House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Staggering Story Of The Healthy Spanish Basketball Team Who Pretended To Be Mentally Handicapped To Win Paralympic Gold

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2458715/Spanish-basketball-team-pretended-disabled-win-Paralympic-gold.html

A former Spanish basketball boss has been found guilty of fraud 13 years after he presided over one of the biggest scandals in sporting history.

Fernando Martin Vicente, the former head of the Spanish Federation for Mentally Handicapped Sports, fielded athletes with no disabilities at the 2000 Paralympics in Sydney in order to win the gold medal.

Jonny Knoxville could do a follow up film.

Anyone that pretends to "mentally handicapped", probably is! I always try to appear "clever" but it fools nobody, because they are more clever than me! :blink:

Anyone that pretends to "mentally handicapped", probably is! I always try to appear "clever" but it fools nobody, because they are more clever than me! :blink:

This was Henning Wehn's premise when he did a sketch on this team. He was saying that wanting to appear to be mentally disabled is a disability in itself.

Ok that's comedy but there are that tiny minority of people who want to be amputees and in some cases have an operation to remove a limb. So I'd say they are disabled even before they have the operation.

Utter insanity. There is no able/disabled. Its a sliding scale. The fact there is a paralypmics is a travesty in of itself.

Well yes it's a sliding scale but what are your options when you are disabled? Sport in which you can participate on equal terms and achieve something significant gives real purpose and substance to your life so I'm happy for some money to be pumped into it.

I don't see it as any different to, say, junior rugby. You're drawing a line around people who should be of similar ability and letting them compete to see who's best.

I don't take any interest in it, but then again nor do I take any interest in 90%+ of sports. Anybody know who's the best able-bodied male hockey player in England? Thought not, and I'm not having a go at hockey there as I used to represent my town.

Well yes it's a sliding scale but what are your options when you are disabled? Sport in which you can participate on equal terms and achieve something significant gives real purpose and substance to your life so I'm happy for some money to be pumped into it.

I don't see it as any different to, say, junior rugby. You're drawing a line around people who should be of similar ability and letting them compete to see who's best.

I don't take any interest in it, but then again nor do I take any interest in 90%+ of sports. Anybody know who's the best able-bodied male hockey player in England? Thought not, and I'm not having a go at hockey there as I used to represent my town.

Not on equal terms though, as evidenced by the kerfuffles about the 'blades' those amputees run on. I dont know how you get round it, or if you do, but I always wonder if who wins paralympic events just happens to be the 'least disabled'

Not on equal terms though, as evidenced by the kerfuffles about the 'blades' those amputees run on. I dont know how you get round it, or if you do, but I always wonder if who wins paralympic events just happens to be the 'least disabled'

Yes, that is indeed what I would also think. But I can't see how the current admittedly fairly ragbag system can be particularly improved on and I wouldn't want teh whole thing scrapped because of it.

This was Henning Wehn's premise when he did a sketch on this team. He was saying that wanting to appear to be mentally disabled is a disability in itself.

Ok that's comedy but there are that tiny minority of people who want to be amputees and in some cases have an operation to remove a limb. So I'd say they are disabled even before they have the operation.

Frank, there are people who buy contact lenses to make them very short-sighted, so they can then buy incredible prescription specs, to be seen in! I got that from an optician, BTW. :huh:

I've never hear of him Frank!

But most good comedy is observation, and then a statement of the obvious!

Utter insanity. There is no able/disabled. Its a sliding scale. The fact there is a paralypmics is a travesty in of itself.

What gets me is where the athlete has a very small handicap compared to the vast majority of the other competitors. For example sarah Storey? she has a hand missing but this wouldn't make much odds on a TT or road race (unless the course was extremely twisty and thinking more of the paralympics racing here) I think she's won national level track races and TT's (abled bodied) and is world class, why can you compete in both in this case?

Could I compete in the paralympics if I was to tape one of my hands up/clenched?

Fair do's shes extremely talented at olympic level at the abled body, christ she absolutely destroyed the competitors at the paralympics.

Henning Wehn is an hpc'er ;)

On Uk Housing 3.08 in..

Observation, and stating the obvious! Excellent! I believe I have heard him on the radio. ;)

What gets me is where the athlete has a very small handicap compared to the vast majority of the other competitors. For example sarah Storey? she has a hand missing but this wouldn't make much odds on a TT or road race (unless the course was extremely twisty and thinking more of the paralympics racing here) I think she's won national level track races and TT's (abled bodied) and is world class, why can you compete in both in this case?

Could I compete in the paralympics if I was to tape one of my hands up/clenched?

Fair do's shes extremely talented at olympic level at the abled body, christ she absolutely destroyed the competitors at the paralympics.

There was one guy a few years back that competed in wheelchair marathons because his legs weren't working properly. His legs recovered but he stayed in the wheelchair for marathons.

Some people were outraged but I don't see any problem with that; it's a level playing field. If anything he's disadvantaged as his legs will carry some heavy muscles that are just dead weight in that race.