House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest eight

Lightning Strikes Twice?

Guest eight

Even those of you who don't follow Motorsport might have been aware of the death of Maria de Villota last week as a result of injuries sustained in a horrible accident last year.

Today brings news of the death of British driver Sean Edwards in what looks like an awful accident in Australia.

Their respective fathers were not only contemporaries but also rivals in the short lived British Formula 1 championship. They even shared a car at the 1981 24 hours of Le Mans. Guy Edwards is most famous for aiding in the rescue of Niki Lauda from his burning car at the Nurburgring in 1976, and was portrayed by his son in the recent film Rush.

Probably wont mean much to anybody else but it certainly took the wind out of my sails when I heard the news today. Just seems so cruel.

Guest eight

Motor racing is an exceptionally dangerous sport.

Well quite. But tragic and odd that the fathers should survive one of the most dangerous periods in the sport's history only for their children to die as a result of freak accidents, and just days apart.

Motor racing is an exceptionally dangerous sport.

bit boring at the top end...indeed, I would say very boring.

bit boring at the top end...indeed, I would say very boring.

Indeed, one of my mates likes F1, and I sometimes watch it with him, but I'd rather see rally cars, or sidecar racing!

Down here, it's all tractor Polo, played with a hoe and a large cheese! ;)

Guest eight

Is it really that dangerous these days ?

Not as bad as it was. You really do see people get away with quite collosal accidents these days. That's why most fatalities now seem to be really freak occurrences.

Guest eight

Indeed, one of my mates likes F1, and I sometimes watch it with him, but I'd rather see rally cars, or sidecar racing!

Down here, it's all tractor Polo, played with a hoe and a large cheese! ;)

Every sport is better played with a hoe.

Not as bad as it was. You really do see people get away with quite collosal accidents these days. That's why most fatalities now seem to be really freak occurrences.

Was just thinking you don't hear much about deaths. Seem a rare occurance.

Edwards was in a GT car, as was Simonsen when he died at Le Mans this year.

I wonder if the prototype/F1 monococque based cars are inherently safer than ones derived (albeit heavily modified) from road going variants. You'd expect them to be more robust given the extra performance but perhaps they are the safest overall.

A look at the crashes of McNish and Rockenfeller from Le Mans 2011(?) shows the collosal impact-absorbing capabilities of the best cars these days. Scarcely credible that they both escaped with minor injuries.

The GT cars by comparison may be lacking a bit in fundamental structural rigidity, although I dunno. Perhaps their performance is outstripping safety developments' ability to moderate the extra risks.

All said and done, having a 600hp+ motor in a car that weighs 1.5 tonnes is going to kill some people eventually.

edit typos

Every sport is better played with a hoe.

That's a hoe, not a ho! ;)

Isle of Man TT racers....a terrible waste of human life.

Would like to go next year.

One of my mates goes every year! It is his Ramadan, but with beer!! I believe he goes on a 1974 Kawasaki H2, which doesn't sound very economical! :huh:

Guest eight

All said and done, having a 600hp+ motor in a car that weighs 1.5 tonnes is going to kill some people eventually.

edit typos

The only thing I would say about GT cars is that the driver is not likely to be sitting quite so centrally. Indeed Edwards was actually a passenger in this fatal accident, which just makes it even more tragic. The driver survived but was trapped for more than two hours.

If you look at the Davidson accident from last year you see that the GT Ferrari makes much more mess of the barrier than the Prototype car does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jJB6viADM

Re: Simonsen, I've actually done exactly the same thing in Forza. That wall looks miles away, until you clip the inside kerb....

The only thing I would say about GT cars is that the driver is not likely to be sitting quite so centrally. Indeed Edwards was actually a passenger in this fatal accident, which just makes it even more tragic. The driver survived but was trapped for more than two hours.

If you look at the Davidson accident from last year you see that the GT Ferrari makes much more mess of the barrier than the Prototype car does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jJB6viADM

Re: Simonsen, I've actually done exactly the same thing in Forza. That wall looks miles away, until you clip the inside kerb....

Good point about more central seating position in protypes etc.

Dunno what to make of the greater GT impact- on one hand, a slower deceleration should reduce injury risks, on the other a greater penetration of the barrier must increase the likelihood of material entering the car. No doubt some get lucky and others don't. Thankfully an uncommon occurence, Dan Wheldon being the last high profile death prior to this year?

I wonder if McNish/Rockenfeller also owe a debt of gratitude to Audi's choice of fuel. Diesel certainly comes into its own if a heavy crash results in a fuel leak.

Good point about more central seating position in protypes etc.

Dunno what to make of the greater GT impact- on one hand, a slower deceleration should reduce injury risks, on the other a greater penetration of the barrier must increase the likelihood of material entering the car. No doubt some get lucky and others don't. Thankfully an uncommon occurence, Dan Wheldon being the last high profile death prior to this year?

I wonder if McNish/Rockenfeller also owe a debt of gratitude to Audi's choice of fuel. Diesel certainly comes into its own if a heavy crash results in a fuel leak.

This is a bad year to be sure. As for prototypes vs production based cars one need only look at Robert Kubica- flew his F1 car into a concrete wall at about 150mph, was a bit wobbly for a couple of weeks. Crashed his rally car into a metal barrier, nearly lost his arm and will probably never drive an F1 car again :(

This is a bad year to be sure. As for prototypes vs production based cars one need only look at Robert Kubica- flew his F1 car into a concrete wall at about 150mph, was a bit wobbly for a couple of weeks.

We're talking about tragedies here but it's really downright amazing some of the things that don't result in a tragic outcome. The very idea that it's possible to build a car that can hit something solid at that speed and not result in death or serious injury is simply amazing.

Guest eight

We're talking about tragedies here but it's really downright amazing some of the things that don't result in a tragic outcome. The very idea that it's possible to build a car that can hit something solid at that speed and not result in death or serious injury is simply amazing.

Here's the McNish one already mentioned. Just plain scary.

Edit. Just seen that BLT has posted the same video, so I've taken the link out of mine.

Quite: