House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubblyhouse

Erroneous Transfer British Gas

Hey, I was wondering if someone experienced this problem? It is amazing how much these energy companies don't want to take their responsibilities and their lack of transparence is reflecting how little they care. Anybody would have any advice about how to be successful in claiming compensations from both part? In my case it is Spark that took over and they have even less good ratings on sites about their customer service. We just don't get any answers back and the money spent on phone is not good!

Hey, I was wondering if someone experienced this problem? It is amazing how much these energy companies don't want to take their responsibilities and their lack of transparence is reflecting how little they care. Anybody would have any advice about how to be successful in claiming compensations from both part? In my case it is Spark that took over and they have even less good ratings on sites about their customer service. We just don't get any answers back and the money spent on phone is not good!

:blink:

:unsure:

:rolleyes:

I've seen more comprehensible first posts.

Welcome to HPC, BTW.

No

It's not really very clear what happened.

Our gas is with EDF I think.

If I got a bill from someone else for gas, I'd probably just ignore it. I might send them an email and consider the case closed.

Separately I'd put the money into an account and wait for a bill from EDF.

Eventually I guess the "new" company would start hassling about non payment, at which point I would invite them to prove that I had a contract with them and I would then happily pay them.

Since they would not be able to prove such a contract they would not get paid.

It's not really very clear what happened.

Our gas is with EDF I think.

If I got a bill from someone else for gas, I'd probably just ignore it. I might send them an email and consider the case closed.

Separately I'd put the money into an account and wait for a bill from EDF.

Eventually I guess the "new" company would start hassling about non payment, at which point I would invite them to prove that I had a contract with them and I would then happily pay them.

Since they would not be able to prove such a contract they would not get paid.

EDF closed our online account so we could not pay our bill.

We told them that there should be a mistake and then they told us to check with our letting agency why there was a transfer.

It turns out that Spark took our accounts over. We told BG not to transfer the account, as we did not consent to that.

They just never acted on anything and told us to get this sorted and sent us the final bill.

We paid the final bill, as we cannot afford a bad credit rating.

Spark was told of the problem and never came back to us in any way after telling us that they will sort this out.

Well, we are now at least 6 weeks in this problem and all they good at is asking me to check my meters number!

How can this happen? The best of all, last night; I phoned British Gas to talk to the person that is now dealing with m compensation claim and

I was told she was on the phone! I said I could wait as I am already losing money trying to sort this situation out (phone bill with Spark (1-hour wait minimum before talking to someone)).

Then I decided to talk to this person that just was not able to bring any information about how the meter numbers got communicated to Spark. Anyhow, I phone back again and another employee told me that my contact does not work on Wednesday! I just like lies as a customer.

What else do you think I am expecting from BG? Have you seen their rating on line for their customer service? It appears that I am dealing with two of the worth companies when it comes down to something else than sending bills for your consumption!

Yes.

I think Spark are used by some letting agencies. The LA gets a kickback from Spark by putting the property's utilities with them, then Spark charges the tenants ridiculous prices, or something like that. Maybe you should try posting your problem in the 'All about renting' subforum:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=36

I think Spark are used by some letting agencies. The LA gets a kickback from Spark by putting the property's utilities with them, then Spark charges the tenants ridiculous prices, or something like that. Maybe you should try posting your problem in the 'All about renting' subforum:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=36

I've heard of this. Spark also seem to take an age over transferring to a new provider, so the tenant in the meantime is paying well over the odds for utilities in order to give kickbacks to the LL. It seems that some lettings agents will en masse sign up properties to Spark as the default supplier. Foxtons, Your Move & Reed Rains are mentioned below.

I'd encourage people to ask whether Spark are a supplier before renting a place as it seems this can cost people hundreds of quid in rip off rates while the switching process takes place. Spark are not a generating company, they are just an admin outfit to rake it in on a spread between buying wholesale in the market and ripping off retail customers, with the cover of a weeks-long beaurocratic process ensuring they get their kickbacks back and then some.

Would people be surprised if it was revealed that they were set up by Letting Agents in the first place?

Thought not. Seems they attracted OfGem's attention this summer, but what becomes of it I've no idea.

http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/news/2013/05/16/spark-energy-responds-to-watchdog-probe/

http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/news/2013/may/spark-energy-complaints-landlords-and-letting-agents-criticised-as-ofgem-ponders-probe/

Avoid these cowboys like the plague.

And as someone said up thread, if you've not signed a contract with Spark, you don't owe them anything.

However, I'm assuming letting agents don't slip one in to be signed next to the rental contract and hope people sign without reading. But as LAs are evil and people are dumb, they probably do.

EDF closed our online account so we could not pay our bill.

We told them that there should be a mistake and then they told us to check with our letting agency why there was a transfer.

It turns out that Spark took our accounts over. We told BG not to transfer the account, as we did not consent to that.

They just never acted on anything and told us to get this sorted and sent us the final bill.

We paid the final bill, as we cannot afford a bad credit rating.

Spark was told of the problem and never came back to us in any way after telling us that they will sort this out.

Well, we are now at least 6 weeks in this problem and all they good at is asking me to check my meters number!

How can this happen? The best of all, last night; I phoned British Gas to talk to the person that is now dealing with m compensation claim and

I was told she was on the phone! I said I could wait as I am already losing money trying to sort this situation out (phone bill with Spark (1-hour wait minimum before talking to someone)).

Then I decided to talk to this person that just was not able to bring any information about how the meter numbers got communicated to Spark. Anyhow, I phone back again and another employee told me that my contact does not work on Wednesday! I just like lies as a customer.

What else do you think I am expecting from BG? Have you seen their rating on line for their customer service? It appears that I am dealing with two of the worth companies when it comes down to something else than sending bills for your consumption!

Unless anyone else has cause to prove differently, I'd say that "dealing with two companies" is the wrong approach.

You had a contract with BG to supply you. They have elected not to send you any more bills.

You have no contract with "Spark" so personally I wouldn't even speak to them. If they persist then I'd drop them a letter stating same, and that any further contact shall be considered "harassment" and pursued (you can probably download template letters for that sort of thing, I've had this when e.g. debt collection agency pursued me for £75 five years after we closed a Sky account, money we did not owe).

Where this probably becomes tricky is when "Spark" instruct someone to come out and disconnect the supply for non payment. If this is a Letting Agent "scam" then I am guessing that this is not the intended outcome ;)

I came across this - note mention of "tenants", which seems to support what's been posted:

http://www.sparkener...ir-energy_36368

.. and this confirms it:

We manage the change of supply and change of tenant process for your entire property portfolio. We'll pay you for the pleasure and you can keep track of how we're doing through monthly reports. What's more, we support you and reduce your admin with a single point of contact, a great deal for your tenants and no bills for empty properties.

http://www.sparkenergy.co.uk/your-home/about-us/letting-agent-partners/corporate-partner-programme

The Money Saving Expert and other consumer type forums might be worth a look. A quick search turns up this

http://forums.moneys...itch+permission

This happened to my mother. Transferred in error, and the new provider started sending bills. They were duly ignored. Eventually they got pissy, and I got involved. There was an amsuing moment in the call when I had asked "do you have anything in writing from my mother" (she's old, so it is possible she signed something). Yes, they said, we've for a signature from Mr T Smith, er, that's not your mother is it. No, I said, so all those bills can go in the bin and you transfer us back to previous provider, that would be dandy. They complied, didn't have a leg to stand on.

We tried the approach we only talk to British Gas, but they do not want to do anything with this.

The thing is that we want Spark to talk to us, but they don´t!

I am now in the process of finding out how our meter numbers go communicated to Spark.

There is a database for gaz (xoserve) and one for electricity (ecoes).

That is the place where energy companies go to get details.

I will find out how my details got to Spark as it might be the Letting agency mistake.

It is just wrong the lack of transparency as this is quite a simple matter that we tried to stop in first place!

We tried the approach we only talk to British Gas, but they do not want to do anything with this.

The thing is that we want Spark to talk to us, but they don´t!

I am now in the process of finding out how our meter numbers go communicated to Spark.

There is a database for gaz (xoserve) and one for electricity (ecoes).

That is the place where energy companies go to get details.

I will find out how my details got to Spark as it might be the Letting agency mistake.

It is just wrong the lack of transparency as this is quite a simple matter that we tried to stop in first place!

So far as I see, you now have a free supply. You're not bound to pay Spark anything and BG have voluntarily decided to stop sending you bills.

I can see in that OFGEM investigation that the landlord inserts a clause into the tenancy contract that you shall take supplies from Spark. It even hints that you're automatically put on the direct debit tariff. This would seem to imply that the landlord passes on your bank details. You cannot be signed up to a direct debit by a third party. There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to begin.

As far as I know, nothing that the landlord inserts into the contract affects your right as a tenant to choose your utility supplier. Do have a look at your tenancy contract and that MSE thread.

As you've had no help from BG if I were in your position I'd pick a supplier, make a note of the meter reading *now*, open an account with someone else of your choosing, give them the reading, and wait for them to start billing you. In the meantime I'd refuse any contact with Spark and send them that letter about harassment.

As the property is the landlord's, if you get a warning about being cut off, I'd forward that over to the landlord with a strongly worded letter to the effect that their actions appear to have precipitated this (check your facts) and quite soon they will end up with a property with no utility supply and no tenant either - perhaps they would like to pay Spark what they're asking for in order to prevent this.

Keep written records of everything and do not do anything at all over the phone.

Slightly OT,but this was one of the funniest threads regarding a gas bill I've ever seen..

www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23919

Keep written records of everything and do not do anything at all over the phone.

Worth repeating, as with most disputes: