in 1960....53 year later she is 96. So somebody has got to pay for it.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/396387/Iain-Duncan-Smith-Pensioners-have-all-earned-their-universal-benefits

Jeez you young'uns haven't you heard of the magic money tree, just ask any retired worker on their 30th year of drawing a pension and they will happily explain.

A life time of votes to the parties that act for them......a good deal that....getting one good one, is well worth giving two bad ones away....everyone is scratching each others backs....giving of instant privileges is not the same having real power over the things that really matter.......who holds the real power, who holds the purse strings?

Now name that tune! B)

"The grabbing hands grab all they can, all for themselves after all ..."

"The grabbing hands grab all they can, all for themselves after all ..."

I couldn't remember is was Depeche Mode! I missed the 80s, due to the 70s. :huh:

I don't think that the young realise that their 25% deposit they have saved over the last few years to buy an average house would have bought an average house in 1970 ie the whole house not just provide a deposit with a 75% millstone to add to the 30k student loan debt.

By the same token I don't think many of the older population quite realise just how expensive housing is compared to when they bought. All they see are low interest rates and perceive that all the young are blowing their money on ipods and mobiles (ok, I admit some of them are but not all - and no different I am sure to the older generation 'wasting' their money on records and flares etc).