House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

When Involved In Motor Vehicle Accident......

Interesting story from my wife.....

20-something son of friend of hers, who drives a very rough looking and battered, but perfectly road legal, Renault 5 (probably worth no more than £100?) involved in rear end collision.

Said young man gets out of his car inspects damage (trying to discern what was resulting from the shunt from the older existing bumps and knocks!) sees that, miraculously, no meaningful damage done - but front of other, much more expensive, car has non-trivial damage.

Other driver, from apparent look on his face accepting him being to blame, then begins to note down his own personal details....in customary expectation of getting same from young man in return.

Young man shrugs his shoulders, tells older bloke with expensive Audi, that he doesnt care, no damage done to his car, so has no interest in initiating an insurance claim. Audi driver, slightly taken aback, watches as said young chap drives off.

QUESTION: I understand young blokes point of view, i.e. no damage to my car so what do I care, BUT.....has he broken the law? Is he actually required to exchange details? (and YES he does have insurance).

QUESTION: I understand young blokes point of view, i.e. no damage to my car so what do I care, BUT.....has he broken the law? Is he actually required to exchange details? (and YES he does have insurance).

I presume this is true....: In the case of a crash the law states that the drivers must Stop and

Exchange names and addresses of the drivers of the vehicle

Exchange names and addresses of the owners of the vehicle

Exchange details of registration numbers

And in the event of injury, produce a valid certificate of insurance to anyone with reasonable grounds to so require those details.

If not done at the time, then it must be reported in person as soon as practicable but in any case within 24 hours to a police officer.

There is no requirement to exchange insurance details in damage only crashes.

If all they did was swap phone numbers, then they both commit the offence of failing to stop, although if the third party has now reported it to the Police (providing it was within 24 hours) then they have complied with the law.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think you have to inform the police if you have an accident! It's none of their business, and they are too busy filling forms! Only if somebody is injured, and I don't mean fake whiplash. :blink:

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think you have to inform the police if you have an accident! It's none of their business, and they are too busy filling forms! Only if somebody is injured, and I don't mean fake whiplash. :blink:

Last time I had an accident, and all the witnesses drove off (apart from the dinlo who drove into me), I tried to tell the police to just record the fact in case any witnesses came forward. They refused.

Last time I had an accident, and all the witnesses drove off (apart from the dinlo who drove into me), I tried to tell the police to just record the fact in case any witnesses came forward. They refused.

If I've seen an accident happen, I am quite happy to be a witness, and fill in forms, but one of the parties in that smash, may not be happy with that! :huh:

Many years ago I had an old battered Granada which had one of the bloody great towing hooks on the back. It was on there when I bought the car £200 all in with a years MOT if memory serves me right!!

Driving through slow moving traffic one afternoon I felt a jolt at the rear. Looked in the mirror and could see a plume of steam above my rear window.

Got out to investigate and saw a brand new Volvo with my towing hook embedded in his radiator. I pulled forward to asses the damage and noticed the jolt has pushed the hook up about an inch.

I whinged that I wouldn't be able to get my (non existent) caravan on there now where the chap went to his back pocket and asked if £50 would cover it.

Nicely I said took the cash got in the car and drove off, never heard anything from it.

The law says you have to exchange details or report the accident to a police station within 24 hours.

In my cinema days I was once driving between two sites on service visits in my 1981 Fiesta. Its value at the time (1995) was probably around £200. Waiting at a roundabout on the A303 in darkest Wiltshire, myself and a front seat passenger (another employee of the same company) were rear-ended by an effing great, bullbar-clad Range Rover. There wasn't much left of the back of my car afterwards, and to this day I remain profoundly thankful that there were no passengers in the back seat - God really was looking out for us over that one.

Anyway, the twit in the Range Rover - a Camilla Parker-Bowles sort., got out, observed that her vehicle had suffered barely a dent and that, although mine had clearly been written off, it's not as if the insurance claim would be that much. The look on her face when I told her that the boot was crammed full of £80k-worth of cinema audio and other very expensive gear, most of which had been destroyed, was priceless. I later heard from my head office that she was uninsured: she was using her husband's car, the policy on which covered him to drive it only. My company's insurers had to pick up the tab for the kit (my own policy did not cover driving on employer's business, but theirs covered me to use my own car on company business, and so I was covered by that polcy while driving at the time), but I later heard that the woman had been done for driving without insurance.

The law says you have to exchange details or report the accident to a police station within 24 hours.

I'm not sure! :(

Anyway I had a similar shunt, and had a towball! Mighty funny! The other person probably didn't have insurance, or a licence, so I heard no more of it. Also he may have been drunk, as it was Christmas Eve!