House Price Crash Forum
FreeTrader

Eric Pickles: Brits Must Take Inspiration From Grand Designs And Become A Nation Of 'self-Builders'

Eric Pickles: Brits must take inspiration from Grand Designs and become a nation of 'self-builders'

Britain must become a country where people take inspiration from television programmes like Grand Designs and build their own homes to stop Nimbys protesting about development in rural areas, Eric Pickles has suggested.

The Communities and Local Government Secretary said he will turn the UK into a “nation of self-builders” by offering subsidies and tax breaks to people who create their own home.

The UK must become like countries including Austria, Belgium and Sweden, which “reward” people who choose to build their own property, Mr Pickles said.

He said that helping tens of thousands of people to build their own homes will stop “homogeneous, pasteurised housing” being built across the country.

People in the countryside will then be much less likely to oppose custom built housing than larger developments and estates, Mr Pickles said.

Ministers want one in five homes built in the coming years to be self build projects – up from around 10 per cent last year.

Mr Pickles said that councils will be told to release land to residents hoping to build their own property.

He also said that the Government will reduce red tape so that people trying to build properties will not have to “bang their heads against walls” to get their project off the ground.

People looking to build their own home will be also be exempt from paying controversial planing tariffs and the ‘Community Infrastructure Levy’, which could cut the cost of self-building by thousands of pounds.

More at link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10377653/Eric-Pickles-Brits-must-take-inspiration-from-Grand-Designs-and-become-a-nation-of-self-builders.html

We'd be only to happy to, given the chance, you total and utter ******ing buffoon.

"...so we’re introducing a Council Tax discount for self-built family annexes."

Hmm.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: granny flats for all

Smashing idea.

But as a one time self builder I'd say, show me affordable plots with planning permission?

The truth is Britain's ultra restrictive planning regulations means self build is mainly about detached properties in the £500k+ range.

I'd have happily self-built.

Pig politicians have ensured that plot prices and availble are totally restricted and massively overpriced, so no chance.

Subsidies and tax breaks - ********, only likely to drive development land costs even higher.

Nothing wrong in principle - but only release council owned or green belt land with eased planning laws at givaway prices where CGT will be levied at 100% on any index linked sale proceeds (after deducting the construction and anciliary costs).

This should serve to keep these properties permanently affordable.

Well that made me laugh.

Eric I suggest as Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government that you go and have a chat with all the councils and their planning departments. Without relaxing planning laws this is a non-starter.

In the case of most of the Grand Designs properties it is hard to see how any of the ones in the country got planning permission without the owner;

a, being a local councillor or connected to one.

b, giving brown envelopes to the required people.

Of Course Eric you could also legislate to relax planning.

Seen as you can't get of your fat **** to do either why don't you just go away.

We'd be only to happy to, given the chance, you total and utter ******ing buffoon.

Yep, that comment hits the nail on the head. Abolish planning permission now and leave people to sue for rights of light if they think they have a case.

Of Course Eric you could also legislate to relax planning.

I suppose, to be fair, they have tried a bit:

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06418

It's nothing like enough though. Personally I think that planning permission should be abolished completely. If the government won't go that far then the next best thing would be to take it out of the control of the public sector in the same way that building regulations have been.

To be implemented after the election?

Exactly, WHEeeeeeeN!?! :angry: Do something!

This $hit could have been implemented in June 2010, yet nothing actually changes... just more wind :o.

Who votes for these twats?

+1 for loving the idea of building my own family home

+10000 for the fact that plots are just ridiculous. I can cram a small bungalow in a miserable village in South Cambridgeshire for about £250k for the plot. One that fits a decent 4 bed home with garden is over £400k.

Sounds like total madness. Why have they set a target of 20% self built? Why not a target for tractor production or cucumbers? Self build in units of one is never going to be cost effective for smaller, low cost homes. Not to mention incredibly risky and difficult to finance. It is 'free schools' all over again, political dogma over common sense.

How do they come up with 10% self built currently? I don't see very many new homes that were not obviously built by developers. Are these numbers worked out using the same logic as those on 'first time' buyers?

How do they come up with 10% self built currently? I don't see very many new homes that were not obviously built by developers. Are these numbers worked out using the same logic as those on 'first time' buyers?

The University of York did a report on self-build a few months ago in conjunction with Lloyds Bank. It gives a lot of detail.

Here's what they said about the volume:

"Establishing the size of the UK self-build market is a challenge and is subject to uncertainty. Various

estimates suggest that the self-build sector provides between 12-20,000 homes a year across the

UK, and perhaps between 5-9,000 homes in England (Calcutt, 2007; Ball, 2010; Griffiths, 2011).

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) data provide the best estimates of the scale of activity,

as many self-builders are able to reclaim the VAT on their build costs. However, as not all can, these

figures under-estimate the number of self-builds. The latest estimates of self-build activity derived

from HMRC data by the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG), suggest that

self-builders provided 11,890 homes in the UK in the 12 months to 30 June 2012. This represented

7.6 per cent of new supply, and 31 per cent of all detached homes (HRMR, 2012). The National Self

Build Association (NaSBA) estimates that between a quarter and a third of self-builds are organised

by the individual, but actually built by a main contractor, and that between half and two-thirds of

self-builds are organised and built largely by the individual, but they also hire and manage their

own sub-contractors. Kit home suppliers deliver around a tenth of self-builds and only a small

proportion are involved in a community self-build scheme."

http://www.york.ac.uk/media/chp/documents/2013/Lloyds_A4%20report%20v2-final%20NEWno.2.pdf