House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Best Cheap Android Tablet...

We've had the best cheap PC...now I'm looking for a half decentish tablet...preferably with an HDMI port if possible... I've heard the £99 HP Slate is a bit poor, and I've had a Blackberry Playbook in the past (which broke after a couple of months)... can anyone recommend any good Chinese type imports or similar?

I've always wanted one of these "Android Toilets". I think I saw one in Japan! They wipe your bum lovely! :huh:

Tesco Hudl - very impressed with it for £119.00 and they give you a fiver off a case also.

I have set up several for friends and neighbours in recent days. The Nexus is slightly better but I couldn't justify spending an extra 70 or 80 quid on a Nexus 7 compared to the Hudl. I expect Google will be forced to drop the price of the Nexus.

Tesco Hudl - very impressed with it for £119.00 and they give you a fiver off a case also.

I have set up several for friends and neighbours in recent days. The Nexus is slightly better but I couldn't justify spending an extra 70 or 80 quid on a Nexus 7 compared to the Hudl. I expect Google will be forced to drop the price of the Nexus.

So is the Hudl between the 1st & 2nd gen Nexus?

So is the Hudl between the 1st & 2nd gen Nexus?

Yes, I would say so.

It is slightly heavier than the Nexus 7 2 and the spec is not as good as the Nexus 7 2 but is the Nexus 72 worht 70or 80 quid more? IMPO, it is not.

I found the crispness of reading ebooks on the Hudl to be excellent - crisp text and the pages turn with no lag or blurring which is something I cannot say for ipads.

Suring is also excellent on the Hudl. A neighbour of mine - 84 years old - has an ipad and just bought the Hudl. He appears to prefer the Hudl.

I was impressed with a faux leather case that Tesco sell for it - £20 but a fiver off when you buy the Hudl - which has magnest to turn the Hudl on and off when you close or open the case. I have read that some people have used Tesco vouchers and points to get the Hudl as cheap as £60.

I can see Tesco moving big into this market now offering all sorts of services.

Yes, I would say so.

It is slightly heavier than the Nexus 7 2 and the spec is not as good as the Nexus 7 2 but is the Nexus 72 worht 70or 80 quid more? IMPO, it is not.

I found the crispness of reading ebooks on the Hudl to be excellent - crisp text and the pages turn with no lag or blurring which is something I cannot say for ipads.

Suring is also excellent on the Hudl. A neighbour of mine - 84 years old - has an ipad and just bought the Hudl. He appears to prefer the Hudl.

I was impressed with a faux leather case that Tesco sell for it - £20 but a fiver off when you buy the Hudl - which has magnest to turn the Hudl on and off when you close or open the case. I have read that some people have used Tesco vouchers and points to get the Hudl as cheap as £60.

There's also the Asus Memo...know much about it?

I would never recommend the Nexus 7. The screen on my first gen model cracked while in my pocket on a hot day; Asus refusing to repair it even though it was still under warranty. From reading online, it sounds like I'm not the only one.

Yes, I would say so.

I won't shop at Tesco so that's the Hudl out for me.

I would never recommend the Nexus 7. The screen on my first gen model cracked while in my pocket on a hot day; Asus refusing to repair it even though it was still under warranty. From reading online, it sounds like I'm not the only one.

I wasn't aware of that but have just done a google. Thanks for that - very useful info.

People feeling that the Nexus7 flexs too much and the screen fractures - the replacement basicall costing almost as much as a brand new device.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-2013-rooting-roms-hacks/302671-does-digitizer-break-when-screen-cracked-nexus-7-2013-a.html#post3028474

Has the Hudl got full access to the play store?

What I'm particularly interested in is Lovefilm, does it have that? Also does it support flash?

I have a 7" Kindle which is great, however the app store is locked down and there are large numbers of apps not available, however I do really like the Lovefilm content and app, it's about the only thing I use it regularly for.

Has the Hudl got full access to the play store?

What I'm particularly interested in is Lovefilm, does it have that? Also does it support flash?

I have a 7" Kindle which is great, however the app store is locked down and there are large numbers of apps not available, however I do really like the Lovefilm content and app, it's about the only thing I use it regularly for.

Yes.

Yes. Yes.

Complete tablet novice here, but with that HDMI port, is it possible to connect to a larger flat screen monitor? Is that something that anybody here does, for streaming LoveFilm content or Youtube etc? If so, what are the results like?

Complete tablet novice here, but with that HDMI port, is it possible to connect to a larger flat screen monitor? Is that something that anybody here does, for streaming LoveFilm content or Youtube etc? If so, what are the results like?

Yep, that is the whole point.

You have wireless in your home, you steam video via wireless to your tablet using lovefilm, netflix, youtube, etc, and the video plays on your big flat panel.

Edit: typo.

Yep... It depends on the speed of your broadband...Netflix for instance adjusts its quality depending on this...iplayer needs a minimum of 2 meg for it to work

The Argos device goes on sale in a few days for £99 - Tesco to reduce the price of the Hudl perhaps?

People saying that the extra stuff on the tesco one is worth the £20.

I'm waiting for the charity shop tablet, which comes preloaded with coffee stains, a cracked screen and a host of pre-installed bloatware that slows it to a crawl, all for £25.

Question: what is the point of these things and what do people actually use them for?

Probably just a bit of surfing, buying, watching iplayer, viewing their mates photos on facebook and playing angry crocodiles or whatever the latest fad is.

Let's face it the majority of the world are not computer geeks and in their lesiure time just want a bit of entertainment without having to sit at a desk or sterilise their nuts with a notebook.

For sitting on the sofa surfing while watching telly I can imagine they are great (I dont watch telly).

Probably just a bit of surfing, buying, watching iplayer, viewing their mates photos on facebook and playing angry crocodiles or whatever the latest fad is.

Let's face it the majority of the world are not computer geeks and in their lesiure time just want a bit of entertainment without having to sit at a desk or sterilise their nuts with a notebook.

For sitting on the sofa surfing while watching telly I can imagine they are great (I dont watch telly).

Yep, and hence why somewhere around £100 is about right. These are consumer devices designed to last 18 to 24 months and then buy whatever the latest one is.

I think I will buy a Hudl in a few weeks. I was going to buy a Nexus 7 2 but having read about this crack appearing in the screen I think that there is a design flaw with the current lot.

Question: what is the point of these things and what do people actually use them for?

I recently bought one but only use it when travelling. Got a small Galaxy for £77 at PC World.. Excellent.

Because everyone has smartphones now there are very few internet cafes anyhwere. Most hotels have free wi-fi as do KFC and MacDonalds.

Besides accessing the internet it is useful for watching films on a plane or in a hotel. Has mp3 player for listening to music or podcasts. A still and movie camera as well. GPS tell you where you are on a map. Can look at pdfs. You can point at the night sky and it highlights the stars and planets. Besides that it's pretty useless.