House Price Crash Forum

Madelein Mccann Police Issue New E-Fit Photos

Fully Detached

HOLA441

What's the use in a Crimewatch reconstruction of the Maddie incident for the benefit for the tiny handful of people watching that would have been in the resort at the time? Do they hope one of this tiny number might say, 'Ah, yeah, I was there the time she disappeared and I'd totally forgotten about it but, yeah, I saw a guy carrying a child away and I know who he is'.

The reconstruction will not be shown in Portugal for obvious reasons.

Moreover, isn't it traditional for a reconstruction to be staged in the location where the events being reconstructed took place?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

And as soon as possible after so that people have memory of things still.

Yes, and that. I'm afraid this was the Capricorn One of crime reconstructions.

HOLA444

This was already covered comprehensively in the early days of the original Portuguese investigation.

I don't want to come across like a keyboard warrior or some kind of obsessive. I've given this case only a cursory amount of attention and even I can see that the "official" version of events has more holes than my flat roof. There are people out there vastly better informed than I am. If you're genuinely interested there's no shortage of accurate information out there.

The Crimewatch programme was such a travesty that I can only assume that it had one intended outcome. I really, really, hope I am correct in this assumption.

I didn't watch it but whatever the point of last night's program it almost certainly wasn't about finding a missing child.

For me, the strangeness of this case stems from the way it's been played in the media and the psychological impact of the way it's been played. The nearest equivalent I can think of is the outbreak of mass-hysteria that was stoked-up after Diana died.

Government media gurus working as full-time spokespeople, large fund raising campaigns, meetings with world leaders, posters of the missing child slapped-up all over a country where she wasn't abducted, people being subliminally encouraged to assume polarised opinions wrt the parents...

I haven't the faintest idea what motivations are at work but, instinctively, I'm creeped out by it all.

HOLA445
HOLA446

You mean Portugal :ph34r: ?

I remember walking through run down parts of South London and seeing posters of that spooky photo all over the place.

Utterly irrational, utterly hysterical. More than a little creepy.

The bonkersness even managed to reach down as far as NZ.

HOLA447

I didn't watch it but whatever the point of last night's program it almost certainly wasn't about finding a missing child.

For me, the strangeness of this case stems from the way it's been played in the media and the psychological impact of the way it's been played. The nearest equivalent I can think of is the outbreak of mass-hysteria that was stoked-up after Diana died.

Government media gurus working as full-time spokespeople, large fund raising campaigns, meetings with world leaders, posters of the missing child slapped-up all over a country where she wasn't abducted, people being subliminally encouraged to assume polarised opinions wrt to the parents...

I haven't the faintest idea what motivations are at work but, instinctively, I'm creeped out by it all.

This. Absolutely. I don't like to get drawn into these kinds of thoughts too often, but there are some cases where you just can't help feeling that you are being psychologically manipulated to produce certain emotions. I'll leave it at that lest I should get too dark and esoteric (where is Erranta these days? I quite miss his posts) and end up sounding like a plonker, but I too wonder at the motivations at work...

HOLA448

They are saying now that they think she was targeted - which is scary in itself.

I assume that they mean someone or someones were looking for a young girl and that Maddie became the target and thus they set about planning how to kidnap her. Rather than it being an opportunist kidnapping.

I hope that is what they mean as the only other alternative is that someone was deblierately targeting her as an individual - if so, it - the kidnapping - probably would have happened at some other time. However, if they DO mean that Maddie was targeted for being Maddie then that opens up a whole new can of worms doesn't it.

The Dutch connection is being heavily reported in the Media today.

HOLA449

They are saying now that they think she was targeted - which is scary in itself.

Just out of interest where are they saying this TMT?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Government media gurus working as full-time spokespeople, large fund raising campaigns, meetings with world leaders, posters of the missing child slapped-up all over a country where she wasn't abducted, people being subliminally encouraged to assume polarised opinions wrt to the parents...

Something doesn't add up.....children go missing, in many instances children that are much loved that we never hear about, there was also Ben.....I really don't know how anyone can remember a face after six years, I couldn't identify someone I saw last week......are the implicating that Maddy was stolen to order? :unsure:

HOLA4413

Something doesn't add up.....children go missing, in many instances children that are much loved that we never hear about, there was also Ben.....I really don't know how anyone can remember a face after six years, I couldn't identify someone I saw last week......are the implicating that Maddy was stolen to order? :unsure:

That is the implication.

I think it is interesting how the McCann's links to Holland are being brought up now - I didn't know that they had lived in Holland for some time.

I think I am right in saying that Holland has long been associated with organised paedophile gangs but, frankly, I wonder how, if at all, that differs from the UK?

HOLA4414

There was a nearby Creche?! Despite Madeleine crying at being left alone, the McCanns still didn't think to use it. Give me strength.

I agree with you that they were wrong to leave the children. If one of them had got out and drowned in the swimming pool then it's doubly fair to say they were silly to do so however let's not forget that there appears to be a 3rd party involved. It's a bit like blaming somebody for getting raped when they walking home at night. You could argue they were asking for it. You get mugged for flashing your mobile about, more fool you. It's always the victims fault.

If you leave your kids like that then you're clearly not considering what will happen if they wake up sick or scared, however you wouldn't think they would get abducted either.

I don't like being away from kids, there's an invisible umbilical cord like one of those retractable dog leads attached to me, however my urge not to leave is fear over them being sad and needing me, not from somebody running off with them.

HOLA4415

I think people need to get past the whole "Why did they leave the kids alone?" thing.

I think people who keep harking on about the McCanns leaving her are just being cruel - how much more do such people want to beat this couple up mentally?

It has happened. It is in the past. It cannot be changed. They were wrong.

No doubt they have beat themselves up every single day since Maddie was kidnapped and will continue to go through hell over what they did for a long time to come.

But it happened. Nothing can change what happened.

The focus should be just on finding her.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If they had come out straight away and said they were wrong to leave them alone then fine. However they didn't - it has taken them 6 years.

And its not as if they have been quiet about coming out with all manner of other statements during that time either

This is the simple reason they are getting a hard time - and fully justified in many peoples opinions.

Any normal group of people in that situation would have either taken turns as responsible adult to look after all the groups kids - or put them into the creche.

Do they deserve to lose their child because of that ? Of course not. Do they deserve to be made to feel guilty and publicly condemned because of that ? I think yes.

HOLA4418

Have you listened to the womens hour interview with Kate?

No, it would help if you could direct us to which part of the interview we need to listen to. I don't have time to listen to a 30 or 40 minute programme if I only need to hear the sound-bite - do you know what bit we should listen to?

In fact, having just done a search on the BBC site, no programme makes mention of Kate McCann in it. Oh, hang on, is it this one from 2011!?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gwvc9

HOLA4419

Something very odd about this case. None of the "pieces" fit.

Strange parents, strange police investigations, strange media coverage, strange reactions from people.

As someone else remarked, it has something of the feeling that surrounded the death of Diana.

It'll never be solved IMO, if it is "solved" I'd expect it to be a cooked up story, like someone in prison saying their cellmate admitted the abduction just before hanging himself.

HOLA4420

No, it would help if you could direct us to which part of the interview we need to listen to. I don't have time to listen to a 30 or 40 minute programme if I only need to hear the sound-bite - do you know what bit we should listen to?

In fact, having just done a search on the BBC site, no programme makes mention of Kate McCann in it. Oh, hang on, is it this one from 2011!?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gwvc9

Nope this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/01/2007_32_wed.shtml

And don't forget to hurry up and watch the crimewatch before they take it off iplayer tonight.

HOLA4421

I think people need to get past the whole "Why did they leave the kids alone?" thing.

I think people who keep harking on about the McCanns leaving her are just being cruel - how much more do such people want to beat this couple up mentally?

It has happened. It is in the past. It cannot be changed. They were wrong.

No doubt they have beat themselves up every single day since Maddie was kidnapped and will continue to go through hell over what they did for a long time to come.

But it happened. Nothing can change what happened.

The focus should be just on finding her.

this...the crime was committed by the person who committed it.

It is possible the kid ran off and is in a pipe somewhere underground.

BBC reporting thousands of calls and some even naming the man, fitting the efit, who was seen dragging a kid down the beach at 10pm on the night in question...first Id ever heard of this snippit....

HOLA4422

The thing I find most astonishing is how they managed to get 2 babies and a 3 yr old in the same room to go to sleep by 9pm on holiday.

My kids would have been tearing lumps out of each other and screaming the place down if left for even 30 seconds and frequently did.

This 'story' has it all - The Pope, prime ministers, IVF conception, no body, possibility of resurrection......compared to the hundreds of thousands of other children who die prematurely or go missing without trace I'm really not sure why this one is somehow 'different'.

Awful for anyone of course, but the media coverage is completely bizarre. Sponsored by the PM and BBC too. Just plain weird.

HOLA4423

BBC reporting thousands of calls and some even naming the man, fitting the efit, who was seen dragging a kid down the beach at 10pm on the night in question...first Id ever heard of this snippit....

This has been known almost since day one. The witnesses even said they were 60% positive of the identity of the man, having seen him on television. But the existence of the Jane Tanner 9.15pm sighting had always rendered the later sighting less significant. Scotland Yard have now found a way of discounting the 9.15 sighting, meaning that they are now scrabbling to find further witnesses to the 10pm sighting. That was the whole point of the Crimewatch programme really.

HOLA4424

The thing I find most astonishing is how they managed to get 2 babies and a 3 yr old in the same room to go to sleep by 9pm on holiday.

Me too, but then I also can't imagine going on a family holiday and dumping my children on carers etc. at every possible opportunity. It's just one of many oddities, but the "tennis match" shown on Crimewatch, with Gerry and Kate knocking up and Madeline running around collecting the balls, never happened. It's an amalgam of different events.

HOLA4425

This has been known almost since day one. The witnesses even said they were 60% positive of the identity of the man, having seen him on television. But the existence of the Jane Tanner 9.15pm sighting had always rendered the later sighting less significant. Scotland Yard have now found a way of discounting the 9.15 sighting, meaning that they are now scrabbling to find further witnesses to the 10pm sighting. That was the whole point of the Crimewatch programme really.

And for some reason we can't state who this witness stated who they thought it was.

Not having a go at the mods. I appreciate this case includes all sort of hassle for websites.

I still find it very strange this can't be said though. Its a statement from a witness that is publicly available in lots of places.

Anyway - if anyone is wondering have a Google. Its the Irish family discussed on the programme last night (so can't see any issue stating that on here)

What was not mentioned on the show is who they thought it was. That's clearly the bit that can't be mentioned. Google will sort you out.

Archived